The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

Post by gcdonner »

Valerie wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:My opinion on the subject is that we have made it through much worse. Let's keep trudging through whatever is thrown at us, and be "blissfully surprised" when Christ comes. No man knows the time or day, and I find no use obsessing over possible signs.

When it comes, I'm ready!
I agree that we are not to obsess about the signs, but Jesus did teach about the signs, and compared them to birth pangs. Men cannot relate to birth pangs, but- women who have 'labored' in child birth knows what this means :D birth pangs, as the birth draws closer, intensify, and grow closer together in time. My feeling is that Jesus gave us the signs to watch for- even if we do not know the 'day or the hour' He, and the Apostles- taught the signs- now the the unbelievers, that day will come like a thief in the night- but this is what Apostle Paul says about Christians in 1 Thessalonians 5, that lead me to believe that we are going to have a sense about it to where it won't catch us off guard like a thief, and to be 'watchful' constantly- but agree, not to obsess about it or try to pinpoint it- but it, imo is not wrong to share about the signs of the end- because they are Scripturally taught-

1 Thessalonians 5:

1But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 7For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. 11Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
Valerie, we are NOT CAs, so should you be posting here? I'm going to respect the wishes of the OP, how about you?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Holdemans remain very amillenial and express concern the rest of conservative Anabaptism is sliding towards premillennialism, or as they call it, "millennialism".

One minister told me he talked to an Ohio Wisler minister, and asked him if he would let someone who believed in premillennial ideas preach. The Wisler minister said yes, as long as he never talked about or promoted such things. The Holdeman minister was quite concerned that's a slippery slope to eventually accepting it.

I'm not sure in what other circles premillennialism would actually be treated as heresy.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

gcdonner wrote:
Valerie wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:My opinion on the subject is that we have made it through much worse. Let's keep trudging through whatever is thrown at us, and be "blissfully surprised" when Christ comes. No man knows the time or day, and I find no use obsessing over possible signs.

When it comes, I'm ready!
I agree that we are not to obsess about the signs, but Jesus did teach about the signs, and compared them to birth pangs. Men cannot relate to birth pangs, but- women who have 'labored' in child birth knows what this means :D birth pangs, as the birth draws closer, intensify, and grow closer together in time. My feeling is that Jesus gave us the signs to watch for- even if we do not know the 'day or the hour' He, and the Apostles- taught the signs- now the the unbelievers, that day will come like a thief in the night- but this is what Apostle Paul says about Christians in 1 Thessalonians 5, that lead me to believe that we are going to have a sense about it to where it won't catch us off guard like a thief, and to be 'watchful' constantly- but agree, not to obsess about it or try to pinpoint it- but it, imo is not wrong to share about the signs of the end- because they are Scripturally taught-

1 Thessalonians 5:

1But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 7For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. 11Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
Valerie, we are NOT CAs, so should you be posting here? I'm going to respect the wishes of the OP, how about you?
Sorry, I should have stayed out- I was responding to YorkandAdams, who also is not CA-

Please continue- it's interesting because I know an Amish community in Maine at least when one of my friends was AMish, and lived there, said within that OO Amish Community- there were four different opinions held regarding all this- They are about as CA as you can get-and more sheltered- not sure how they ended up with several views- (at least back then that was the case)
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Progressive Amish groups like the people in Maine who are open to outsiders - and outside ideas - often absorb modern eschatology. For example, one of the families up there simply has the same eschatological beliefs they had before they became Amish. The Amish generally speaking aren't focused on purity of beliefs about things that don't impact actual practice. As they become more fundamentalist and progressive, they will tend to focus a lot more on purity of belief whilst relaxing actual practice.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I'm not sure why you'd say YorkAndAdams isn't CA?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:I'm not sure why you'd say YorkAndAdams isn't CA?
Probably because his affiliation is listed on his profile as "Intermediate Con"
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Intermediate conservative (conservative Beachy, Hope Fellowship, Pilgrim Conference, Northeastern, etc.). So CA.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Josh wrote:The Amish generally speaking aren't focused on purity of beliefs about things that don't impact actual practice. As they become more fundamentalist and progressive, they will tend to focus a lot more on purity of belief whilst relaxing actual practice.
Perhaps one could say that these people have a pre-fundamentalist understanding of Scripture--and indeed of Christianity. How can we fundamentalists regain that understanding, without lapsing into liberalism?
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

cmbl wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Intermediate conservative (conservative Beachy, Hope Fellowship, Pilgrim Conference, Northeastern, etc.). So CA.
I would agree that Intermediate Conservative qualifies as CA.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

cmbl wrote:
Josh wrote:The Amish generally speaking aren't focused on purity of beliefs about things that don't impact actual practice. As they become more fundamentalist and progressive, they will tend to focus a lot more on purity of belief whilst relaxing actual practice.
Perhaps one could say that these people have a pre-fundamentalist understanding of Scripture--and indeed of Christianity. How can we fundamentalists regain that understanding, without lapsing into liberalism?
We can't unless we are willing to abandon fundamentalism, which is really just an early step on the path to liberalism.

Fundamentalism starts by conceding to modernism's demands and worldview. The only solution is to go back to following Jesus.
0 x