The Purpose of Communion

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

The Purpose of Communion

Post by Sudsy »

From the 'frequency of communion' thread gcdonner posted -
I find that most Christians have a lack of understanding of the purpose of communion, and also it's importance. Too often it is made into a "test" of fellowship, which, imo, totally misses the point. I would enjoy entering a discussion on the purpose of communion again. It is one of the most important things we can share and experience as believers together, along with footwashing, which is missing in most of Christianity.
This topic has grabbed my attention recently and I would love to learn from others how they view and experience taking communion (the "Lord's Supper" as some put it). It has always concerned me regarding the consequence spelled out in that text regarding participating 'unworthily'. Have we missed paying attention to a possible reason for sickness and immature death in our congregations ? What else regarding this have we missed ?

Also, some of us here regard this practise as a 'closed' practise while others, like my own MB church, regard it as a more 'open' practise for all born again believers. Perhaps the arguments for each can also be presented. We can leave the footwashing for another thread, if you don't mind.

Maybe a poor place to begin but I will start by saying that the part of 'examining ourselves' seems to me to be regarding the behaviour of those in the Corinthian church as can be read in preceding verses but it also seems to go beyond that.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: The Purpose of Communion

Post by Hats Off »

This do in remembrance of me.

As oft as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death till he come.

1 Cor 11: 17-34 is always read at our communion services just prior to breaking the bread. It explains to me why we keep communion and the purpose of examination of one's self prior to taking part. To me it also helps explain why we have closed communion.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Looking forward to gcdonner's explanation on how the point is missed on the purpose of communion.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:This do in remembrance of me.

As oft as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you show the Lord's death till he come.

1 Cor 11: 17-34 is always read at our communion services just prior to breaking the bread. It explains to me why we keep communion and the purpose of examination of one's self prior to taking part. To me it also helps explain why we have closed communion.
This is essentially the rationale in Catholic world. It reminds us weekly of the price with which we were bought and how we are to strive to remain worthy in our discipleship. Those who go to Mass on a daily basis do so with that intent as well. We are only required to attend Mass weekly but can do so daily if we prefer.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

1Co 11:27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 
28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 
29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 
30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 
31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 
32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Before I express my thoughts on this passage, I will ask a question:
Who amongst us can make ourself "worthy" of the body and blood of Christ?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Are we questioning the Word?

Can we make ourselves unworthy?
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

gcdonner wrote: Who amongst us can make ourself "worthy" of the body and blood of Christ?
Only Jesus can provide the necessary covering for sin. Or what's your point?
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Paul evidently thought one could eat the bread and drink the cup unworthily. It seems to me that a simple reading of the text suggests that the purpose of examining oneself is to ensure one is worthily eating the bread and drinking the cup.

I think there is a difference between what Paul means by worthily eating the bread and what is meant by the leading question "who among us can make ourself worthy," which seems to be asked in order to prompt the answer of "no one."

When I consider the full witness of the NT, I am left with the fact that it says that all have sinned, and that some are unworthy of Jesus, and that some are worthy to walk with Him.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Very good response!
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:Are we questioning the Word?

Can we make ourselves unworthy?
You are misunderstanding the Word, which is my point exactly. We are all unworthy, our righteousnesses are as filthy rags according to the Word. If you can make yourself worthy, in the sense that you are inferring then we don't need the sacrifice of Jesus life or his resurrection. He died just because we are unworthy.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth