The Purpose of Communion

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: The Purpose of Communion

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Again I ask, which of you can make yourself worthy of the body and blood of Christ?
Unworthily vs irreverently definitions aside, and laying aside the silly issue of oneself making oneself worthy, there is such a thing as being worthy of communion.
If no one is worthy, then communion was instituted for no one. I think if Jesus says we are worthy, then we are worthy. Certainly without Him we are unworthy.
If I’m wrong, then why is it okay to say none is worthy, but then say that a preacher can’t make the same call?
Silly?
God says we are unworthy, what the preacher says doesn't matter, but you continue to miss the point obviously.

The issue is not about being worthy or unworthy at all, it is about our attitude in taking communion with reverence, respect, and consideration of the body. Your attitude reveals that you don't understand the issue at all. It is men who have tried to determine who is worthy and who is not, God has declared that we are all unrighteous, therefore we are all unworthy, but again, THAT IS NOT THE POINT!.
Paul was speaking of attitude, not aptitude.

When you attitude is wrong, then you are subject to judgment. Paul also says, "Let a man examine himself". How do you insert a preacher into that?
Traditions of men make the Word of God of none effect.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

So if God says we are unworthy, and the preacher says we are unworthy, the preacher is incorrect? :)
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:So if God says we are unworthy, and the preacher says we are unworthy, the preacher is incorrect? :)
:pray :pray :pray
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

gcdonner wrote:
RZehr wrote:So if God says we are unworthy, and the preacher says we are unworthy, the preacher is incorrect? :)
:pray :pray :pray
:hug:
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I like that distinction. God has made me worthy to particpate in communion with others that He also made worthy and when I do I should consider my attitude towards both God and other believers. That is what the Corinthians were sinning about, their attitude and Paul pointed out where their attitude was showing itself in their actions toward God and others.

In today's sermon our pastor talked about this righeousness (worthiness) we receive as a gift and also our pursuit of right living that keeps us safe from the consequences of sin as referred to in this text as sicknesses and deaths. As 2 Timothy 1:9 puts it that it is God who saves us and calls us to live a holy life. Not because we deserve it but because it was His plan from the very beginning to show His grace through Jesus Christ. And now walking in newness of life our attitude toward God and others is very important and we are doing warfare when we push back against slothful and irreverent attitudes. Self examination is very important with regard to our attitude in our orthopraxy.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

We celebrated communion today at our church. I thought it apropos that the hymn chosen to precede the sacrament was, "Just as I am".
1 Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

2 Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

3 Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

4 Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:George, I didn't read Hats Off's post the way you did. Maybe Hats Off can clarify what he meant ...
I read his post as saying that I wasn't reading the scripture for what it said, you think he meant that he wasn't reading what I wrote for what I was saying???
I don't know who he was responding to, and without that, I can't interpret it. Here are his words:
Hats Off wrote:So ultimately we should not read what is written; substituting what we think instead. I am sorry for my part in bringing the communion threads to where we are now.
I agree that these threads have a whole lot of speculation and "I think" instead of just carefully reading the text in context. That's why I tried to just point out a few connecting words and quote the passage in context. A text without a context is only a pretext.

But it's more useful to use that as a reminder for how to move forward, not try to figure out who should be blamed for things already said.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

gcdonner wrote:
The issue is not about being worthy or unworthy at all, it is about our attitude in taking communion with reverence, respect, and consideration of the body. Your attitude reveals that you don't understand the issue at all. It is men who have tried to determine who is worthy and who is not, God has declared that we are all unrighteous, therefore we are all unworthy, but again, THAT IS NOT THE POINT!.

When you attitude is wrong, then you are subject to judgment. Paul also says, "Let a man examine himself". How do you insert a preacher into that?
I regret my part in bringing this thread to this point. I feel I gave someone the opportunity to REALLY TELL US the right and wrong about communion and attitude.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

I regret my part in bringing this thread to this point. I feel I gave someone the opportunity to REALLY TELL US the right and wrong about communion and attitude.
Does anyone claim to be infallible about conclusions that have been drawn regarding Communion and the passages that we are left with to try to discern?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:Does anyone claim to be infallible about conclusions that have been drawn regarding Communion and the passages that we are left with to try to discern?
Not me.

One of the purposes of communion is to stop debating theology, decide to be one in Jesus Christ, and serve each other by washing each other's feet. No infallibility required.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?