Denominationalism

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Denominationalism

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
gcdonner wrote:How come people always quote this verse to support a huge gap of time, but never the opposite?
I dont think people always do at all. The creation, the birth of Jesus, the crucifixion, etc. are all very short times (on our scale) that have eternal significance.
Well, you just proved my point...your application is for a long period of time...as usual.
When was the last time you heard someone use it to say the reason something happened so quickly even though we thought it would be a long time is proved by Peter's statement?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Valerie wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Valerie wrote: 8But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
How come people always quote this verse to support a huge gap of time, but never the opposite?
Apostle Peter was speaking prophetically and so we can apply this passage when people point out how long the Lord is tarrying- and Apostle Paul pointed out as well there were folks that were saying His return had already happened, and he had to address that as well- this passage is a reminder that 2000 years to the Lord, is like 2 days- His timetable is not ours-
Fortunately it was Peter who qualified this statement as well as did the writer to the Hebrews.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

gcdonner wrote:When was the last time you heard someone use it to say the reason something happened so quickly even though we thought it would be a long time is proved by Peter's statement?
Create a new thread if you want to keep pursuing this, please.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
gcdonner wrote:When was the last time you heard someone use it to say the reason something happened so quickly even though we thought it would be a long time is proved by Peter's statement?
Create a new thread if you want to keep pursuing this, please.
I'm not pursuing it, if others choose to they may call me to another thread. Biblical integrity is important to me.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Okay... returning to the idea of denominationalism-

A few months back, I'm quite certain I read some publication by a Mennonite conference that, in my memory, asserted that members should marry within their conference. Am I getting this confused with something else (very possible), or is this something held and enforced in some CM groups?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Roger
Affiliation: Conserv. Anabaptist

Post by Roger »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Okay... returning to the idea of denominationalism-

A few months back, I'm quite certain I read some publication by a Mennonite conference that, in my memory, asserted that members should marry within their conference. Am I getting this confused with something else (very possible), or is this something held and enforced in some CM groups?
Yes, there are a few groups that hold a fairly high standard on this, one for sure, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Course, for that to work properly, there needs to be a pretty high membership, and I think it's between 25-30,000 worldwide at this point.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Roger wrote:

Yes, there are a few groups that hold a fairly high standard on this, one for sure, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Course, for that to work properly, there needs to be a pretty high membership, and I think it's between 25-30,000 worldwide at this point.
On the other side of the equation are the Hutterite communities and Amish groups that are importing men from the world just to impregnate their women to avoid the pink eye syndrome.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

gcdonner wrote:
Roger wrote:

On the other side of the equation are the Hutterite communities and Amish groups that are importing men from the world just to impregnate their women to avoid the pink eye syndrome.
I didn't know this was a thing. Just like that huh? Seems like it would be easier to just go to a sperm bank if this is the case. :roll:
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Roger wrote:
I didn't know this was a thing. Just like that huh? Seems like it would be easier to just go to a sperm bank if this is the case. :roll:
That would require acquiescence to science.
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

gcdonner wrote: On the other side of the equation are the Hutterite communities and Amish groups that are importing men from the world just to impregnate their women to avoid the pink eye syndrome.
Your source? I've never heard of this. If by "importing" you mean converting or proselytizing then I think you're word choice is poor. If you're indicating that Hutterites and Amish are encouraging or demanding fornication/adultery with the "English" to try to enlarge the gene pool, I'd be extremely surprised if this were truly the case. That would be a terrible rumor to be spreading.
0 x