Those who do not know

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Those who do not know

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:But there are some who simply do not know, and sin out of ignorance. Their punishment will not be as severe. The more God has given us, the more we are held accountable for what he has given us.
So do you say that those who do not know are still included within "believers"?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Neto wrote:Directly before the verse quoted here is the other illustration - the one about the servant the master has put in charge of the other servants. That manager, if he is found to have been abusing his position when the master returns, will be "cut to pieces and assigned a place with the unbelievers". So you all must be taking that not as the context, but as another case, or situation. Otherwise, the context indicates that he is speaking of the lost & the unlost.
My guess is that it is all referring to believers and those who abandoned their faith in Christ coming back and went back to a life without Christ have apostatized and have forfeited their salvation. I believe there is a state of backsliding where we don't abandon our beliefs in Christ but rather live according to the flesh for a period of time. In this state I believe we are still saved until we turn our back on Christ to a point of 'blasphemy against the Holy Spirit'. Another verse says 'my Spirit will not always strive with man', but thankfully He did with me years ago, to draw me back to fellowship with Christ. If I had turned my back on the belief that Christ died for my sins, rose again and of His future return (what Paul called of first importance), then I have chosen to go with the lost and God accepts my choice.

This is one of those texts I have heard used in opposition to the eternal security belief that once saved we cannot become unsaved.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:But there are some who simply do not know, and sin out of ignorance. Their punishment will not be as severe. The more God has given us, the more we are held accountable for what he has given us.
So do you say that those who do not know are still included within "believers"?
Yes, I think so. After all, unbelievers were not put in charge of the master's affairs, were they?

It's dangerous to read too much into a parable, which generally tries to make a single central point, but I think of those servants who are deceived by leaders who they trust, but are wrong, or leaders who are honestly mistaken.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:Yes, I think so.
but I think of those servants who are deceived by leaders who they trust, but are wrong, or leaders who are honestly mistaken.
Okay, looks like we are on the same page here.

I agree it can be bad to read too much into things, but that's not my goal here.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I agree it can be bad to read too much into things, but that's not my goal here.
Oh, I wasn't accusing you here, I was trying to avoid that temptation myself ;->
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:I agree it can be bad to read too much into things, but that's not my goal here.
Oh, I wasn't accusing you here, I was trying to avoid that temptation myself ;->
I know you weren't.. I've just been thinking about verses that relate to how the body of believers view its different members, so I decided to make a post.
0 x