The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

Post by silentreader »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:Well, nobody believed in the rapture before Darby invented it in the 1800s. The Münsterites had many faults, but you can’t pin not adding the rapture to their already heretical millennial beliefs on them. After Darby invented the rapture, belief in it is, of course, almost always found with heretics who teach Jesus is coming on a specific date.

A real blessing for me in the Holdeman world is that we were established before these modern falsehoods took hold in much of the Christian and Anabaptist world. I don’t have to deal with sermons on what latest political event in Israel means some event in Revelation is about to happen.

Instead: Christ is calling all men to repent. Mankind and our relationship to God hasn’t changed since Jesus ascended into heaven and God let the temple be destroyed, despite what many hucksters and frauds would try to teach which try to exploit biblical prophecy for personal gain.
Actually, there was at least one proponent of a rapture theory at least 40 years before Darby (Morgan Edwards, written 1742-44, but published in 1788), though he later repudiated it himself. Then there was a Jesuit priest who espoused something very similar to a pre-trib rapture,Emmanuel Lacunza who published his book in 1812, and then in 1830 it was the young girl (Margaret McDonald), who being part of the Plymouth Brethren, in a spiritual trance, espoused the idea of a pre-trib rapture, which Edward Irving and then JN Darby picked up on and began preaching/teaching this theory. It was popularized through the
Schofield Reference Bible and the world wide distribution the the book "The Coming King" published in 1911, which was sent to preachers, teachers and missionaries freely.
Just a little history lesson...
"The Coming King", who was the author of that?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: The End is nigh, right? CA perspectives wanted

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:Well, nobody believed in the rapture before Darby invented it in the 1800s. The Münsterites had many faults, but you can’t pin not adding the rapture to their already heretical millennial beliefs on them. After Darby invented the rapture, belief in it is, of course, almost always found with heretics who teach Jesus is coming on a specific date.

A real blessing for me in the Holdeman world is that we were established before these modern falsehoods took hold in much of the Christian and Anabaptist world. I don’t have to deal with sermons on what latest political event in Israel means some event in Revelation is about to happen.

Instead: Christ is calling all men to repent. Mankind and our relationship to God hasn’t changed since Jesus ascended into heaven and God let the temple be destroyed, despite what many hucksters and frauds would try to teach which try to exploit biblical prophecy for personal gain.
Actually, there was at least one proponent of a rapture theory at least 40 years before Darby (Morgan Edwards, written 1742-44, but published in 1788), though he later repudiated it himself. Then there was a Jesuit priest who espoused something very similar to a pre-trib rapture,Emmanuel Lacunza who published his book in 1812, and then in 1830 it was the young girl (Margaret McDonald), who being part of the Plymouth Brethren, in a spiritual trance, espoused the idea of a pre-trib rapture, which Edward Irving and then JN Darby picked up on and began preaching/teaching this theory. It was popularized through the
Schofield Reference Bible and the world wide distribution the the book "The Coming King" published in 1911, which was sent to preachers, teachers and missionaries freely.
Just a little history lesson...
"The Coming King", who was the author of that?
James Edison White. I used to have a first edition copy of this book, but gave it away when I had to thin down my library (w were moving).
You can read it for yourself here: https://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/ ... -king.html
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth