Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby MaxPC » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:13 am

The media's noise and politics have always reminded me of Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5:
“To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”


Obamacare/ACA is collapsing already. At last count insurance companies have pulled out of participation in individual coverage in 30+ states. The costs are simply not sustainable. Individuals have found it cheaper to pay the fine than to pay the premiums of ACA/Obamacare.

Sound and fury, signifying nothing. God will take care of us.
0 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105

temporal1
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby temporal1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 am

not sure if this applies to ACA/UCA, but, it's "something:" :-|

"clawbacks" / CVS lawsuit (read around the annoying ads)
https://conservativedailypost.com/cvs-l ... c52a6551b6
The dispute surfaced when Shultz realized that the generic medication she paid $165.68 for could have been purchased without insurance for $92.
She’s angry that no one told her about the difference in price.
The allegation filed in Rhode Island states that CVS “remained silent and took her money.”
0 x
formerly Temporal1

“The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Bootstrap
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:59 am
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby Bootstrap » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm

MaxPC wrote:Obamacare/ACA is collapsing already. At last count insurance companies have pulled out of participation in individual coverage in 30+ states.


Where can I find that information?

What I can find is this: 40 counties (not states) will have no individual market provider in 2018, and a lot of the country has only one provider. This map shows which ones.

But the number of counties with only one provider is way too large.

More than 1,300 counties, primarily in 15 states, currently have only one insurer participating in 2018. Anthem and HCSC are the last man standing in one-third of those counties and states – putting those areas in particular at risk.


And all the drama and uncertainty in Washington may make this much worse.

“Right now the number of counties at immediate risk of having no insurers in 2018 is small, but it could easily grow significantly if a couple major insurers decide to exit,” Larry Levitt, health economist at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said.

Many insurers have been waiting for an answer from Trump or lawmakers on whether they will continue to fund $8 billion in annual government subsidies. Without assurances, many insurers plan to raise rates an additional 20 percent by an Aug. 16 deadline for premium prices. Others say that the many unknowns will make the business too risky.

The last-minute drama has left millions of Americans questioning whether they will have medical coverage next year.


Insurance providers need to set their prices by August 16th. That's 4 days away, and they have no idea if they will continue to get these subsidies or what Congress or Donald Trump will change before next year.

Donald Trump and the Republicans control the presidency and both houses of Congress. They campaigned on this issue. Donald Trump promised better healthcare, cheaper, with no cuts to Medicare, and said it was one of his highest priorities.

If the markets collapse next year because the government is no longer making the payments mandated under the Affordable Care Act, blaming that on the previous administration won't help. Hating Obamacare is not a plan. The previous administration can no longer govern, that's now the job of the current administration. Blaming other Republican leaders in harsh tweets isn't a plan either. Since he campaigned on this issue, it would be nice to see Donald Trump take some responsibility. "The buck stops here" is a good approach for a president (or a CEO).

But perhaps it's even better if Congress meets across the aisle to come up with bipartisan plans and take time to understand them. If every other prosperous nation can make this work, maybe we can too.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?

temporal1
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby temporal1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 am

1. ACA/UCA was in its present poor condition by 2016, it was not sustainable as it was/is.
Dems knew this, how could they deny it? .. no doubt, their response would have been to throw unending tax dollars at it to continue, while likely, expanding unsustainable coverage to evermore potential voters .. accountability is not on their radar.

2. Congress has identical problems today as it had in the prior 8 years .. a few career politicians claiming to be Republicans while consistently throwing one vote after another toward libs, with lots of folks blaming the entire RNC for these outcomes. also known as RINOS, or DNC plants. Congress continues to have a very low approval rating.

to make real progress will take a sustained effort by voters. decades of erosion will not be corrected in one or a few votes. it remains to be seen whether or not voters are up to the task. possibly. impossible to tell by "the daily noise" out there.

3. Blaming prior admin. lol.
obama wore out blaming W for "everything," to the point, no one listened to it anymore.

the fact is, W treated obama wonderfully during his terms as POTUS, W was a respectable role model that way. i was not a W fan, but, i was impressed with his behavior toward obama, after leaving office. he could have been angry+bitter. he did not choose that path.

how different things might be today, if obama behaved as W, or other retired presidents, toward the office. it would have been great, but, anyone paying attention for those 8 years would have known it was highly unlikely to happen. not his way of doing things.

4. Hating Trump is not a plan.
No. sorry. it is THE plan! (not sure what anyone expects to happen if they manage to succeed.)

5. Trump was a Democrat most of his life. most complaints/accusations against him are from those years. NO complaints then. he was A-OK with Dems all those years.

personally, i could not believe Trump was seriously interested in being POTUS.
i pretty much ignored him up until the last few weeks of the 2016 election.
i was in as much disbelief as anyone when he won in November.

but. he is our president, and, i'm amazed he's doing as well as he is.
i was not a Trump supporter; i'm not a Trump hater. i see no need for that.

who else could hold up against the horrible abuse thrown at him, day+night - not simply from the odd opponents/individual citizens, etc., but, from the entire DNC highest "leadership" (cough) who have sunk so low in their "cause" i don't see how they'll ever crawl out of their pit. they appear blinded and obsessive, what constructive outcome is possible?

however bad things appear under Trump, how much worse it could have been?
all signs are, much worse.

this would have been the response, no matter if it had been Trump, Romney, Paul, name one.
the difference being, somehow, Trump has the fortitude to keep going, no matter what is thrown at him.

it's as if he knows who they are, isn't it?! .. how would that have happened? ..
o.yeah. he spent his life as a businessman who had to deal with them+their mind-numbing political-legal games, all his life.

anyone who has been in business, or has been close to those in business, can relate to what Trump had to witness+experience, working and building .. with politicians+lawyers breathing down on every move. not everyone could cope with it. most couldn't cope with a business a fraction of the size. but, "everyone's an expert," when it comes to the peanut gallery (as Mr Jim might have said.) not that Mr Jim is a Trump supporter. i have no idea. he can speak for himself on that.

time will tell.
i'm not sure changes made now to ACA/UCA would take effect until 2019 (?)
i read something to this affect, not sure where.
but, it sounds logical.

ACA/UCA got off to an epic poor start. these big moves take time.

too much of this seems to be about protecting/funding Planned Parenthood/abortion.
"news" reports leave out important "details" in what these guys are really battling over.
things are not always as they appear.
1 x
formerly Temporal1

“The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children.” ― G.K. Chesterton

temporal1
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby temporal1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 pm

i have no idea how many people view this.
i'm not familiar with Jim Garlow.
here is a word about the Biblical approach to healthcare ..
which i believe to be little-known in the world.

"VIDEO: When it comes to our current healthcare crisis, the Church can make all the difference. Learn from best-selling author, pastor, and radio host @JimGarlow:"
https://www.facebook.com/myfaithvotes/v ... 305108631/

"My Faith Votes" is a group that was chaired, to my dismay, by Dr Ben Carson for a period.
i read about some things they do, but, i'm at odds over their premise, faith and votes.
0 x
formerly Temporal1

“The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Judas Maccabeus
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:13 am
Location: Maryland
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Bootstrap wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Obamacare/ACA is collapsing already. At last count insurance companies have pulled out of participation in individual coverage in 30+ states.


Where can I find that information?

What I can find is this: 40 counties (not states) will have no individual market provider in 2018, and a lot of the country has only one provider. This map shows which ones.

But the number of counties with only one provider is way too large.

More than 1,300 counties, primarily in 15 states, currently have only one insurer participating in 2018. Anthem and HCSC are the last man standing in one-third of those counties and states – putting those areas in particular at risk.


And all the drama and uncertainty in Washington may make this much worse.

“Right now the number of counties at immediate risk of having no insurers in 2018 is small, but it could easily grow significantly if a couple major insurers decide to exit,” Larry Levitt, health economist at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said.

Many insurers have been waiting for an answer from Trump or lawmakers on whether they will continue to fund $8 billion in annual government subsidies. Without assurances, many insurers plan to raise rates an additional 20 percent by an Aug. 16 deadline for premium prices. Others say that the many unknowns will make the business too risky.

The last-minute drama has left millions of Americans questioning whether they will have medical coverage next year.


Insurance providers need to set their prices by August 16th. That's 4 days away, and they have no idea if they will continue to get these subsidies or what Congress or Donald Trump will change before next year.

Donald Trump and the Republicans control the presidency and both houses of Congress. They campaigned on this issue. Donald Trump promised better healthcare, cheaper, with no cuts to Medicare, and said it was one of his highest priorities.

If the markets collapse next year because the government is no longer making the payments mandated under the Affordable Care Act, blaming that on the previous administration won't help. Hating Obamacare is not a plan. The previous administration can no longer govern, that's now the job of the current administration. Blaming other Republican leaders in harsh tweets isn't a plan either. Since he campaigned on this issue, it would be nice to see Donald Trump take some responsibility. "The buck stops here" is a good approach for a president (or a CEO).

But perhaps it's even better if Congress meets across the aisle to come up with bipartisan plans and take time to understand them. If every other prosperous nation can make this work, maybe we can too.


Insurers HATE uncertantity, and that is why there is a mass exit of some of these markets. The "tweet storms" do not help this, as they tend to increase the price, as insurers will price in the risk of a worse case scenario.

I would not rule out insurers wanting to be in a situation where there is no competition and therefor exiting markets where they cannot price as they like due to the existence of another carrier.

Currently, rather than the buck stopping, I suspect that some have a cattle prod at the ready.

J.M.
2 x

temporal1
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby temporal1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 am

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Insurers HATE uncertantity, and that is why there is a mass exit of some of these markets. The "tweet storms" do not help this, as they tend to increase the price, as insurers will price in the risk of a worse case scenario.

I would not rule out insurers wanting to be in a situation where there is no competition and therefor exiting markets where they cannot price as they like due to the existence of another carrier.

Currently, rather than the buck stopping, I suspect that some have a cattle prod at the ready.
J.M.
you have good insights and perspective.
i couldn't begin to count the times i wished obama would employ some buck-stopping, rather than passing-the-buck. not confined to health care. the clintons were/are adept at it.
i no longer expect to see it end.

without all that happened in the prior terms, there would be no Trump in office. it would not have happened. (in my mind) the DNC pretty much elected him - by ignoring-insulting, half or more of the citizenry, in various ways.

ordinary people, the unorganized majority, preferring the status quo, will take so much for so long, but, eventually, that will end.

ACA-UCA failed. not sure it ever had a promising outlook. short life.
by 2016, it failed, Dems recognized/admitted it.
their response is the same, regardless which failing endeavor: throw more taxpayer dollars at it, and, call it a win. even into the trillions. when commiting other peoples' money, the sky is the limit.

interesting how Congress members have no problem protecting their own interests! top-notch!
they go brain-dead when it comes to doing their stated jobs: representing the legal citizenry.
0 x
formerly Temporal1

“The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children.” ― G.K. Chesterton

MaxPC
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Full time RVers
Affiliation: Catholic
Contact:

Re: Why do People Hate Obamacare?

Postby MaxPC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Insurers HATE uncertantity, and that is why there is a mass exit of some of these markets. The "tweet storms" do not help this, as they tend to increase the price, as insurers will price in the risk of a worse case scenario.

I would not rule out insurers wanting to be in a situation where there is no competition and therefor exiting markets where they cannot price as they like due to the existence of another carrier.

Currently, rather than the buck stopping, I suspect that some have a cattle prod at the ready.

J.M.

Good one :lol:
Yep.
0 x
Max (aka Plain Catholic)
Psalm 105


Return to “Current Events and Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests