Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Sending migrants on buses, trains, and planes...

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:32 pm Just because a city decides to be a sanctuary city, does not mean they need to be able to accept migrants at all hours and many bus loads at once.
There are many other large cities that are sanctuary cities that they can go to until their city of preference is ready to take them.

I help support and sponsor refugees, but I am not able to help more than a few at a time. If someone wants to be sponsored by me, they will need to wait their turn. If they want someone to sponsor them now, there are others in the US that can do that. Just because they want me to sponsor them on their terms does not mean I need to do what they want.
Could you concede that the country as a whole has a capacity, that has been exceeded. Therefore we can’t permit new arrivals?
No. I think they need to spread out across the country. There are still many businessmen who are looking for workers and can't find them. There are businesses that would like to expand if they could get more workers. But they are fined if they employee people without a work permit. Give them work permits and let them work. And let them pay taxes while they wait on their appointment with a judge in 5 or 10 years.

Once there are more workers than there are jobs available, then the country as a whole has reached capacity.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:41 pmHypocrisy? You bet. They want unrestricted migration, but want to shield their cities from the consequences.
They do not want unrestricted migration and they are not trying to shield their cities from migrants. They would love if Congress would bring order to the southern border and they would like to bring some order to the process of states transporting migrants to their cities. This is both Republican and Democratic mayors.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:41 pmHypocrisy? You bet. They want unrestricted migration, but want to shield their cities from the consequences.
They do not want unrestricted migration and they are not trying to shield their cities from migrants. They would love if Congress would bring order to the southern border and they would like to bring some order to the process of states transporting migrants to their cities. This is both Republican and Democratic mayors.
We had the sanctuary city debate in Baltimore. I get the New York Times on a daily basis. Until recently, they were highly critical of the Republican Party for advocating reparation of these border crossers. It included calls by their more left wing elements to abolish ICE.

Sanctuary City legislation means that the local law enforcement is forbidden to co operate with ICE in enforcement of immigration laws. In other words, we will protect you from the federal government.

This adds up to support of illegal immigration. What do you think sanctuary city legislation means anyway?
0 x
:hug:
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:20 pmWhat do you think sanctuary city legislation means anyway?
The same thing as what the Statue of Liberty stands for. But even while the Statue was welcoming tens of thousands of immigrants, the US government did process people for different things and did deport numerous people.

A sanctuary city says, You are welcome here.

The opposite conveys the message, "You are not welcome here."

And for the record, I do not feel empathy for those who cross the border at places other than points of entry, and their only reason for coming to the US is for a better life, and when the place they came from does provide them with a livelihood.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:58 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:20 pmWhat do you think sanctuary city legislation means anyway?
The same thing as what the Statue of Liberty stands for. But even while the Statue was welcoming tens of thousands of immigrants, the US government did process people for different things and did deport numerous people.

And for the record, I do not feel empathy for those who cross the border at places other than points of entry, and their only reason for coming to the US is for a better life, and when the place they came from does provide them with a livelihood.
Have you ever looked at the legislation that implemented a “sanctuary city”? What it actually says is we will not cooperate with ICE or CBP in finding and deporting illegal immigrants. The core of it is “we will give you sanctuary from deportation.” I actually live in one.
0 x
:hug:
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I don’t understand all the focus on how the kingdoms of this world function?
Couldn’t our time be better used living out ambassadors of the kingdom of God with whatever opportunities present themselves in the country we are in?
Pray that God would send labourers - why worry about politicians sending migrants?…. Isn’t the focus here backwards to the words of Christ?
Our neighbour is not the focus group we wish to target but those near to us. God will allow the right people to cross our path as we are open and eager to His leading rather than who we deem we need to reach.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 amI don’t understand all the focus on how the kingdoms of this world function?
When I notice ideology among Christians that I do not think is according to the spirit and teachings of Christ, I am going to first try to make sure I understand the ideology, and if I continue to conclude that the ideology is not of Christ, I am going to try to expose it.
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 am Couldn’t our time be better used living out ambassadors of the kingdom of God with whatever opportunities present themselves in the country we are in?
I believe that one of our jobs as ambassadors is to expose bad ideology among Christians. But yes, I think you are correct that our time should not just be focused on the bad ideology of politicians, but should be focused on meeting the needs of those around us.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:16 pm
Ernie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:58 pm

Have you ever looked at the legislation that implemented a “sanctuary city”? What it actually says is we will not cooperate with ICE or CBP in finding and deporting illegal immigrants. The core of it is “we will give you sanctuary from deportation.” I actually live in one.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-sanctua ... tuary-city
Sanctuary cities only refuse to cooperate with ICE. They do not pass along information or hold suspects for them. That is within the discretion of the states according to the Tenth Amendment and numerous Supreme Court cases involving many other issues. The federal government many no co-opt state officials to do their work for them.

If a State or locality wants to help, that is fine. The Federal government simply cannot force them. Sanctuary cities are simply localities that opt not to assist federal agencies in the enforcement of immigration laws.

At the same time, State officials may not interfere with or hinder federal agency enforcement of federal laws. If ICE does all the work itself, it is free to do so, as long as it acts according to law.
I don't have a problem with regional governments not cooperating with the federal government on issues like this. That is their constitutional prerogative in matters like these. And as I said elsewhere, I would not participate in deportation, but would rather encourage an undocumented immigrant to do the right thing or the best thing under the circumstances.
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:01 am
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 amI don’t understand all the focus on how the kingdoms of this world function?
When I notice ideology among Christians that I do not think is according to the spirit and teachings of Christ, I am going to first try to make sure I understand the ideology, and if I continue to conclude that the ideology is not of Christ, I am going to try to expose it.
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:27 am Couldn’t our time be better used living out ambassadors of the kingdom of God with whatever opportunities present themselves in the country we are in?
I believe that one of our jobs as ambassadors is to expose bad ideology among Christians. But yes, I think you are correct that our time should not just be focused on the bad ideology of politicians, but should be focused on meeting the needs of those around us.
I too soon forget you are in the moderate realm where some of these ideology may be more prevalent. The only “Christians” I know with such ideologies are clear Protestants. Sometimes I expect too much and am surprised at things.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Even amongst intermediates, politics seems to be more and more socially acceptable to discuss. Amongst my own groups Fox News seems to be a constant temptation, although at least people still view it that way. (Maybe 5% of people have a more “liberal” perspective, including myself.)
0 x