homosexuality

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

homosexuality

Post by Neto »

A interesting article that I think expresses well my own thoughts about this issue - that the temptation is not the sin, it is giving into it that is sin.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 ... -goal.html
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: homosexuality

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:A interesting article that I think expresses well my own thoughts about this issue - that the temptation is not the sin, it is giving into it that is sin.

You can read part of the article until you have to be a subscriber-
We agree with what you said, the temptation is not the sin- HOWEVER- it seems like any other stronghold where it starts in the thoughts-
2 Corinthians 10:
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

The woman who is in the article, started letting her thoughts & imaginations start getting the best of her- if you have not been raised reading & understanding Scriptures, & how the enemy of our soul works as well, and how to take every thought captive, then you fall prey to the enemy's schemes.

There are many Christians who came 'out' of the gay life and even though God has not changed their inclinations towards the same sex, they have at least decided that they would rather live single than live in sin. "Thoughts" can be sinful if we let them get carried away & we enjoy them-

A woman at Chuch who is 70, widow, recently shared with us her 'attack' by satan through a man at church that was making advances at her. She explained even at 70, she was battling temptation, his face would pop in her mind at night when she went to bed- and she did SPIRITUAL WARFARE-
Guess what- she gained the victory quickly-
James said "Resist the devil and he will flee"

Her story in the article brings to mind so many things that these folks seem to have in common- and that is sad- others claim they came from perfectly strong Christian households- I feel like satan targets people in this area- and open the door an inch and he kicks it wide open.

I agree that the sin would be to give in to this temptation, we are all tempted, but I think moreso if we have failed some tests & he knows our weaknesses.

It is beautiful testimony, those homosexuals who have decided to live celibate for Christ!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote:
Neto wrote:A interesting article that I think expresses well my own thoughts about this issue - that the temptation is not the sin, it is giving into it that is sin.

Hum. That's the way it was where I first saw it, then I searched on her name, and found the Christianity Today article, where I was able to read the entire article, and I am not a subscriber. I'll see if I can get back in, and copy the article. (Would it be illegal to post it here?)

Anyway, she does mention that many Christians in her position (with her attractions) do live single lives, but she married. She says that she did not feel a physical attraction to him, but he knew that, and loved her anyway, and she came to love him as well, even though she is still faced with temptations, and so says that God is helping her to live a holy life, even though she is not 'cured'. We all face some temptation or another, and I think that it is important to not 'beat ourselves up' over that, because that gives Satan an edge to condemn us, where there is no condemnation. I believe that is why we look forward to the time when our salvation will be complete - when we are transformed into his likeness, when we see him face to face.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:
Valerie wrote:

Hum. That's the way it was where I first saw it, then I searched on her name, and found the Christianity Today article, where I was able to read the entire article, and I am not a subscriber. I'll see if I can get back in, and copy the article. (Would it be illegal to post it here?)

Anyway, she does mention that many Christians in her position (with her attractions) do live single lives, but she married. She says that she did not feel a physical attraction to him, but he knew that, and loved her anyway, and she came to love him as well, even though she is still faced with temptations, and so says that God is helping her to live a holy life, even though she is not 'cured'. We all face some temptation or another, and I think that it is important to not 'beat ourselves up' over that, because that gives Satan an edge to condemn us, where there is no condemnation. I believe that is why we look forward to the time when our salvation will be complete - when we are transformed into his likeness, when we see him face to face.
Thank you for the article- I think there is much that can be gleaned & concluded from it's content & her own personal experience- you know, many sins start just that way- curiosity, obsessive thoughts- well it's just the progression of how James states it- and then death- could be physical (as in drugs) or spiritual- however God redeemed her. To her, getting married was perhaps the way to go because she wanted to please God & her husband- therefore- it was like 'cutting off the hand' or 'plucking out the eye' to save the soul- making a choice that would help keep her from sin.

It's not easy to read these stories, it can be upsetting in some ways but she has a testimony that can help others! He will make beauty from ashes if we but seek Him, obviously the Father was drawing her- it wasn't her fault, how her soul had been tampered with at such a young age.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I agree. And I feel the same way about heterosexuality (outside of marriage).

I appreciate her realism and her personal sharing. We should not make false promises to people, promises beyond what the Bible gives us. But God is good, and he gives us good and meaningful lives.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

My computer won't allow the article to open, but based on the comments here and the title of the link, I'd say I agree.

I'm still cautious, though, that we never give the impression that if it stays in the mind then it's okay.
While we can expect custom-tailored temptations to come, we cannot entertain them and become double minded.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

KingdomBuilder wrote: I'm still cautious, though, that we never give the impression that if it stays in the mind then it's okay.
While we can expect custom-tailored temptations to come, we cannot entertain them and become double minded.
Right. We need to remember that evil thoughts are sin. It's easy to lose that by just saying "temptation isn't sin". We can also forget that putting oneself in a place of temptation could well be sin.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

cmbl wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote: I'm still cautious, though, that we never give the impression that if it stays in the mind then it's okay.
Right. We need to remember that evil thoughts are sin. It's easy to lose that by just saying "temptation isn't sin". We can also forget that putting oneself in a place of temptation could well be sin.
It seems beneficial to always remember & recite the Lord's prayer:

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.

Amen.

As well as verses like Philippians 4:8 to not only recite, but to pray in heart to the Lord:

Philippians 4:8New King James Version (NKJV)

Meditate on These Things
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Being in the ministry of helping those who had 'strongholds' in the minds AND behavior takes a lot of compassion but it also takes alot of re-emphasizing the need to meditate on Scriptures- and even writing their prayers can be beneficial to them because the enemy likes to attack in the thought realm, especially while we are in prayer & bring visuals & memories- writing prayers can help keep the focus, it also has helped me understand the purpose of 'rote' prayers- sanctification takes time- and work- but the Lord is there to help as we seek Him
0 x