Denominationalism

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Denominationalism

Post by Josh »

What evidence is there 1 Corinthians 6:14 has anything to do with marriage?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:What evidence is there 1 Corinthians 6:14 has anything to do with marriage?
In the churches I've been in since i first became a Christian, that passage was always cited why one can't marry an unbeliever- thinking of what it means to be "yoked together" with someone- this would not be limited to marriage, but certainly would apply to marriage

Correction- it is 2 Corinthains 6:14, not 1 Corinthians-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:What evidence is there 1 Corinthians 6:14 has anything to do with marriage?
In the churches I've been in since i first became a Christian, that passage was always cited why one can't marry an unbeliever- thinking of what it means to be "yoked together" with someone- this would not be limited to marriage, but certainly would apply to marriage

Seems like adding something to scripture that it doesn’t plainly say.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:

Seems like adding something to scripture that it doesn’t plainly say.
Seriously Josh? how can you interpret that any other way- ask you pastor if you could marry a Muslim. Ask him if theres anythi ng scriptually that would discourage unbelievers and Believers to be "yoked together" if they dont even encourace crossing conservative to liberal anabaptist (that would be adding toScripture) than how could one miss the meaning of that passage?
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

CADude wrote:
gcdonner wrote: On the other side of the equation are the Hutterite communities and Amish groups that are importing men from the world just to impregnate their women to avoid the pink eye syndrome.
Your source? I've never heard of this. If by "importing" you mean converting or proselytizing then I think you're word choice is poor. If you're indicating that Hutterites and Amish are encouraging or demanding fornication/adultery with the "English" to try to enlarge the gene pool, I'd be extremely surprised if this were truly the case. That would be a terrible rumor to be spreading.
I will look for the documentation. It was posted on the now defunct Mennodiscuss several years ago, with documentation.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:So I can understand this to a certain degree if we are in favor of sectarianism/denominationalism, which the majority here seems to support sects being good & necessary-
Well, if a church is going to grow, there are two main ways to accomplish that: either you have a lot of converts, or you have a lot of sects. Maybe both strategies are good and necessary.

I really hope George is misremembering. I don't recall anything of the sort.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited