General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Denominationalism

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Roger wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Okay... returning to the idea of denominationalism-

A few months back, I'm quite certain I read some publication by a Mennonite conference that, in my memory, asserted that members should marry within their conference. Am I getting this confused with something else (very possible), or is this something held and enforced in some CM groups?
Yes, there are a few groups that hold a fairly high standard on this, one for sure, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Course, for that to work properly, there needs to be a pretty high membership, and I think it's between 25-30,000 worldwide at this point.
On the other side of the equation are the Hutterite communities and Amish groups that are importing men from the world just to impregnate their women to avoid the pink eye syndrome.
Huh?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Roger wrote:

A few months back, I'm quite certain I read some publication by a Mennonite conference that, in my memory, asserted that members should marry within their conference. Am I getting this confused with something else (very possible), or is this something held and enforced in some CM groups?
Yes, there are a few groups that hold a fairly high standard on this, one for sure, the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Course, for that to work properly, there needs to be a pretty high membership, and I think it's between 25-30,000 worldwide at this point.
Most CA groups encourage or mandate marriage within their own group plus groups similar to them. Marrying someone more conservative is OK. Marrying someone a lot less conservative is frowned upon.

A notable exception are German Baptists who treat marriage as essentially a secular matter.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:
Roger wrote:

Most CA groups encourage or mandate marriage within their own group plus groups similar to them. Marrying someone more conservative is OK. Marrying someone a lot less conservative is frowned upon.

A notable exception are German Baptists who treat marriage as essentially a secular matter.
This somehow strikes me as eliteism and a lack of trust that God can and will work His mission out in the hearts of those who love Him. Separation from the world is one thing but separation from other believers because they have a different focus in their group ? I doubt Jesus would approve. Well, thats my 2 cents worth.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Most CA groups encourage or mandate marriage within their own group plus groups similar to them. Marrying someone more conservative is OK. Marrying someone a lot less conservative is frowned upon.
Seems borderline one-true-churchy.. does it not?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Roger
Affiliation: Conserv. Anabaptist

Post by Roger »

This somehow strikes me as eliteism and a lack of trust that God can and will work His mission out in the hearts of those who love Him. Separation from the world is one thing but separation from other believers because they have a different focus in their group ? I doubt Jesus would approve. Well, thats my 2 cents worth.[/quote]

I'm not saying that view is 100% correct, but thinking practically here, how would one mix two cultures (as in dress style, style and places of worship, etc etc) were they to marry outside of their circle? Why disrupt family relationships just because one could?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote:Most CA groups encourage or mandate marriage within their own group plus groups similar to them. Marrying someone more conservative is OK. Marrying someone a lot less conservative is frowned upon.
A Beachy Amish person would be delighted if their son wanted to marry a girl in Midwest Fellowship or Keystone. They’d be okay with Pilgrim or BMA. They’d be a little concerned if he went for someone in Nationwide.

They’d be grumpy if he went for a girl in CMC, and devastated if went for a Catholic girl.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
A Beachy Amish person would be delighted if their son wanted to marry a girl in Midwest Fellowship or Keystone. They’d be okay with Pilgrim or BMA. They’d be a little concerned if he went for someone in Nationwide.

They’d be grumpy if he went for a girl in CMC, and devastated if went for a Catholic girl.
So I can understand this to a certain degree if we are in favor of sectarianism/denominationalism, which the majority here seems to support sects being good & necessary-
The question is then, can one be "unequally yoked with a Believer"? In other words, we know the warning of not to be unequally yoked with an UNbeliever- there is nothing said in all of the NT to be equally yoked by way of choosing a spouse within your own sect (that is because there were no sects in the New Testament Church)
However, since there is NOW- one could see that the 'slippery slope' is the fear that runs through much of Anabaptism.
I can understand this to a degree when we are certain our particular fences, is what keep our sheep from going astray-
Also, it is difficult to be 'like minded' when we have become a Church of many sects- so it only stands to reason, to have a harmonious marriage, why would one 'choose' a spouse in a sect that is not like-minded with their own? It seems you would already be starting off with difficulty- marriage is not easy, let alone adding this kind of situation on purpose, being from different levels of conservatism or liberalism of Anabaptism- one could see the dilema.

For that matter I have witnessed in the larger body of Christ where spouses do not seem to be on the same level of spirituality and it can be an issue-
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I’m not sure it would be a good idea for me to marry a Muslim, for example.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:I’m not sure it would be a good idea for me to marry a Muslim, for example.
THAT IS totally unscriptural to consider (Do not be unequally yoked with an unbeliever (2 Corinthians 6:14)

I know that because different denominations believe differently/interpret differently it MIGHT be wiser for a more harmonious relationship to marry within one's denomination -
Where we come from, a Pentecostal would have a more difficult marriage with a Baptist- for example- their viewpoints on things like gifts of the Spirit would probably be an issue-
If a couple marries and then changes their preferance, well remain in the marriage of course regardless- but for the sake of recent posts I can see how it would work better to marry within one's denomination
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Roger wrote:This somehow strikes me as eliteism and a lack of trust that God can and will work His mission out in the hearts of those who love Him. Separation from the world is one thing but separation from other believers because they have a different focus in their group ? I doubt Jesus would approve. Well, thats my 2 cents worth.

I'm not saying that view is 100% correct, but thinking practically here, how would one mix two cultures (as in dress style, style and places of worship, etc etc) were they to marry outside of their circle? Why disrupt family relationships just because one could?[/quote]

I think this would need to be discussed between the two getting married whether they were willing to alter their religious practises to join the other's group. What we have in our church are many who leave both of their groups as they leave mom and dad and find a church were they can serve God together. And sometimes mom and dad have trouble accepting this but I have seen this healed over time and especially when grandchildren come along. But when we marry we begin a new life together creating our new families.

If someone choses to continue with the head covering in our church, they would not be harassed over it as they should do what they believe the scripture requires of them. It probably is more of an issue where these 'cultures' have such great importance.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit