Spiritual whoredom/ backsliding

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Spiritual whoredom/ backsliding

Post by KingdomBuilder »

How should Christians respond to backsliding/ backsliders?
Can help be offered? If so, how? What can we do to work towards retrieving an erring soul?
If not, then what are we to do?

Verses used to support both thoughts include:
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[c] away, to be brought back to repentance. Hebrews 6:4
Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Spiritual whoredom/ backsliding

Post by temporal1 »

i fight this battle with myself everyday, all day and all night long.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

temporal1 wrote:i fight this battle with myself everyday, all day and all night long.
Well hopefully some people wI'll think this is worthwhile enough to respond. None yet, though...
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KB: the title of this thread is a real attention-grabber!! :mrgreen:

From my own experience it depends on the type of backsliding. If it's a case of being with the wrong kind people who exert a bad influence, you find a way to surround the person with good and encouraging fellowship.

If it's an addiction, then give fellowship and help them get professional help.

If the backsliding is a temporary misstep in the narrow way of discipleship then encouraging fellowship will bring them back.

A spiritually mature mentor is also helpful. Encouragement and prayer for the person is essential. This will help the person to freely choose to repent. They have to be around the good example of others and seeing the others choosing to repent, the individual will know the right way to turn.

If after a time (a year or so) no progress is made it may be that this person has a different lesson to learn from God, much like the prodigal. In those cases he or she may leave the fellowship and your friendship for a time to be shaped by God through others.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:How should Christians respond to backsliding/ backsliders?
Can help be offered? If so, how? What can we do to work towards retrieving an erring soul?
If not, then what are we to do?

Verses used to support both thoughts include:
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[c] away, to be brought back to repentance. Hebrews 6:4
Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20
To me, the story of the prodigal son is an example of a son backsliding and wandering away from home to later come to his senses and return to the father. His faithful brother didn't care for the way his father received him back as the father received him back with open arms and even threw a party. If we are going to be like the father and not the brother, we will do the same. This did involve true repentance on the sons part and admitting that to be received back, he didn't really deserve it.

I think the main issue here is that the son, regardless of his backslidding, still was able to repent. He had not turned his back on his father. I personally lived this experience of shutting out God for a period of years and God reached me as a lost sheep out wandering away from home. I know what this welcoming back is like and it truly is amazing grace. Another scripture to Christians who shut out Christ for awhile is Christ standing at the door and knocking to be let back for restored fellowship. If any of us will open that door He promises restoration.

I'm very thankful of those who came along side me with loving guidance.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Roger
Affiliation: Conserv. Anabaptist

Post by Roger »

I'm very thankful of those who came along side me with loving guidance

To me, that's a key point that we cannot overlook. Matthew 18 is clear on the steps to restoration of a backsliding Christian. Have we taken the time to go to our brother/sister and discuss with him the need we see in his life, and be aware that possibly we've misjudged him? Then are we willing to continue our care for him by taking the next step and sharing with another brother and ask him to also pray for and possibly talk to the backslider? Or do we just quickly run and tattle to the ministry and think "hopefully they'll take care of this situation?" We can't make a sinner repent, but we sure can make it look attractive to repent.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Roger wrote:I'm very thankful of those who came along side me with loving guidance 8-)

To me, that's a key point that we cannot overlook.
Matthew 18 is clear on the steps to restoration of a backsliding Christian.
Have we taken the time to go to our brother/sister and discuss with him the need we see in his life, and be aware that possibly we've misjudged him?
Then are we willing to continue our care for him by taking the next step and sharing with another brother and ask him to also pray for and possibly talk to the backslider?

Or do we just quickly run and tattle to the ministry and think "hopefully they'll take care of this situation?"

We can't make a sinner repent,
:arrow: but we sure can make it look attractive to repent.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:KB: the title of this thread is a real attention-grabber!! :mrgreen:
using memorable, infrequently used words sure helps out when searching archives. :P
0 x

UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

temporal1 wrote:
MaxPC wrote:KB: the title of this thread is a real attention-grabber!! :mrgreen:
using memorable, infrequently used words sure helps out when searching archives. :P
I do like to and real in some response with an interesting title...
In all seriousnesses, though, I like the term "spiritual whoredom". It's heavy, graphic, and it conveys well the disgusting things going on in "backsliding". It pairs well with the idea of a Covenantal relationship being defied.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Thanks to all who have responded!

So far, we've mentioned some good texts to look to in relation to this topic. From the NT, the story of the prodigal soon and Matthew 18- I think these are both good! From them both, I can see restoration for the spiritual adulterer. From the OT- Hosea is a classic piece of scripture, and rightfully so.

In times when I have struggled with spiritual loosening, the message through prophet Jeremiah offers me a lot of comfort and guidance.
“Only acknowledge your guilt, that you rebelled against the Lord your God and scattered your favors among foreigners under every green tree, and that you have not obeyed my voice, declares the Lord.”
‭‭
Jeremiah‬ ‭3:13‬ ‭ESV
‬‬

I really like this verse, as I think it sums up how repentance should go after backsliding. I realize backsliding takes many forms, but I imagine that this can be applied to every one.

With all of these verses in mind, how can we practically, meaningfully interact with those who we fear are backsliding? How to deal with them in gentleness and love?
0 x