Gracism - what do you think?

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Gracism - what do you think?

Post by Bootstrap »

I have been looking around at various ways of thinking about racism and how to respond to it, and I found this web page intriguing:

Embrace Gracism

I'm familiar with the frameworks based on models of white privilege and don't find them helpful, so I am looking for alternatives. I haven't read the book, and I don't know much about the author, so I'm judging this solely on the website. But I like this summary:
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.21.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 11.21.09 AM.png (149.84 KiB) Viewed 311 times
He says that should lead us to seven ongoing practices:
  • "I will lift you up"
    ​lifting up the humble by assisting and elevating them toward success
  • "I will cover you"
    protecting the most vulnerable among us from embarrassment and harm
  • "I will share with you "
    opening up networks and resources to others who are systematically downtrodden, and refusing special treatment that may hurt them
  • "I will stand you up"
    committing to stand with the weak... the majority committing to stand up for, and with, the minority
  • "I will honor you"
    recognizing those who are the most humble heroes among us regardless of color, class and culture
  • "I will consider you"
    having equal concern for our neighbors regardless of color, class or culture by considering their perspectives and needs
  • "I will celebrate with you"
    rejoicing when the humble and less fortunate among us are helped
Does this seem like a helpful framework? Are you familiar with other frameworks you consider better?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Gracism - what do you think?

Post by Sudsy »

I think these speak well of how we are to love others as we love ourselves but gracism goes beyond that for those of us who have experienced God's amazing grace that reaches out to all, no exceptions, to save us from our sins. The practise missing here is leading others to Jesus so they can find a source of inner power to be able to do these other 7 practises in a way that Jesus would.

What the world needs most is a changed heart that only God can give when we acknowledge and receive that grace to begin life where racism is a non-issue. As the old hymn goes 'Give me that old time religion' that goes on 'makes me love everybody "and that's good enough for me".
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote:I think these speak well of how we are to love others as we love ourselves but gracism goes beyond that for those of us who have experienced God's amazing grace that reaches out to all, no exceptions, to save us from our sins. The practise missing here is leading others to Jesus so they can find a source of inner power to be able to do these other 7 practises in a way that Jesus would.

What the world needs most is a changed heart that only God can give when we acknowledge and receive that grace to begin life where racism is a non-issue. As the old hymn goes 'Give me that old time religion' that goes on 'makes me love everybody "and that's good enough for me".
I agree. And perhaps these practices are also a way of reaching people for Christ, by showing him a Jesus kind of love.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:
Sudsy wrote:I think these speak well of how we are to love others as we love ourselves but gracism goes beyond that for those of us who have experienced God's amazing grace that reaches out to all, no exceptions, to save us from our sins. The practise missing here is leading others to Jesus so they can find a source of inner power to be able to do these other 7 practises in a way that Jesus would.

I agree. And perhaps these practices are also a way of reaching people for Christ, by showing him a Jesus kind of love.
Yes, I see these as a Jesus kind of love. However, I often see Christian groups and non-Christian groups to varying degree doing these practises but leaving out the key requirement to reaching people for Christ and that is explaining the Gospel as they model these practises. Someone might have said 'when all else fails use words' (which is doubtful where this came from) but that is not what scripture says. Actually Romans 10:13-14 says - For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? .

I sometimes wonder if I don't hear much talk on this evangelizing with words from Anabaptists as they don't want to be too closely associated with Evangelicals who do stress this proclaiming the Gospel in words as some Evangelicals don't model Christ like behavior too well or not to the level some Anabaptists expect they should according to their understanding of scriptures. In another thread sometime, I would like to explore this more.

Yet this 'quiet in the land' style of evangelism is not how all Anabaptists spread the Gospel but it seems to be the most prominent way used in our city and surrounding area that has many different Mennonite churches. I think all are highly respected as different but good living people but only one or two are actively reaching people for Christ outside their ethnicity. Our MB church happens to be one. And these one or two, including ours, would likely be too worldly in practise for most CMs. Well, I better leave this subject of how various Anabaptists reach people for Christ for another thread.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit