A response to Valerie's concept of eschatology

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: A response to Valerie's concept of eschatology

Post by gcdonner »

mike wrote:
Signtist wrote:
Valerie wrote: Appleman as far as I know, is the only other MDer or MNer that agrees with what you were teaching-
You can put me on the same prayer list if you like...
ditto
Sully would have asked to be on that list too, RIP. He was one of the fine gentleman that I got to meet this side of heaven.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

It should be noted here that Preterism began with John the Revelator and that Eusebius, one of the attenders at the Council of Nicea, was a Preterist as have been many down through the years. Modern Christianity has been ignorant of this fact since the introduction of and popularization of Dispensationalism, especially with the introduction of the highly fictionalized "Left Behind" series and books by Hal Lindsey like the "Late Great Planet Earth".
I don't claim to be, nor have I ever espoused "full Preterism", just for the record.
I suspect that Revelation 20 will tell the final story, but I don't know how or when. It is the one passage that keeps me from full Preterism at this point in my life and studies.

For those interested in the history of Preterism and those who have espoused various aspects of it, you will find PreteristArchive.com to be most helpful. http://preteristarchive.com/PartialPreterism/index.html

I am offering again the DVD "You've Got to be Kidding me, Right?" for free to anyone who might be interested in a brief, biblical introduction to Preterism. It is about an hour long, and the testimony of one man's journey from futurism to Preterism. Just PM me your mailing address. Or you can view it in full online here:

Blessings,
George
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:I don't claim to know all the answers on Revelation, but if you make me guess, I'm not miles away from George. I have always found Swete's commentary very helpful.
Well- there is 'some' things correct- partial preterism, from what I understand-
to be clear, I am not the one that declared it heresy-
You can do a lot of research to final all those who claim it heretical- and this formulation of Scripture interpretation is not different in other systematic formulations that lead to other eschatology theories-

I remember asking the Priest we attended the Orthodox Church about it since I first heard of it here- he's been a Priest for 30 years, and a pastor, graduated school of theology before that before he converted to Orthodox- from what he & another Orthodox Christian had told me it is an earlier ancient heresy that resurfaced- so no, I am not the one deciding it is heresy-

Many of the current cults had been earlier heresies as well that cropped up after the reformation-
there are many links when doing research which names it 'heresy'-

this isn't one of them but it was interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterism

We've been exposed to a lot since becoming Christians- but I do feel confident in those who have explained why it is false doctrine, without going on and on as to why-those conversations are for all you Bible Scholars-
I had enough false interpretations with Darby/Scofield-

Maranatha!
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:Maranatha!
Amen. Jesus is coming again, and if you read to the end of the Bible, Jesus wins.

If nobody feels like fighting about the rest of the details, we don't need to.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?