A response to Valerie's concept of eschatology

General Christian Theology
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: A response to Valerie's concept of eschatology

Post by Hats Off »

gcdonner wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Sometimes Jesus and the apostles were addressing a specific person or persons; more often not. We need to be able to discern what applies to us. Obviously we are not going to bring Paul's reading materials to him nor are we going to greet or receive Pheobe and Priscilla and Aquila. But we can "Greet one another with a holy kiss."
There are always universal principles that apply, but the specifics when addressed to specific people must first be taken in their context. When Jesus was speaking to Peter, James, John & Andrew, when he said "you" he was referring to them, when he wanted to address someone else he said, "they". It is quite simple really, if we are willing to humble ourselves to accept what he actually said and not what we think he meant to us instead, some 2000 years later.
BTW, which of his prophetic utterances in these passages didn't come to pass, as he said, and when he said? Be specific and use scripture to support your position is all I ask, not tradition or "I think", but what saith the scripture?
I was not referring to the words of Jesus here - I am sorry if I came across that way. What I was referring to is the prophecies of people long since then who have forecast the end of the world.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Valerie wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Just to emphasize- these are not MY understandings these are other teachers- the Orthodox teach that what you are suggesting GC- there was a 'partial' fulfillment and a future-
They are not full preterists

I realize you are a Preterist so there will be differences of opinions on this- there is a very small fraction within Christianity that are Preterists like yourself, believing that Jesus Second Coming, already happened-
I'm not speaking about that in particular here, but your statement that Jesus and the Apostles were speaking to US. They were not, especially when it comes to eschatology. As I said to another poster, there are universal principles to be applied to us and general principles that have determined doctrine down through the ages, but to make the statement that you made is misleading at best.
It depends, to a Preterist, it would be misleading- to the Orthodox Church it would not be- I think Preterism belief is very misleading and it is considered heresy- to say that the Lord returned already-since He had not returned yet, what they had to say to 'watch for' would be speaking to us, as well as the present audience, like much of the Scriptures- would be for present and future
Obviously I disagree and you have not given any biblical evidence to demonstrate otherwise, only leaning on tradition and calling names.
Good thing this is not called MennoDiscuss anymore. I have made my point.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote: Good thing this is not called MennoDiscuss anymore. I have made my point.
Ya mean because neither of you is a Menno...? :D :D
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Good thing this is not called MennoDiscuss anymore. I have made my point.
I used to fellowship with Mennos and was a member of an Anabaptist church for several years too, but you are right, I am not a Mennonite by birth... :roll:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
I used to fellowship with Mennos and was a member of an Anabaptist church for several years too, but you are right, I am not a Mennonite by birth... :roll:
...but as far as that goes, neither was Menno....
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: Ya mean because neither of you is a Menno...? :D :D
Good point... Neither was Jesus!
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
Was just thinking... "as far as that goes"...is that a Penn/Deutsch term...'so veit vie sell geht' ...or is that a phrase that normal English-as-a-first-language would use? Or is it maybe apocalyptic language?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Was just thinking... "as far as that goes"...is that a Penn/Deutsch term...'so veit vie sell geht' ...or is that a phrase that normal English-as-a-first-language would use? Or is it maybe apocalyptic language?
I can't speak for the first, but it has been around as long as I can remember, and it could be apocalyptic language in it's proper context. No pretexts spoken here.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
silentreader wrote:
silentreader wrote:
I can't speak for the first, but it has been around as long as I can remember, and it could be apocalyptic language in it's proper context. No pretexts spoken here.
Ahhh....but there's often a sub-text.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote: Ahhh....but there's often a sub-text.
And that is a horse of a different color...
0 x