Why exactly is modest dress so important?

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Why exactly is modest dress so important?

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote:Every Hebrew scholar I’ve talked to say that miqvahs absolutely were used naked. It’s not the custom of really any people to immerse themselves with their clothes on.
The Banawa traditionally only wore minimal 'clothing': for women, a bark or cotton string apron in the front, and a bark 'tail' in the rear; for men, only a bark or cotton string affair, about 6" long, and 4" or so wide, tied on with a cord around the waist. I'm pretty confident that these 'articles of clothing' were never removed to bathe, unless the person was totally alone, which would be rare. The men there never expose themselves, even when bathing only in the presence of other men. [This is the tribe where we lived & worked. I've given up with my previous practice of not mentioning them by name, because others who know me from that context make it such that I can't avoid it on FaceBook, and because I will probably never live in Brazil again, so there can't be any legal ramifications (regarding such as what is referred to as cultural theft - the use of cultural information w/o signed permission from the people).]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Again, the early Anabaptists did not go to the scriptures to see how little clothing a person might be able to wear and still be "biblical" or ethical.
Their goal was to follow Jesus and try as best they could to live up to the teachings and ideals presented in scripture. I think we would do well to do the same.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote:Again, the early Anabaptists did not go to the scriptures to see how little clothing a person might be able to wear and still be "biblical" or ethical.
Their goal was to follow Jesus and try as best they could to live up to the teachings and ideals presented in scripture. I think we would do well to do the same.
Where can I purchase a 1st century robe and sandals ? :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Sudsy wrote: Where can I purchase a 1st century robe and sandals ? :)
Amazon, of course:
Jesus sandals: https://www.amazon.com/Pali-Hawaii-Unis ... B00U5OIITG
Jesus robe: https://www.amazon.com/Costume-Culture- ... B00Y8DBY82
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Sudsy wrote: Where can I purchase a 1st century robe and sandals ? :)
Amazon, of course:
Jesus sandals: https://www.amazon.com/Pali-Hawaii-Unis ... B00U5OIITG
Jesus robe: https://www.amazon.com/Costume-Culture- ... B00Y8DBY82
Well, I was kidding but I guess Amazon has it all. :o

From what I have read the early Anabaptists really didn't have an issue with dress and did not promote any standard garb. I guess they found modern and simple clothes of that day to be modest enough.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:
Josh wrote:Every Hebrew scholar I’ve talked to say that miqvahs absolutely were used naked. It’s not the custom of really any people to immerse themselves with their clothes on.
The Banawa traditionally only wore minimal 'clothing' ...
But I'm guessing that Kaitlyn is more interested in how to dress modestly in modern American culture, in the setting she lives in. Maybe she can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

And she seems to have done a lot of serious thinking about it.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote:
Neto wrote:
The Banawa traditionally only wore minimal 'clothing' ...
But I'm guessing that Kaitlyn is more interested in how to dress modestly in modern American culture, in the setting she lives in. Maybe she can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

And she seems to have done a lot of serious thinking about it.
I think I misinterpreted the word 'people'. I took it as 'people group', instead of 'people today, as members of a church group', and I also took 'immerse' as meaning 'to bathe oneself'. (I thought Josh was making an anthropological statement.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: :arrow: Again, the early Anabaptists did not go to the scriptures to see how little clothing a person might be able to wear and still be "biblical" or ethical.
:arrow: Their goal was to follow Jesus and try as best they could to live up to the teachings and ideals presented in scripture.
:arrow: I think we would do well to do the same.
i hope this might help kaitlyn.
when i found MD, i had never considered the idea of "plain" clothing, altho (i believe) i dress conservatively+modestly. i have enjoyed reading more about the topic from both scriptural and cultural views. i believe both are relevant.

it did not take me long to conclude (for myself) i would have little or no problem submitting to my husband's wishes, and/or my church or fellowship standards. i'm a widow, but, as a married woman, i looked for leadership from my husband, and, i really wanted to please him. this was "normal" to me, this was how my family role models behaved in their marriages .. it was not one-sided!

the men/husbands wanted to lead, protect, please their wives. each in their own way, their own ability, etc. outside of these most recent decades of rampant divorce, i believe this to be fairly universal, cross-cultural (Neto may have some better informed thoughts on that.) :)

kaitlyn, here is one thought i have on the absence of specifics in scriptures regarding dress:
i believe what is written, and not written, is genius! :)
scriptures, or, Truth, is meant for ALL people, in all the world. MN member, Adam, is working on translating scriptures into a remote language in New Guinea right now!
Truth is literally meant for all.

if scriptures had been specific about dress, how awkward+inefficient for people who inhabit drastically different climates+geographies. it wouldn't work. many might dismiss scriptures altogether, due to serious impractical dress standards.

i respect and appreciate most forms of dress, including plain.
i believe considering dress choices from a scriptural view is quite important, and, sadly, something that has been abandoned+forgotten in recent decades in Western cultures (even IN churches!) - :shock:

not long ago, most, or all, Christian churches had similar dress standards .. it's shocking how quickly+thoroughly "we" forget ..
each new generation must learn anew for itself.
we don't "like" it, we love "once+done," but, it's not human reality.

kaitlyn, if you care to share, or think about ..
does your present church or fellowship have dress standards? if so, that would be the logical place to begin.

on this forum, i read of others' experiences. some others choose to dress more conservatively than their written church standards require. these have said, they are accepted, even when different; some have shared their reasons with their churches. in the (Catholic) church i've been attending, it's so culturally mixed, dress varies a lot, most modest, with lots of exceptions!! i'm not aware that any are questioned.

i'm not Catholic. never expected to attend with Catholics. but, much of my life experience has not been predicted or expected! i had no idea the plans God had for me. sometimes, i just sit+wonder how it's all been. and, what more yet to come? His Will, not mine.

thankfully, my daughter chooses conservative/modest dress for herself+daughter. i'm not sure she's interested in the scriptural basis (?) .. but, she is conscious of respect for God+others, protocol, etc.
i talk with her a little about how all churches used to have (at least) basic standards, no bare arms, no shorts, etc. .. this seems to resonate with her. it makes sense. honestly, as they attend, i've noticed others making more conservative choices (esp for daughters) - without any discussion!

this is a relief to my daughter. instead of being thought of as peculiar, they seem to be appreciated.
this is important to her. it's a trait she has. she could use a bit more self-confidence. :)

sorry for writing so much. not my original plan. :oops: :(
hope this might help, though.
it's worth thought. but, as Ernie suggests, keep thinking in perspective of Jesus' instructions. trust that we have been given "enough," that it was never God's plan for us to know in full on earth:
2 Corinthians 9:8
…7 Each one should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not out of regret or compulsion.
For God loves a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things, at all times,
having all that you need,
you will abound in every good work.

9 As it is written: “He has scattered abroad His gifts to the poor; His righteousness endures forever.”…
Truth.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN