Historical practices of specific doctrines?

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Historical practices of specific doctrines?

Post by Soloist »

There are some practices I'm wondering about and if they have any basis in history from greater than 100 years ago.

1: The passage about sins leading to death being interpreted as meaning a sin we can't intercede for, the explanation given was that if we saw Jay in adultery that there was no point in praying for him since he needed to confess and repent himself before God since that was a sin punishable by death in the old testament. On the flip side, if Jay gossiped and we saw, we could pray and intercede on his behalf for forgiveness of that sin rather than address it with him.

2: Words have power, with them we bless and curse people. Example, "you have such nice children, enjoy them while they are young, when they are teens they will be trouble" That would be a curse. "I can't sew well" that would be another curse, self directed.

3: Generational curse other than the curse of adam coming from specific sin like witchcraft or other sins that are passed to the children and onward. This plagues them with struggles against a variety of manifestations of this sin that can only be removed by specifically renouncing specific sins of your parents, grandparents.

4: objects having demonic power afflicting your house with demonic activity, example a dice with 20 sides used in role playing games, a magic eight ball, a stuffed lizard that may or may not be modeled after a dragon.

5: soul ties needing to be broken. Seems to be fancy words for bad relationships but needs more then just simply stopping being with them but rather needs a specific renouncing of the tie and removing of the open door to demonic connections.

6: anointing the four corners of your house with oil, four corners of your door.

There might be others but these are the ones I can think of.

Please limit this to historical practice, not your personal belief in if these are right or wrong. If you have a strong opinion on these things, either pm me or make a separate post.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Historical practices of specific doctrines?

Post by lesterb »

Soloist wrote:There are some practices I'm wondering about and if they have any basis in history from greater than 100 years ago.

1: The passage about sins leading to death being interpreted as meaning a sin we can't intercede for, the explanation given was that if we saw Jay in adultery that there was no point in praying for him since he needed to confess and repent himself before God since that was a sin punishable by death in the old testament. On the flip side, if Jay gossiped and we saw, we could pray and intercede on his behalf for forgiveness of that sin rather than address it with him.

2: Words have power, with them we bless and curse people. Example, "you have such nice children, enjoy them while they are young, when they are teens they will be trouble" That would be a curse. "I can't sew well" that would be another curse, self directed.

3: Generational curse other than the curse of adam coming from specific sin like witchcraft or other sins that are passed to the children and onward. This plagues them with struggles against a variety of manifestations of this sin that can only be removed by specifically renouncing specific sins of your parents, grandparents.

4: objects having demonic power afflicting your house with demonic activity, example a dice with 20 sides used in role playing games, a magic eight ball, a stuffed lizard that may or may not be modeled after a dragon.

5: soul ties needing to be broken. Seems to be fancy words for bad relationships but needs more then just simply stopping being with them but rather needs a specific renouncing of the tie and removing of the open door to demonic connections.

6: anointing the four corners of your house with oil, four corners of your door.

There might be others but these are the ones I can think of.

Please limit this to historical practice, not your personal belief in if these are right or wrong. If you have a strong opinion on these things, either pm me or make a separate post.
1. I've never heard this explanation before.
2. Never heard this one either.
3. This isn't a traditional Mennonite belief. It has come into some parts of the Mennonite church through people like John Regier, etc. but I really don't know a lot of people who believe like that.
4. Not known in traditional Mennonite circles. Early Charity people had some beliefs leaning in this direction. Some of the OO Amish and OO Mennonites would have had some beliefs like this, though not the particular items mentioned
5. ditto to number 4
6. ditto to number 4

If you are fellowshipping with people who believe these things, you should consider maybe shifting a bit.
0 x