How Involved is God in Politics?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: How Involved is God in Politics?

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't think God is involved in politics. That is more Satan's realm. They are after all his kingdoms. God is building his kingdom which is in competition with the kingdoms of the world. As Reagan said, political is the second oldest profession in the world and it bears a stunning resemblance to the oldest profession.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I realize some Anabaptists are not allowed or would have trouble listening to this sermon or parts of it as they observe the outward appearance of the preacher but in this sermon on what Anabaptism is really about (and I recommend the whole sermon) the preacher dives into this area of involvement in politics from an Anabaptist perspective.

If you don't want to watch it all I recommend watching from the 10 minute mark through to around the 28 minute mark, 18 minutes of your time.

For those interested in what is at the core of Anabaptist Kingdom belief I recommend watching it all. For some reason I kept thinking of Wayne in Maine and some of his posts as I watched this.

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Dan Z wrote:
Joy wrote:Dan 4:13 I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;
Dan 4:14 He cried aloud, and said thus, ...
Dan 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
So Joy, how do you see this play out? You've quoted scripture - but how do you apply it in your thinking/beliefs?
My opinion? God gives a country the rulers they deserve.
Does God choose the rulers he wants at a particular time, or does he give people room to make that decision?
Perhaps He lets them choose the rulers by the way they follow Him, or don't.
Is voting simply an exercise in vanity then - making people think they have a choice when they actually don't?
No.
Does God appoint Supreme Court members - like those who in 1972 overturned the abortion prohibitions?
See above.
Is every ruler put in by God? Trump? Obama? Chavez? Churchill? Hitler?
I believe so.
Does that make God somehow responsible for their choices?
God is Sovereign.
God warned the Israelites what a king would be like, but they wanted to be like the other nations. So He gave them a tall, handsome young man, Saul, who seems to have lived up to the warnings the prophet gave the people.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.