MAGA Hats

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: MAGA Hats

Post by MaxPC »

Dan Z wrote:Honest question: Are these hat styles below two sides of the same coin? Why or why not?
I personally think that focusing on a hat is ridiculous as so satirically and accurately highlighted by Babylon Bee. People have the right to wear what they choose to wear. If your wife were to wear her prayer cap in public how would you feel if someone got into her face about Christianity just because of her "hat". I think this entire hat-it-tude carries no weight whatsoever and is another excuse to talk politics or to berate a political opponent or........
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

MaxPC wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Honest question: Are these hat styles below two sides of the same coin? Why or why not?
I personally think that focusing on a hat is ridiculous as so satirically and accurately highlighted by Babylon Bee. People have the right to wear what they choose to wear. If your wife were to wear her prayer cap in public how would you feel if someone got into her face about Christianity just because of her "hat". I think this entire hat-it-tude carries no weight whatsoever and is another excuse to talk politics or to berate a political opponent or........
It would save a lot of grief Max if everyone in the country thought the way you do.

Now, do you have any thoughts about my question...?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:
I personally think that focusing on a hat is ridiculous as so satirically and accurately highlighted by Babylon Bee. People have the right to wear what they choose to wear.

:arrow: If your wife were to wear her prayer cap in public how would you feel if someone got into her face about Christianity just because of her "hat".

I think this entire hat-it-tude carries no weight whatsoever and is another excuse to talk politics or to berate a political opponent or........
agreed. and, this could certainly happen. everyday these situations come up, we get a step closer.

as well, no one is telling the deliberately dreadful “pink hat” wearers not to wear their hats, or attacking them for it.
far left libs are now so accustomed of being treated with tolerance they feel SPECIALLY ENTITLED to the point they feel justified to resort to “anything” to push their unwanted agenda.

hopefully, the courts will determine they have rights, but NOT special rights, in the U.S.
i believe this is a central point Robert speaks to.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Dan, I'm going to venture into the 'political' here and say yes, there is an ideological 'oppositeness' associated with the two 'causes', MAGA & the "kitty-cat movement" (I don't want to use the term they apparently use). But not exact 'oppositeness'. The MAGA 'battle cry' assumes that there was a better America in the past, and they want to bring it back. Leave off the 'Again', and talk about the 'America for the Americans' sort of idea, and I think that if it REALLY is intended to mean a 'better America for all Americans', then it also means a solution to the problems that plague the native peoples of the USA, and other minorities as well. The fact that there are some African Americans who are also taking up this battle cry indicates that some of them believe that it is for them as well - that 'making America great' will mean a better life for them and their children & grandchildren after them. If the movement succeeds in its goals as expressed by the President, will it do this? The opposition says that it means a return to open & unchallenged racism. Is there anything in his rhetoric that supports this charge? (I don't think so, but I don't listen to a lot of his speeches, so I don't really know.) But back to native Americans - Why is this issue so ignored?
But the kitty-cats are in an entirely different category. Racism in any form or in any person is evil. But limiting the behavior supported by the pinkcap people is a step in the direction of morality. (Well, legislating morality, which I do not this is effective, anyway. As I said in a post that was moved out of the border wall thread, I've been disturbed by the extent to which the March-for-Life ends up being more anti-abortion than it is pro-life, in terms of the rhetoric.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Dan Z wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
It would save a lot of grief Max if everyone in the country thought the way you do.

Now, do you have any thoughts about my question...?
Dan, son, I just did share my thoughts. Why do you want to continue dredging up the hostilities of worldly attitudes? We are supposed to be separate from all of this. To continue to acknowledge these political attitudes is a form of perpetuating them. I encourage you and all to focus more on what makes a good disciple instead of the mean-spirited attitudes and hat-it-tudes of the world. Philippians 4:8 speaks so very well on these things.

[bible]Philippians 4,8[/bible]
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

MaxPC wrote: ...Why do you want to continue dredging up the hostilities of worldly attitudes? We are supposed to be separate from all of this. To continue to acknowledge these political attitudes is a form of perpetuating them...
Brother Max, perhaps you're misunderstanding the intent of my question. I'm certainly not interested in perpetuating the hostilities of worldly attitudes - but if they exist, as a peacemaker and neighbor of these folks, I want to understand them. My hope for MN is that it can be a place where we can get our heads together to gain a deeper shared understanding of what is going on in the world around us.

In the post above, Neto shared some of what I would hope we could get to. Not a defense of his "team" (like these discussions usually devolve into), but some thoughts on what is going on and why. Hope that makes sense. :hug:

Saying you think focusing on these symbols is ridiculous is certainly your prerogative by the way, you are certainly welcome to abstain form a discussion like this. I will as well if this line of questioning is not possible without rancor.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Neto wrote:Dan, I'm going to venture into the 'political' here and say yes, there is an ideological 'oppositeness' associated with the two 'causes', MAGA & the "kitty-cat movement" (I don't want to use the term they apparently use). But not exact 'oppositeness'. The MAGA 'battle cry' assumes that there was a better America in the past, and they want to bring it back. Leave off the 'Again', and talk about the 'America for the Americans' sort of idea, and I think that if it REALLY is intended to mean a 'better America for all Americans', then it also means a solution to the problems that plague the native peoples of the USA, and other minorities as well. The fact that there are some African Americans who are also taking up this battle cry indicates that some of them believe that it is for them as well - that 'making America great' will mean a better life for them and their children & grandchildren after them. If the movement succeeds in its goals as expressed by the President, will it do this? The opposition says that it means a return to open & unchallenged racism. Is there anything in his rhetoric that supports this charge? (I don't think so, but I don't listen to a lot of his speeches, so I don't really know.) But back to native Americans - Why is this issue so ignored?
But the kitty-cats are in an entirely different category. Racism in any form or in any person is evil. But limiting the behavior supported by the pinkcap people is a step in the direction of morality. (Well, legislating morality, which I do not this is effective, anyway. As I said in a post that was moved out of the border wall thread, I've been disturbed by the extent to which the March-for-Life ends up being more anti-abortion than it is pro-life, in terms of the rhetoric.)
Interesting analysis Neto.

In a nutshell, I hear you saying that the MAGA hat has behind it sentiments that perhaps are inclusive - that if America becomes great again, it might become great for all people. But this sis still an open question, and I hear you wondering out-loud if this really does include all people (e.g. Native Americans). You also recognize that some people feel the MAGA message represents a return to a more racist ideology, where the greatness of america is not shared with all - but from what you know, you don't think there is a real strong case to be made for this. Time will tell if thMAGA ideals are for all.

The kitty-cat hats, on the other hand, are an opposite idea in a sense. I think you said that while the movement represents nods toward being for all people and against racism, it has an immorality at its center (I'm assuming abortion) that is anything but respectful of human rights. Did I get that right?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Possibly.

Both are forms of political speech.
Both are symbolic.
Both are provocative.

Whether they are flip sides of the same coin depends on whether one thinks Trump’s base and the Women’s March are mirror images of one another. I’m not convinced of that they are, even if they are reacting to each other.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Szdfan wrote: Possibly.

Both are forms of political speech.
Both are symbolic.
Both are provocative.

Whether they are flip sides of the same coin depends on whether one thinks Trump’s base and the Women’s March are mirror images of one another. I’m not convinced of that they are, even if they are reacting to each other.
Agreed - both are political, symbolic and (have become) provocative.

I don't think the MAGA hat was initially meant to be provocative - it was a rather hopeful campaign slogan at the beginning. It became more provocative over time. The pink kitty hat was in-your-face provocative from it's inception.

The flip-side idea definitely does have its limits. For example, to take the moral issues each hat represents and try to compare them is a mission in futility.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Dan Z wrote:I don't think the MAGA hat was initially meant to be provocative - it was a rather hopeful campaign slogan at the beginning. It became more provocative over time.
I’m not convinced that the slogan started out as hopeful, especially considering that Trump’s campaign had an element of “white grievance” to it. It’s a nostalgic slogan and it begs the question, when was America great and who was it great for?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford