Spiritual whoredom/ backsliding

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Spiritual whoredom/ backsliding

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote: With all of these verses in mind, how can we practically, meaningfully interact with those who we fear are backsliding? How to deal with them in gentleness and love?
Some things I did might help.

-Simple low key friendship. I would get to know them.

-I would invite them for a meal or a coffee and get them to talk about themselves, their joys, their sorrows. I was genuinely happy to see them.

-Call them up and ask how they are doing. If they need help with a repair or other task I would try to help.

-I kept the conversation light. No heavy preaching or teaching: sometimes I'd share how I was blessed that day.

-If they seemed ready I'd invite them to church. I'd let the pulpit do the heavy preaching so I could maintain a lighter conversation.

To sum up, I placed friendship front and center in my interactions and prayed for their hearts to hear the prompting of the Holy Spirit. It takes a great deal of time and effort but helping the Lord win another soul is worth it.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote: With all of these verses in mind, how can we practically, meaningfully interact with those who we fear are backsliding? How to deal with them in gentleness and love?

-I would invite them for a meal or a coffee and get them to talk about themselves, their joys, their sorrows. I was genuinely happy to see them.

-Call them up and ask how they are doing. If they need help with a repair or other task I would try to help.

-I kept the conversation light. No heavy preaching or teaching: sometimes I'd share how I was blessed that day.

-If they seemed ready I'd invite them to church. I'd let the pulpit do the heavy preaching so I could maintain a lighter conversation.

To sum up, I placed friendship front and center in my interactions and prayed for their hearts to hear the prompting of the Holy Spirit. It takes a great deal of time and effort but helping the Lord win another soul is worth it.
i’ve been thinking along these lines, too.
important, too, if ways can be found to get THEM talking about themselves, sometimes, in the process of articulation, our faults become clear in unexpected ways .. self-scrutiny can be key. trust is a requirement to getting doors to open. defensiveness closes doors.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:
MaxPC wrote:

i’ve been thinking along these lines, too.
important, too, if ways can be found to get THEM talking about themselves, sometimes, in the process of articulation, our faults become clear in unexpected ways .. self-scrutiny can be key. trust is a requirement to getting doors to open. defensiveness closes doors.
Exactly!!!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I think Max left some excellent advice here and I'm going to add one thing to it. Be willing to make yourself vulnerable and share your own difficulties, challenges, etc. You maybe don't need to share everything and some things might be totally improper to share depending on the setting, but love is vulnerability in my opinion. If you hide behind a screen of religious and spiritual perfection you'll likely be alienated from the people you're trying to reach.

It's easy to think that showing your weakness will make the other person feel negative towards you, your church, your faith, etc. I'd argue that the opposite is true, if it's done in proper humility and without any attempt to smooth over unrepented sin or make excuse for it.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

CADude wrote:I think Max left some excellent advice here and I'm going to add one thing to it. Be willing to make yourself vulnerable and share your own difficulties, challenges, etc. You maybe don't need to share everything and some things might be totally improper to share depending on the setting, but love is vulnerability in my opinion. If you hide behind a screen of religious and spiritual perfection you'll likely be alienated from the people you're trying to reach.

It's easy to think that showing your weakness will make the other person feel negative towards you, your church, your faith, etc. I'd argue that the opposite is true, if it's done in proper humility and without any attempt to smooth over unrepented sin or make excuse for it.
Amen and amen :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)