Unconverted worshippers?

General Christian Theology
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Unconverted worshippers?

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Thinking about the altar that Paul referenced to The Unknown God and also John 4:23- "the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

So, question- Is it possible for men and women to truly worship God before they have been converted?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Unconverted worshippers?

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Thinking about the altar that Paul referenced to The Unknown God and also John 4:23- "the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

So, question- Is it possible for men and women to truly worship God before they have been converted?
I used to play on a worship team when I wasn’t concerned and sang songs. Sometimes it even felt good and spiritual.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

That doesn't answer the question. Can you say that you were worshipping in spirit and in truth during those times?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Thinking about the altar that Paul referenced to The Unknown God and also John 4:23- "the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

My answer is 'yes'. I think it possible to be mis-guided to think one is truly worshipping God through one's religious worship practices but as Jesus pointed out that some will bring this up at judgment time and Jesus will say He never knew them. For whatever reasons they did these practises they were never 'converted' which I believe is born of the Spirit or born again.,
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote:That doesn't answer the question. Can you say that you were worshipping in spirit and in truth during those times?
I don’t know. Was God’s Spirit there? Definitely. Truth? Well, the songs were pretty scriptural.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

From Mark 6:

1And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes. 2And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: 4Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him. 5And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones. 6But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him, 7And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

It seems you don't have to be converted to worship God- but in Spirit & Truth- I am not sure- since studying early Christianity- "Born Again" was always referenced as one's baptism- converstion would be your change of life, repentance, going from an 'unbeliever' to a "Believer"- but apparently one can worship God prior to conversion it seems?

Probably one's definition of 'worship' could make a difference
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I thought that to worship God in spirit means that one's own spirit (or soul) is in communion with God. So to worship in spirit is something more than "a spirit of worship". Am I way off in my understanding of this scripture?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

It is easy for me to see how any person can worship in spirit. I think it just means that they have a worshipful or reverent spirit - they aren't just saying words that they do not mean. They have a level of sincerity and awe.
I have difficulty with an understanding how an non Christian can worship in truth.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

RZehr wrote:It is easy for me to see how any person can worship in spirit. I think it just means that they have a worshipful or reverent spirit - they aren't just saying words that they do not mean. They have a level of sincerity and awe.
I have difficulty with an understanding how an non Christian can worship in truth.
Do you think the two can be separated? I think Jesus' words would suggest otherwise.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh

Post by Josh »

Jesus told Nicodemus “Ye must be born again”. No baptism involved.
0 x