A letter I sent my senators, please consider similar.

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: A letter I sent my senators, please consider similar.

Post by Ken »

Outsider wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 am
Ken wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 am Wait. I thought you wanted the government to regulate social media like TikTok and that was the whole point of this thread.

Did you change your mind about that?
The first line in my post, if I recall correctly, was "Rather than banning TikTok..."
You want to prohibit anyone under age 21 from posting to or using TikTok. That is regulation. But you aren’t just talking about one platform. You are apparently talking about every single platform. There are hundreds that kids use, or maybe thousands. You would need to have a government agency review content on every single one to determine if they are appropriate for over 21 or under 21. Which will be an enormously Herculean task since social media isn’t static. It is an ever-changing individual stream that is different for every person.

And there are lots of social-media type platforms that students use in fields like education. So you can’t just kick kids off the internet. A lot of online learning uses those platforms. So back to having the government evaluate each site and app for material and content you consider appropriate for over 21 and under 21. And then putting the entire over 21 portion of the internet behind an age-based paywall. Which will be made more difficult still because much of it isn’t even based in the US. Web sites based in say France aren’t going to be interested in your regulatory regime. So we end up will a walled off internet such as they have in China.

Your proposal suggests that you have no idea how kids even use the internet these days.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr