Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Dr Ben Carson - Post 2016 Election

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:To me, Carson's world view is clearly opposed to a Two Kingdom understanding, and is not focused on a clear understanding of Scripture. Sadly, he has become a culture warrior. And he's taken quite a few "moral shortcuts".

I can list some of these, if you like. I'd rather focus on Mennonite and Anabaptist perspectives.
Of course his understanding isn't; he's a 7th Day Adventist with (what I feel) are flawed understandings of a lot of things. But I don't think he'll be a terrible director of HUD. And I don't think it's fair to call him a "culture warrior" just because he opposes things like abortion.

I guess I should ask what kind of person you think would be better. Like it or not, political figures in America have to take sides in the culture wars, although Trump has so far really avoided getting mixed up in the culture wars. But at some point, elected and appointed officials in America have to take a public stand on whether they think murdering unborn children is OK.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:So what does he propose doing that makes him any different than the "all talk" people he referenced?
That remains to be seen, doesn't it? i was surprised to read it's a consideration, but, Dr Carson did say he would step up, if needed.

Many are interested in seeing what non-career politicians, not-lawyers, will do, in positions of representation.

Certainly, appointing those with no related background to positions of specific leadership was the common way in obama's administration! Some significant fails in there. Often those appointed were replaced, obama skated.

i'm not interested in anticipating Dr Carson's failure, more interested in his general path.
it's interesting (to me) when those who have options to live in peace and luxury choose public service, certainly-not just in politics.

locally, i have had the privilege of knowing and, sometimes, working with non-political men who "gave of themselves" to others when they could have chosen lives of self-indulgence - while no one batted an eye! good role models.

when obama was elected, i did not vote, i would not have voted for him (lack of life experience) - my response was to pray for him to be led to be a great and effective leader for the U.S.

how are others responding in prayer to Trump's election?

i'm seeing very little news presently, but enough to see bitterness and anger. much of it from those who claim to be better educated, and, just generally, "better-than" others.
not a pretty picture.

one that tends to backfire terribly in Jesus Christ's presence.
we all must be careful of that.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:And I don't think it's fair to call him a "culture warrior" just because he opposes things like abortion.
Of course not. I also oppose abortion, I don't think that makes me a culture warrior.

I call him a culture warrior because his whole moral compass is about "liberal" versus "conservative", and he plays the game by the rules of the culture wars. He has been a huge apologist for excusing moral shortcomings in Donald Trump, there's no way that he would excuse the same shortcomings on "the other side".

And he has lied quite a bit about his own personal history, in ways that should make us think twice before thinking of him as a truth teller.

If we think of Trump and Carson as prophetic truth tellers, we're probably listening to the wrong voices.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:If we think of Trump and Carson as prophetic truth tellers, we're probably listening to the wrong voices.
Did I miss some candidate for election in 2016 who is a prophetic truth teller? I don't think Clinton fit this description.

I think Carson (like all of us) has a checkered past, but I think overall he is willing to say that a culture of rampant degeneracy and immorality isn't sustainable and needs to change. I don't see a big problem with him saying that.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:But I don't think he'll be a terrible director of HUD.
I have no idea if he will or not. I'll take a wait-and-see approach to that. He was certainly an excellent neurosurgeon. None of the posts here have been about HUD.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:If we think of Trump and Carson as prophetic truth tellers, we're probably listening to the wrong voices.
Did I miss some candidate for election in 2016 who is a prophetic truth teller? I don't think Clinton fit this description.

I think Carson (like all of us) has a checkered past, but I think overall he is willing to say that a culture of rampant degeneracy and immorality isn't sustainable and needs to change. I don't see a big problem with him saying that.
We don't have a thread devoted to the pronouncements of Clinton or Trump. Nobody is subscribing to one of their mailing lists and posting them here. Nobody is objecting to criticism being directed to what either of them says.

Back to my earlier posts: I think Carson is dangerously wrong about the First Amendment. We need a free media to stand up to government. This whole topic came up largely because the media reported on Trump's taxes, financial entanglements, accusations of sexual abuse and assault, etc. Carson has been vigorously defending Trump on these things.

As Christians, we should stay out of the moral swamp. And we certainly should not try to bully the media to keep them from reporting on it. The First Amendment is there for a reason.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I think Carson (like all of us) has a checkered past, but I think overall he is willing to say that a culture of rampant degeneracy and immorality isn't sustainable and needs to change. I don't see a big problem with him saying that.
But he is happy to defend rampant degeneracy and immorality in public if it's done by someone on "his side". I can understand that some people thought Trump was the better choice - there were no great choices in this election - but we need to at least be clear that Trump has serious moral issues, and we should not act like we can't see them.

This kind of thing really hurts our credibility as Christians.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: .. .. I think Carson (like all of us) has a checkered past, but I think overall he is willing to say that a culture of rampant degeneracy and immorality isn't sustainable and needs to change.

I don't see a big problem with him saying that.
i appreciate many of your thoughts, post-Trump election, and agree with this one, along with several others. to me, they indicate you are not afraid of Trump, not buying into the hype, which is a position of peace faith provides.

do you pray for leaders?
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MN's new byline could be: "boot, unhinged."
boot, really, calm down. enough. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

temporal1 wrote:MN's new byline could be: "boot, unhinged."
boot, really, calm down. enough. :)
I really don't appreciate your pot-shots at Boot.

Just because you almost "worship" Carson doesn't mean that those of us who don't are "unhinged". I was pretty disappointed when Carson put his weight behind Trump. That action spoke louder than words.
0 x