Good news sources: Mennonite World Review & Plain News

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Good news sources: Mennonite World Review & Plain News

Post by Josh »

There are two sources of news I think are credible. One is Mennonite World Review and the other is the Plain News. Their editors both read MD and probably will read MN too. You can write letters to the editor if there's something you don't like, and their advertising rates are quite reasonable.

Both of them are subscription-only, but I think that's a good thing. If we are getting news for "free", we are paying for it in some other way. The subscription costs much less than your Internet access does, and there are both online and print options.

So here's my question: in our discussions of fake news and how bad news sources are, why has there been zero discussion of Anabaptist news sources like MWR and Plain News?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Good news sources: Mennonite World Review & Plain News

Post by Ernie »

Plain News does not yet have a print version. Web and email only.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:Plain News does not yet have a print version. Web and email only.
I was thinking of the "fax via
email" edition, actually.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

So, who's subscribed to either of these?

At some point, if you aren't, and you value news from Anabaptist/Mennonite perspective, you don't really have much of a leg to stand on to complain about the "biased news media" out there, or "fake news". These outlets will live or die based upon your support. I'd like to see more of us supporting them.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote:So, who's subscribed to either of these?

At some point, if you aren't, and you value news from Anabaptist/Mennonite perspective, you don't really have much of a leg to stand on to complain about the "biased news media" out there, or "fake news". These outlets will live or die based upon your support. I'd like to see more of us supporting them.
I don't care if my news is fake, as long as it is free. :P
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote:

I don't care if my news is fake, as long as it is free. :P
You just summed up the whole problem.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I subscribe to Mennonite World Review and while I think there are issues with them, I generally think they do a good job as am independent news source on the Mennonite world. However, both MWR and Plain News are niche news sources with niche audiences and I wouldn't use them as a general news source for topics outside the Mennonite and Anabaptist world.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford