Good things about the Trump presidency

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Good things about the Trump presidency

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:
MattY wrote:(I agree with Rubio that the tax bill was tilted too far towards corporations).
I agree with Rubio on a lot of things. Still wish he was our president. He was a little frustrating in that he couldn't manage his personal finances and things like that, but overall I liked the man.
I remember him saying about Obama, “Our problem with President Obama isn’t that he’s a bad person. By all accounts, he too is a good husband and a good father and, thanks to lots of practice, a good golfer. Our problem is that he’s a bad president.”
Is it scriptural possible to "honor the king" and still say things like this? :)
Sure. Especially if it is said that politely
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:
MattY wrote:(I agree with Rubio that the tax bill was tilted too far towards corporations).
I agree with Rubio on a lot of things. Still wish he was our president. He was a little frustrating in that he couldn't manage his personal finances and things like that, but overall I liked the man.
I remember him saying about Obama, “Our problem with President Obama isn’t that he’s a bad person. By all accounts, he too is a good husband and a good father and, thanks to lots of practice, a good golfer. Our problem is that he’s a bad president.”
Is it scriptural possible to "honor the king" and still say things like this? :)
Sure. Especially if it is said that politely
keep in mind, Ernie, all the hub-bub thrown at Trump would have been thrown at Rubio, Cruz, Carson, Romney .. it would not have mattered, “who,” if not hillary. :-|

the inference that any other candidate would have had some ability, wisdom, charm, diplomacy, or other “reasonable” gift to bring to a very unreasonable situation is a fantasy. imho.

any other candidate may have had a well-earned nervous breakdown by now.

i can’t imagine any of them holding up against it. (not an insult to any!)
Trump just happens to be able to deal with it and carry on. i have no idea why or how.

but, i do know different people have different abilities+gifts. and, they are not man-created.
none of us is a creation of man.

my hope is, Trump will serve as the “pathfinder” that will allow better men to follow.
i.e., better than we’ve seen in decades.

cleaning up the mess created over decades will not be complete in 1 or 2 elections.
it will take sustained effort of many. it remains to be seen whether our youthful, youth-adoring U.S. is up for the challenge. a real challenge for the “instant gratification” mindset.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

I agree Temporal. While Trump is an easy target in some ways, politics is a very dirty sport in many ways and not getting any better IMO.
As far as I am concerned President Obama was treated very badly by many on the right as was President Bush by the left before him. In fact it seems to have gotten progressively worst for each President over the last number of decades. and I am sure that had it been Rubio or any of the others it would be just as bad.
Here in Ontario it only took a couple of days and already a well known local candidate has had to apologise for saying some very nasty uncalled things about our premier elect.

The whole thing makes me sad.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

I dislike most of the President's policies and I dislike his character BUT I've found some silver linings...
- he's a sifter/divider. Those christians worshipping power, money and national glory are being exposed, in contrast to those who endeavor to follow only Jesus Christ and His way.
- he's vigorously rubbing off the shine on the american-exceptionalist polish. The more isolated or chaotic we become and as other countries stop looking up to us, the closer we (country and citizens) are, if we choose so, to being more humble about our place in the universe. If we choose a proud way, we'll get to final debasement/dissolution even faster (and putting the american christian nationalist myth to rest, hopefully forever).
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Joy wrote:Lowest unemployment rate in 18 years.
Now it’s the lowest in 49 years.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:
Joy wrote:Lowest unemployment rate in 18 years.
Now it’s the lowest in 49 years.
Wow! That is almost in my lifetime.

Maybe you are going to need those thousands of people heading your way from the south just to fill the job positions.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

In fact I have an idea. Why not have a massive job fair set up just south of the border. Applicants could be interviewed by companies that need help and for those that fit the bill their green cards could be fast tracked and they could immediately be productive citizens.
In fact as far as I am concerned a model something like this should be how our immigration systems would work. I would probably add a three year probation period to that in which a person must be able to stay off of social assistance and not have any issues with the law in order to gain their full citizenship. There are solutions if people really wanted them.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I thought maybe the low unemployment rate was due to people heading north of your border. Canada is looking to raise its immigration numbers - I suppose that means the jobless rate in the US will go down even more.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I'll pile on here...another good hiring report this AM - 250K jobs created, 3.7% unemployment, 3.1% wage growth - all good numbers! I do believe the pro-business/low-tax climate encouraged by the Trump administration has played an important part in encouraging continued economic growth, building nicely on top of the recovery started under the Obama administration.

Now - if people would just learn to go to their jobs, collect their paycheck, take care of their families and neighbors, and be nice to others...
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Dan Z wrote:I'll pile on here...another good hiring report this AM - 250K jobs created, 3.7% unemployment, 3.1% wage growth - all good numbers! I do believe the pro-business/low-tax climate encouraged by the Trump administration has played an important part in encouraging continued economic growth, building nicely on top of the recovery started under the Obama administration.

Now - if people would just learn to go to their jobs, collect their paycheck, take care of their families and neighbors, and be nice to others...
:clap: except that we would say collect their paycheque!
0 x