MAGA Hats

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: MAGA Hats

Post by appleman2006 »

Szdfan wrote:I’m willing to circle back to this once more information is out because I’m seeing conflicting reports.

However, I do want to ask these questions:

What does “Make America Great Again” mean?
When was America great?
For whom was America great?
Why do you think people have negative associations to the phrase/slogan?
MAGA means exactly the same thing to me as "Hope and Change". Both were campaign slogans that helped a man in your country win the presidency.
Beyond that they are meaningless to me. President Obama certainly brought change but very little that inspired hope. In fact race unrest increased more in those eight years than in any time I have ever seen in my lifetime. And I thing history will show that President Obama will bare at least part of the blame for that.
And only time will tell as to whether America will be stronger and greater because of Trump's policies. I suspect that will not be the case but it is still a bit early to tell.
And as to why people have negative reactions to either of those slogans?
Elementary, my dear Szdfan. Because they do not like the persons behind the slogans.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

appleman2006 wrote:
Szdfan wrote:I’m willing to circle back to this once more information is out because I’m seeing conflicting reports.

When was America great?
MAGA means exactly the same thing to me as "Hope and Change". Both were campaign slogans that helped a man in your country win the presidency.
Beyond that they are meaningless to me. President Obama certainly brought change but very little that inspired hope. In fact race unrest increased more in those eight years than in any time I have ever seen in my lifetime. And I thing history will show that President Obama will bare at least part of the blame for that.
And only time will tell as to whether America will be stronger and greater because of Trump's policies. I suspect that will not be the case but it is still a bit early to tell.
Elementary, my dear Szdfan. Because they do not like the persons behind the slogans.
Good thoughts Appleman- all I can say is a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. Then how on earth would it be stronger and greater?
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Valerie wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:

When was America great?
Good thoughts Appleman- all I can say is a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. Then how on earth would it be stronger and greater?
You have a good point. Perhaps the slogan should be MAGA ABD

Make America Great Again All Become Democrats ;) Perhaps that would solve everything.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote:Please live or at least visit another country besides Canada for over a month. One week stays only allows ot be experience the tourist part. Longer stays you will see the issues that every state has. What I like the most about the US is the level of freedoms given its citizens. It surpasses every other state past or present that I know of.
Have you lived outside the US or Canada? What was that like? How did it compare to life in the US?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Szdfan wrote:
Robert wrote:Please live or at least visit another country besides Canada for over a month. One week stays only allows ot be experience the tourist part. Longer stays you will see the issues that every state has. What I like the most about the US is the level of freedoms given its citizens. It surpasses every other state past or present that I know of.
Have you lived outside the US or Canada? What was that like? How did it compare to life in the US?
Outside of Canada and the US which country would you rather live in Szdfan? Not a trick question. I am just curious.
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

appleman2006 wrote:Outside of Canada and the US which country would you rather live in Szdfan? Not a trick question. I am just curious.
The US is home and it’s where I feel most comfortable. When I say that America is home, it doesn’t mean that I think the US is the best or greatest nation on earth. I don’t think that exists.

I know I’ve talked about it before on MD, but it’s been a while. I spent a large part of my childhood overseas - I was born in Poland and grew up in West Berlin. Some of my earliest memories are crossing the Berlin Wall - which we frequently did - to visit churches and friends in East Berlin. After a stint in Delaware and suburban Chicago, we moved back to unified Berlin and I finished high school.

I love to travel and would love to spend time overseas again, but finances haven’t permitted it.

I haven’t been to Berlin since 2001, but there are still some spots there that I have a deep connection to. Home is home. I think it’s fine for people to love their home, but I also think that trying to rank countries against each other is a futile and pointless exercise. All places have their pluses and minuses.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Szdfan wrote: All places have their pluses and minuses.
After having lived in Liberia, Africa for 4 years, right after their 15 year civil war ended, I'm doubtful many Liberians would concur with this. At least the pluses. Liberia is not alone.
Last edited by GaryK on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Robert wrote:Another rush to judgment so soon after the Sandmann Phillips event? Shame on us.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42800/ac ... osh-hammer

Several media outlets referenced claims that appeared in TMZ's coverage of this matter, most notably that the perpetrators were white and yelled "this is MAGA country," as they attacked Smollett. But a spokesperson for the Chicago police denied having any information about the race and political views of the attackers.

"According to the victim, the offenders' faces were concealed," a police spokesperson told Reason. "We have no record indicating that [they shouted 'MAGA'], we only have record of them shouting racial and homophobic slurs at him."

Chicago police have also released a statement contradicting claims that Smollett identified his attackers' race and heard them shout "MAGA."

"We have no record of The MAGA Country comment," said the police in a statement. "We have racial and homophobic comments documented."
It has been very interesting to watch what happened with this incident on some of the major networks' websites today. You can hardly find any mention of it this evening.
1 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

GaryK wrote:
Szdfan wrote: All places have their pluses and minuses.
After having lived in Liberia, Africa for 4 years, right after their 15 year civil war ended, I'm doubtful many Liberians would concur with this. At least the pluses. Liberia is not alone.
Well, yes. I’m certain Venezuela is not the most fun place to live right now. Obviously, there is a difference between a country in the midst of civil war, or a failed state or famine or some other disaster and a relatively stable society.

East Germany was an autocratic society that collapsed as soon as enough of its citizens demanded reforms. But it was until 1989, a relatively stable place and following German reunification, many East Germans experienced “Ostalgie” (nostalgia for East Germany) even if few wanted to go back to that system of government.

I do think that most people, if they are able to meet their basic needs, feel pride and care for their homeland, which is why I think exercises in proclaiming one country the best or greatest is a futile exercise.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote:
I’ve lived outside the US and Canada (and am indeed outside of North America and the Western world right now) and I fully agree with everything Robert is saying.
0 x