Mercy

General Christian Theology
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Mercy

Post by GaryK »

How would you define mercy as found in the New Testament? I've heard a quote numerous times and again yesterday that has me thinking about this - "Mercy is not getting what you deserve and grace is getting what you don't deserve". This may not be verbatim but I think it's close. I'm primarily focused on the "mercy" part of this quote. Is this and accurate definition of mercy as used in the NT?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Mercy

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote:How would you define mercy as found in the New Testament? I've heard a quote numerous times and again yesterday that has me thinking about this - "Mercy is not getting what you deserve and grace is getting what you don't deserve". This may not be verbatim but I think it's close. I'm primarily focused on the "mercy" part of this quote. Is this and accurate definition of mercy as used in the NT?
There are a couple of words translated mercy in the New Testament. Here are two of the main words, which are closely related:

ἐλεέω: to have mercy on, pity; to show mercy to, show pity to another who is in serious need, usually with a focus on an act of kindness that will help meet the need.

ἐλεημοσύνη: gift to the poor, alms, charitable gift; any act of generosity to someone in serious need, often referring to giving gifts of substance or money.

I'm not sure grace and mercy can be separated as cleanly as your definition. Also, I think Catholics and Orthodox are on to something with their Works of Mercy, some of which are mirrored in Menno Simon's quote on True Evangelical Faith.

"Corporal works of mercy" are about the material needs of others:
  1. To feed the hungry.
  2. To give water to the thirsty.
  3. To clothe the naked.
  4. To shelter the homeless.
  5. To visit the sick.
  6. To visit the imprisoned, or ransom the captive.
  7. To bury the dead.
"Spiritual works of mercy" are about the spiritual needs of others:
  1. To instruct the ignorant.
  2. To counsel the doubtful.
  3. To admonish the sinners.
  4. To bear patiently those who wrong us.
  5. To forgive offenses .
  6. To comfort the afflicted.
  7. To pray for the living and the dead.
But sometimes, in addition to comforting the afflicted, we need to afflict the comfortable - starting with ourselves.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

The quote you gave deals more with what you receive than what you give to others. For instance, the publican said, God be merciful to me, a sinner. I think that is another aspect of this word. Mercy insinuates forgiveness and forgiveness insinuates mercy. Jesus said at the cross, Father forgive them. He could have said, Father have mercy on them.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote:
GaryK wrote:How would you define mercy as found in the New Testament? I've heard a quote numerous times and again yesterday that has me thinking about this - "Mercy is not getting what you deserve and grace is getting what you don't deserve". This may not be verbatim but I think it's close. I'm primarily focused on the "mercy" part of this quote. Is this and accurate definition of mercy as used in the NT?
There are a couple of words translated mercy in the New Testament. Here are two of the main words, which are closely related:

ἐλεέω: to have mercy on, pity; to show mercy to, show pity to another who is in serious need, usually with a focus on an act of kindness that will help meet the need.

ἐλεημοσύνη: gift to the poor, alms, charitable gift; any act of generosity to someone in serious need, often referring to giving gifts of substance or money.

I'm not sure grace and mercy can be separated as cleanly as your definition. Also, I think Catholics and Orthodox are on to something with their Works of Mercy, some of which are mirrored in Menno Simon's quote on True Evangelical Faith.

"Corporal works of mercy" are about the material needs of others:
  1. To feed the hungry.
  2. To give water to the thirsty.
  3. To clothe the naked.
  4. To shelter the homeless.
  5. To visit the sick.
  6. To visit the imprisoned, or ransom the captive.
  7. To bury the dead.
"Spiritual works of mercy" are about the spiritual needs of others:
  1. To instruct the ignorant.
  2. To counsel the doubtful.
  3. To admonish the sinners.
  4. To bear patiently those who wrong us.
  5. To forgive offenses .
  6. To comfort the afflicted.
  7. To pray for the living and the dead.
But sometimes, in addition to comforting the afflicted, we need to afflict the comfortable - starting with ourselves.
I think the quote I provided is too narrowly focused according to Vine's expository dictionary, which is very similar to the two main Greek definitions you provided. I like the "works of mercy" part.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

I've heard that quote often enough to tire of it. The lawyer said that the Good Samaritan showed mercy, not that he showed grace.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. - Hebrews 4:16

I think in this quote it is referring to the mercy and grace described in the verse above. As sinners we need to be confident that if we approach God for mercy/kindness that He is a loving God that will give us His unmerited favour (grace) even though we don't deserve it by our sinning. I believe this quote basically is saying that as sinners we deserve to be eternally separated from God (and some would put this as deserving hell) yet God is full of mercy and gives us His gift of grace that allows us to be reconciled with God for eternity.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote:Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. - Hebrews 4:16
When I read that, I think about God who is gracious and compassionate. In his compassion, we receive mercy. In his graciousness, we find grace. The two are closely linked - like the times that Jesus looks at someone, feels compassion, and heals them.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. - Hebrews 4:16
When I read that, I think about God who is gracious and compassionate. In his compassion, we receive mercy. In his graciousness, we find grace. The two are closely linked - like the times that Jesus looks at someone, feels compassion, and heals them.
Yes, I think God's being merciful and giving us grace goes beyond what I said about saving us from the penalty of sin. In my evangelical background I heard it mostly being applied regarding Jesus giving Himself to reconcile us with God. I continue to receive God's mercy/compassion and the blood of Jesus goes on cleansing me of my sins which is another example of His mercy and gift of grace. He gives us enabling power to live the Christian life which is also grace that comes through His mercy as what I deserve from my failings is to be cut-off and disowned.

Lately, I have gone through a period of not coming to the throne of grace with confidence to receive His mercy and grace. I tend to drift off leaning on my own power and other times I don't have the faith to believe that regardless of my failings God will never leave me nor forsake me and will always be there waiting for me to receive His grace. Amazing isn't it ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit