Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:i understand your pov. there's a history you will never know about; thankfully. not worth knowing about. not just between boot and i. many voices have gone missing.
As Christians, reconciliation is at the heart of everything we believe in. If there is history that we need to work through, then let's ask the moderators to help us do that, in private. I would appreciate it if you could avoid public pot-shots, and if we could focus on discussing topics rather than discussing each other.

In this thread, I think Ben Carson is the topic.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

accusations of pot-shots are pot-shots.
even when combined with lots of big words.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Any idea what he would do as Secretary of HUD?
While this would not matter to me at all, it does to some others. He puts the right "face" on this. He can say things and do things in minority areas with much less calls of racism. I suspect we will see him work at improving housing, and security in the inner cities. He grew up in government housing. He used public libraries and other public resources to learn. I can also see him not being corrupt and using this as a way to gain himself, or his "cronies" around him.

We hear so little from the current Sec of HUD. Who is it anyway? I think Dr. Carson will be a strong presence and will make sure that it is not forgotten.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Did someone place a to-go order of reconciliation for two? ;)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:We hear so little from the current Sec of HUD. Who is it anyway? I think Dr. Carson will be a strong presence and will make sure that it is not forgotten.
That's probably true.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:
Robert wrote:We hear so little from the current Sec of HUD. Who is it anyway? I think Dr. Carson will be a strong presence and will make sure that it is not forgotten.
That's probably true.
[fained hurt and insult]
What? Are you being passive aggressive and saying the rest of what I posted was not true? :shock:
[/fained hurt and insult]
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:The list Jazz pointed to is about "fake news". They also have a list for breaking news:

Illustration of #1:
Trump has not offered Carson U.S. housing post

... though it's not entirely clear how much of this is news outlets getting things wrong and how much is things changing while they are being reported. Carson's fluidity, in particular, including the email quoted on p. 2, seems difficult to reconcile with an image of integrity.

Speaking of that email, it is distributed by an entity called Ben Carson News but copyrighted by Newsmax. Is Ben Carson News affiliated in any with with Dr. Ben Carson the real person, as the name seems to imply, or is it simply a Newsmax subsidiary? The suite at the address listed is currently available for lease, for what it's worth.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I heard an interview recently on NPR that credibly outlined a deliberate strategy on the part of the "dark ops" campaign operators to use social media targeting to proliferate salacious fake news headlines and articles, not in an effort to convince anyone to support their candidate, but to depress the voter turnout for the other side.

I think we underestimate how we are all pawns in the much bigger game of power-politics.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:Illustration of #1:
Trump has not offered Carson U.S. housing post

... though it's not entirely clear how much of this is news outlets getting things wrong and how much is things changing while they are being reported. Carson's fluidity, in particular, including the email quoted on p. 2, seems difficult to reconcile with an image of integrity.

Speaking of that email, it is distributed by an entity called Ben Carson News but copyrighted by Newsmax. Is Ben Carson News affiliated in any with with Dr. Ben Carson the real person, as the name seems to imply, or is it simply a Newsmax subsidiary? The suite at the address listed is currently available for lease, for what it's worth.
i have similar questions about the Newsmax link, and, these various reports, so, thank you.
during the campaign, there were so many misquotes, and accusations of outright evil intent, etc., as i've said before, i don't trust any source .. so accusations of worshipping Dr C, and other accusations, i do not understand. i believe i use abundant disclaimers. i try to watch for statements from sources WITH/FROM stated names, but, even those, as you may have found, must be questioned.

within your linked Reuters report, it states Trump and Carson are discussing these matters!
so, the Rueters' headline might be a bit sensationalized, too. :-|

not a done deal, either way .. the email i posted earlier today does not state the appt is a done deal. i guess some presume if such a position is offered/discussed, this equates to acceptance, whether or not it has been accepted. it's understandable to make this leap. but, it's still a leap.

part of it is reading comprehension. and avoiding presumptions.
this comes more easily to those who don't (hate) the person before they begin to read.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote:I heard an interview recently on NPR that credibly outlined a deliberate strategy on the part of the "dark ops" campaign operators to use social media targeting to proliferate salacious fake news headlines and articles, not in an effort to convince anyone to support their candidate, but to depress the voter turnout for the other side.

I think we underestimate how we are all pawns in the much bigger game of power-politics.
it seems voters are catching onto media manipulation.
0 x

UNKNOWN