The Purpose of Communion

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: The Purpose of Communion

Post by Sudsy »

'Let a man examine himself' - yes, I need to examine my attitude toward those who disagree with me as we only know in part.

It is sometimes hard to express what I am convinced to be a truth when others see things differently. “A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.” Something for me to keep working on.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Ignorance is bliss?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:Does anyone claim to be infallible about conclusions that have been drawn regarding Communion and the passages that we are left with to try to discern?
Not me.

One of the purposes of communion is to stop debating theology, decide to be one in Jesus Christ, and serve each other by washing each other's feet. No infallibility required.
Regarding the foot washing part, I think what Jesus was demonstrating was an example that those who want to be great in God's eyes must allow themselves to be less in the eyes of man. Normally, a lowly servant, in man's eyes, would wash the feet of someone not so lowly. We should, as Philippians 2:3 says, in humility esteem others better than ourselves as we serve them. Jesus used an example from the culture and practise of that day to make His point. I wonder today how many that do this practise have the same sense of doing a lowly serving when we do not have this today as a lowly serving practise to compare to.

I do agree that the unity in Christ and lowly attitude toward one another reflected in love and serving are purposes along with the remembrance of Christ's death.

I was raised in a monthly communion service and a once a year foot washing ceremony where few attended. From the stories I heard, the foot washing was more of an 'obedient fun ceremony'. If that was the case, the point was likely missed. Sounded like the attitude in this also needed self examination.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

What do CA's think about Communion in the ancient church? Do they seek to look back as an example for the present? Does it warrant much thought?

What's the general consensus?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I once faced a situation where I had a choice to partake in communion with someone living in adultery (no divorce here) where it was a well known fact.

I decided to leave instead. I am interested in hearing how my actions “brought division to the body of Christ”.

Should we partake of communion with unrepentant, known adulterers?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:What do CA's think about Communion in the ancient church? Do they seek to look back as an example for the present? Does it warrant much thought?

What's the general consensus?
Generally CAs do not base their practice on the early church. If there is an appeal to authority, it is generally to the New Testament.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I wonder, after reading through all this, if two or three of you could just sum up in 1 sentence (2, tops) what you believe is the purpose of communion. I would appreciate it tremendously.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Remembering together with other believers Christ dying on the cross for us and all the significance of it.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:I once faced a situation where I had a choice to partake in communion with someone living in adultery (no divorce here) where it was a well known fact.

I decided to leave instead. I am interested in hearing how my actions “brought division to the body of Christ”.

Does the sin of adultery hold more weight than the sin of gossip or slander, etc. if one is to selectively take communion with others ? At our church we are told to focus and examine ourselves, not the sin(s) of others.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:
Josh wrote:I once faced a situation where I had a choice to partake in communion with someone living in adultery (no divorce here) where it was a well known fact.

Does the sin of adultery hold more weight than the sin of gossip or slander, etc. if one is to selectively take communion with others ? At our church we are told to focus and examine ourselves, not the sin(s) of others.
I would not commune with people caught in those sins either who were unrepentant of them. I believe a Christian should go to a brother he is in close enough fellowship with to go to communion with, and should admonish him (gently) if he sees gossip and slander in his life.

The Bible does say to examine yourself, and every participant should do that. It does not say that communion is an isolated, solitary act between myself and God. It's supposed to be something that takes place between multiple believers.
0 x