Do we block God's blessings?

General Christian Theology
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Do we block God's blessings?

Post by steve-in-kville »

This has been on my mind the last week or so. Maybe it has to do with our recent change in churches or perhaps I'm looking at things in a different light.

Do we "jinx" ourselves? Is it possible that we do things to avoid God's blessings?

Example: Some folks appear to have it all together... abundance of wealth, happy family, good health, etc. Others seem to struggle in about every area of their lives... mental health issues, financial problems, addiction, children go astray and so on.

Is it possible to sabotage ourselves??

Discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Do we block God's blessings?

Post by Josh »

What does the New Testament describe as blessings?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:This has been on my mind the last week or so. Maybe it has to do with our recent change in churches or perhaps I'm looking at things in a different light.

Do we "jinx" ourselves? Is it possible that we do things to avoid God's blessings?

Example: Some folks appear to have it all together... abundance of wealth, happy family, good health, etc. Others seem to struggle in about every area of their lives... mental health issues, financial problems, addiction, children go astray and so on.

I think the key here is: which are the true blessings? Are they really about health and wealth?

Or are they these?
The Beatitudes Mt 5:2-12
2 And (Jesus) He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
The first half of each beatitude doesn't really match up to the world's ideas of blessings.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Two verses come to mind:
He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Do not extinguish the Spirit.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

steve-in-kville wrote:This has been on my mind the last week or so. Maybe it has to do with our recent change in churches or perhaps I'm looking at things in a different light.

Discuss.
Some families with good health and abundance of wealth have children who go astray. Others who have abundance of wealth have no end of health problems. Addiction does not necessarily go with financial problems but may result in that outcome. Mental health and addiction issues are found among otherwise healthy and/or wealthy families.
0 x