Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Who do you think is going to win?

1. Trump
52%
2. Biden
48%

Total votes: 27

Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Poll: Who will win 2024 Presidency?

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:23 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 am That's because many people (correctly) perceive these trials as being biased, unfair, and basically political show trials. Americans don't like that.
Have you been paying any attention to the current trial?

Most any other person, after violating their conditions of release in other criminal trials, would be in pre-trial detention by now. The bias is greatly in this defendant's favor.
I think it's unlawful for a judge to try to prevent a lawful Presidential candidate from conducting a campaign by trying to restrict that person's first amendment right to political speech.

As I said, these kind of legal games and political lawfare are not impressing either Republicans or independent voters. (Independent voters are people who will vote either Republican or Democratic and are currently "undecided" on which candidate to vote for.) Hence it is the best thing that could happen to Trump's campaign.

Americans don't like the idea of muzzling someone and not letting them speak. If Trump is really so unreasonable, let him speak. Wouldn't the people then decide not to vote for him?
It's illegal for the defendant of a criminal case to intimidate witnesses, the jury and officers of the court, which is why there's a gag order.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am It's illegal for the defendant of a criminal case to intimidate witnesses, the jury and officers of the court, which is why there's a gag order.
Is that really what is going on?

I perceive it as suppression of political speech. Trump isn't "intimidating" anyone. And the witnesses seem quite unintimidated and have the support and backing of the largest, most powerful political party and constituency in America.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 am
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am It's illegal for the defendant of a criminal case to intimidate witnesses, the jury and officers of the court, which is why there's a gag order.

I perceive it as suppression of political speech. Trump isn't "intimidating" anyone. And the witnesses seem quite unintimidated and have the support and backing of the largest, most powerful political party and constituency in America.
Yes, that's really what's going on. Witnesses and court staff are getting threats, as Trump expects will happen, as the result of his attacks.

I think it would be fair for the judge to require the witnesses only to speak on the subject of the trial on the witness stand, and Trump only reply to what they say in the same way. I believe there was some such request made of Cohen.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This is a rather standard left-wing playbook by now: make up fake "threats", and then use it as an excuse why the First Amendment needs to be curtailed.

A large fraction of America isn't buying or accepting it anymore.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

NedFlanders wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:02 am
RZehr wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am
barnhart wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am
I'm also not enthused about the political system but neither am I despondent, nor do I feel I am being cheated or stolen from nor mistreated. A majority of the world's population would trade with me and take the deal on offer regardless of the next president or the next. I am quite blessed and grateful.

Maybe I have the freedom to feel this way because I hold earthly citizenship rather lightly.
Well said, exactly how I feel.

With regard to the two options, I choose to look at the positives of each one, instead of the negative.

For example, if I like the stability and predictability that Biden brings, then I choose to trust God on the matters I don’t like, such as furthering woke perversion, bureaucratic regulation choices, and his dementia.
With Trump, I may appreciate the policies that he promotes, judges, and being a peace monger, while trusting God on such matters as dictatorship, and rampant executive incompetence, and petty corruption.

I find it easier to honor and respect the President when I focus on the parts I appreciate, while leaving the other aspects up to God.
I never really understood what “white privilege,” was until I started realizing the incredibly different level of opportunity Mennonites raised people have had in North America.
I think this a good comparison. Small habits or practices applied regularly over a long period of time add up to something significant. That is called social capital.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 am

Yes, that is really what is going on. By attacking witnesses, Trump is deliberately painting targets on their backs. Knowing that they will receive endless death threats and harassment by Trump crazies. Which is exactly what has happened. Trump has an enormous megaphone and lots of violent and unhinged people who are listing to him.

These are mob tactics 101. The same exact thing that the Mafia tries to do when their leaders are put on trial. And if he keeps it up he should be tossed in jail just like any other mob defendant would be if they behaved the same way. Trump should be treated like any other defendant.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:07 pm

Yes, that is really what is going on. By attacking witnesses, Trump is deliberately painting targets on their backs. Knowing that they will receive endless death threats and harassment by Trump crazies. Which is exactly what has happened. Trump has an enormous megaphone and lots of violent and unhinged people who are listing to him.

These are mob tactics 101. The same exact thing that the Mafia tries to do when their leaders are put on trial. And if he keeps it up he should be tossed in jail just like any other mob defendant would be if they behaved the same way. Trump should be treated like any other defendant.
I find the stereotyping people who support Trump as crazies, violent, and unhinged, reprehensible and disgusting.

Democrat and Trump hater, Bennie G. Thompson introduced H.R. 8081. This legislation would reform the U.S. Secret Service’s protective mission by automatically terminating Secret Service protection for those who have been sentenced to prison following conviction for a Federal or State felony. There is some talk lately about Trump's death. If Trump were to land in prison and the Secret Service were taking away from him, no one would be surprised if one evening, no guards would be around and the security cameras were not working. And during that time Trump would be killed and it made to look like a suicide. Just like Jeffrey Epstein.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:09 am

I find the stereotyping people who support Trump as crazies, violent, and unhinged, reprehensible and disgusting.

Democrat and Trump hater, Bennie G. Thompson introduced H.R. 8081. This legislation would reform the U.S. Secret Service’s protective mission by automatically terminating Secret Service protection for those who have been sentenced to prison following conviction for a Federal or State felony. There is some talk lately about Trump's death. If Trump were to land in prison and the Secret Service were taking away from him, no one would be surprised if one evening, no guards would be around and the security cameras were not working. And during that time Trump would be killed and it made to look like a suicide. Just like Jeffrey Epstein.
Trump routinely says stupid things and it is no surprise that he ends up with a gag order while his trial is in session and then violating it. As for whether SOME of his supporters are crazy and unhinged, look no further than January 6. They will do some pretty idiotic things in his support. Obviously they are a small minority and don't resemble the average Trump supporter, but there were and probably still are some really idiotic characters that support him.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace

Post by Grace »

mike wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 am

Trump routinely says stupid things and it is no surprise that he ends up with a gag order while his trial is in session and then violating it. As for whether SOME of his supporters are crazy and unhinged, look no further than January 6. They will do some pretty idiotic things in his support. Obviously they are a small minority and don't resemble the average Trump supporter, but there were and probably still are some really idiotic characters that support him.
There will always be some supporters of political people who seem to be crazy. Like James Hodgkinson who shot six people at a Republican Ball game, almost killing Steve Scalise. Or Kathy Griffin's bloodied severed Trump head to Madonna yelling at a rally she wants to blow up the White House. And who can forget the current president saying he would like to take Trump “behind the gym and beat the h#&* out of him”.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:37 am
mike wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 am

There will always be some supporters of political people who seem to be crazy. Like James Hodgkinson who shot six people at a Republican Ball game, almost killing Steve Scalise. Or Kathy Griffin's bloodied severed Trump head to Madonna yelling at a rally she wants to blow up the White House. And who can forget the current president saying he would like to take Trump “behind the gym and beat the h#&* out of him”.
Of course there will be. But I think Trump was over the top in relation to the Jan. 6 riot in that he gave them the impression that he supported doing something stupid like crashing the Capitol but at the same time (hopefully) didn't give them enough verbal support to get himself pinned for whatever they did. I think that Trump was used to operating like this- getting other people to do his dirty work while distancing himself from it to protect himself from liability. Case in point paying off Stormy Daniels through his attorney.

I don't know that Trump should be pinned criminally for what happened on Jan. 6. I think they were all morons and Trump was really stupid. My point in bringing it up is that there is some justification for Ken saying Trump and Trump supporters have been associated with violence and mob tactics.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3