The Purpose of Communion

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: The Purpose of Communion

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
GaryK wrote:How can you have the possibility of eating and drinking unworthily without the possibility of eating and drinking worthily? Or replace unworthily or worthily with any other word to describe what Paul is getting at and you can't have one without the other. You seem to be implying that one can't eat and drink worthily.

You say correctly "Only Jesus makes us worthy to stand before a Holy God". So if we are worthy because of Jesus and we come to the communion table having examined ourselves to make sure we are not unworthy to eat and drink why is it impossible to come to the communion table worthy to eat and drink?
I don't think he is implying that. I think he is saying that (1) Paul tells individuals to examine themselves, he doesn't encourage leaders to decide for them, and (2) Paul's main concern in this passage is that brethren are being excluded from fellowship in communion because of factions and selfishness, which is still a danger today. Even for leaders.

One of the reasons the Body of Christ is broken is that we have turned the sacrament of unity into a sacrament of division. As did the Corinthians. The Body of Christ is broken because we keep choosing to break it.
Thank you.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

So ultimately we should not read what is written; substituting what we think instead. I am sorry for my part in bringing the communion threads to where we are now.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:So ultimately we should not read what is written; substituting what we think instead. I am sorry for my part in bringing the communion threads to where we are now.
You have it wrong, we are to read what it says and NOT what we think it says. The KJV is not inspired and it is written in archaic English, the term "unworthily" doesn't mean to us what it meant originally. In todays English, which you and I speak, it would be better translated as irreverently, an unworthy manner, common manner. I guess you didn't read my posts at all...

We should read what was written by the authors who were inspired by the Holy Spirit, and not impose our understanding of a word in an older translation upon the Spirit inspired writings.

But I guess you would say if the KJV was good enough for Jesus then it should be good enough for you too, right?

BTW, my bible translation of choice is the KJV for what it is worth, but I also understand that many of the translations of words are not consistent with what they mean now.

A simple illustration. When I was growing up the word "gay" meant someone who was happy, but today it means someone who is homosexual. They look the same, they sound the same, but they definitely don't mean the same.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

George, I didn't read Hats Off's post the way you did. Maybe Hats Off can clarify what he meant ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:George, I didn't read Hats Off's post the way you did. Maybe Hats Off can clarify what he meant ...
I read his post as saying that I wasn't reading the scripture for what it said, you think he meant that he wasn't reading what I wrote for what I was saying???
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

gcdonner wrote: Again I ask, which of you can make yourself worthy of the body and blood of Christ?
Not me, thats for sure. All the glory is His who made me worthy. His mercy has made me His own.

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Sudsy wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Again I ask, which of you can make yourself worthy of the body and blood of Christ?
Not me, thats for sure. All the glory is His who made me worthy. His mercy has made me His own.

AMEN!
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

The beauty of taking communion in a reverent, respectful way is that we can expect the opposite of partaking in a slothful manner. We may expect strength, healing and extended life, as well as forgiveness of our sin and the renewed empowerment of victory over sin and temptation. Remember the reason that Jesus died was two fold, to pay the penalty of sin, which is death, but also to set us free from the bondage of sin and by the power of the Spirit to overcome sin.
His bitter cup, becomes a cup of blessing for us.
He is worthy of all our praise. Let us cling to the grace that he imparts to us.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Unworthily vs irreverently definitions aside, and laying aside the silly issue of oneself making oneself worthy, there is such a thing as being worthy of communion.
If no one is worthy, then communion was instituted for no one. I think if Jesus says we are worthy, then we are worthy. Certainly without Him we are unworthy.
If I’m wrong, then why is it okay to say none is worthy, but then say that a preacher can’t make the same call?
Last edited by RZehr on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

RZehr wrote:
Unworthily vs irreverently definitions aside, and laying aside the silly issue of oneself making oneself worthy, there is such a thing as being worthy of communion.
If no one is worthy, then communion was instituted for no one. I think if Jesus says we are worthy, then we are worthy.
If I’m wrong, then why is it okay to say none is worthy, but then say that a preacher can’t make the same call?
Well said. This is the point I was getting at in my last post.
0 x