The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

General Christian Theology
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

Post by appleman2006 »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:Actually, there was a pretty consistent eschatology amongst Christians since the beginning. Holdemans, Old Order Amish, and Eastern Orthodox have the exact same eschatology, for example.

Ideas like the rapture and premillennialism in general are a relatively recent invention. Before John Darby decided to invent his own commentary on what the Bible actually says, most people were content being amillenial or postmillenial.
Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Tertullian, Hippolytus, and many other early church fathers were premillenial. Eusebius describes it as the majority view. Then Augustine came along and popularized amillennialism -- along with just war and proto-Calvinism, so Mennonites who view Augustine with wariness often extend that skepticism to his eschatology.

What is a recent invention is dispensationalism and the pretribulation rapture. Those should be distinguished from historic premillennialism.
I agree with this assessment and for that reason I can at least stomach those that hold to historical pre views as opposed to what most people hold to today which is the strong dispensationalist type teaching. There are very few historical pres around although I have run into one or two of them. The late Oliver Hess I believe described himself as such. I think Walter Beachy might lean that way as well although I may be wrong.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

gcdonner wrote:He was a historian, not a critic...
It's not much of a stretch to see he didn't really agree with it......
Quite evident by his holding of another view.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Josh wrote: We can't unless we are willing to abandon fundamentalism, which is really just an early step on the path to liberalism.

Fundamentalism starts by conceding to modernism's demands and worldview. The only solution is to go back to following Jesus.
Have you read or listened to Paris Reidhead's Ten Shekels and a Shirt? Reidhead, an avowed fundamentalist, frames that concession in terms of humanism.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

cmbl wrote:
Josh wrote: We can't unless we are willing to abandon fundamentalism, which is really just an early step on the path to liberalism.

Fundamentalism starts by conceding to modernism's demands and worldview. The only solution is to go back to following Jesus.
Have you read or listened to Paris Reidhead's Ten Shekels and a Shirt? Reidhead, an avowed fundamentalist, frames that concession in terms of humanism.

Have you read or listened to Paris Reidhead's Ten Shekels and a Shirt?

I have, it was sent to us by an Amish man, didn't know the author but the writing is astounding- whatever label one has given him-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I find I can comfortably fellowship with a historic premillennialist, rare as they may be these days.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:I find I can comfortably fellowship with a historic premillennialist, rare as they may be these days.
Me too... :o
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KB, there's an entire library of CA perspectives on eschatology at Pilgrim Ministry. Good stuff there and well worth the time to read or listen to. They have downloadable audio files as well as e-literature.
E-literature on Prophecy and End Times
Downloadable Sermons on Prophecy and End Times
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:KB, there's an entire library of CA perspectives on eschatology at Pilgrim Ministry. Good stuff there and well worth the time to read or listen to. They have downloadable audio files as well as e-literature.
A lot of material on this website is explicitly pro-rapture, premillennial, dispensational, or all 3. I would argue that does not represent all or even most Anabaptists.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:KB, there's an entire library of CA perspectives on eschatology at Pilgrim Ministry. Good stuff there and well worth the time to read or listen to. They have downloadable audio files as well as e-literature.
A lot of material on this website is explicitly pro-rapture, premillennial, dispensational, or all 3. I would argue that does not represent all or even most Anabaptists.
I tried a few of the messages and would have said they seem to be basic Anabaptist.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
I think it is probably a fair representation of what is taught in the PMC pulpits. PMC certainly qualifies as Conservative Anabaptist.
0 x