Christ Preached to the spirits in hades-

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Christ Preached to the spirits in hades-

Post by Valerie »

Have you ever heard a sermon that explained these passages? Apostle Peter knew 'more' about this then what he says here, obviously Jesus would have explained all this to His disciples when He rose from the dead- spending 40 days with them they probably had a LOT of conversations- I heard a message recently (on radio, actually was my pastor) who wasn't sure who these spirits were, he confessed not knowing for sure-
What do you think of these passages? Have you heard them in any sermons explained?
1 Peter 3:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

And then 1 Peter 4:

Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Christ Preached to the spirits in hades-

Post by lesterb »

Have you heard the song The Little Boy From the Carpenter's Shop?
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

At a very basic level, it reads like God offering repentance and forgiveness one final time through the witness of Jesus to those who'd fallen before. Why else would he be preaching to them? Maybe I'm wrong.
Weird thought.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Jesus went to Hades to bring out the OT saints who were waiting for his sacrifice. On the other side of the gulf from them were those who had to stay behind. He preached to the captives, not to give them a second chance, but to explain to them what had happened. Whether he preached to the saved and the lost both isn't clear. He may just have gone to the saved side of Hades.

Note: Hades is merely the place of departed spirits. It contained both paradise and hell. When Jesus told the thief on the cross that "today you will be with me in paradise" he was talking about the same place.

There's a lot of mystery here, but that's my basic take on it.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

lesterb wrote:Jesus went to Hades to bring out the OT saints who were waiting for his sacrifice. On the other side of the gulf from them were those who had to stay behind. He preached to the captives, not to give them a second chance, but to explain to them what had happened. Whether he preached to the saved and the lost both isn't clear. He may just have gone to the saved side of Hades.

Note: Hades is merely the place of departed spirits. It contained both paradise and hell. When Jesus told the thief on the cross that "today you will be with me in paradise" he was talking about the same place.

If I had time, I'd offer a different opinion.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:
lesterb wrote:There's a lot of mystery here, but that's my basic take on it.
Me too. But I do like being open to a sense of mystery - we don't know everything, and that's OK. It's not OK to have firmly established opinions about things we can't know and to fight over them. I don't think this thread is going to start any fights, but I know people who do fight about this passage.

And I'm not sure this passage is what I want to spend my time discussing. I have plenty of opinions of my own, but ... why bother?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote:Have you heard the song The Little Boy From the Carpenter's Shop?
No, is there a way I can online? I assume it has something to do with this-
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:
lesterb wrote:There's a lot of mystery here, but that's my basic take on it.
Me too. But I do like being open to a sense of mystery - we don't know everything, and that's OK. It's not OK to have firmly established opinions about things we can't know and to fight over them. I don't think this thread is going to start any fights, but I know people who do fight about this passage.

And I'm not sure this passage is what I want to spend my time discussing. I have plenty of opinions of my own, but ... why bother?
I realize some things we accept as mystery- the early Church had some things accepted as mystery (miraculous) yet in this case, I don't think that it was a mystery, because I think that Apostle Peter knew what he meant, and I believed the earliest days of the church there were conversations going about these things that were not recorded- and that his audience wasn't left in the dark about what he was talking about-
But I agree, if these things are merely speculations in people's understandings today and it leads to strife- and one can't really know for sure what he meant- then 'why bother'- it is a part of Scripture that was understood at the time.

I was asking if anyone in the Anabaptist Church has heard a sermon that spoke to this- what I heard on the radio didn't really fit with my understanding (not that it is 'my' understanding, but I think it really came across as a best guess).

Perhaps it was futile to bring it up.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:At a very basic level, it reads like God offering repentance and forgiveness one final time through the witness of Jesus to those who'd fallen before. Why else would he be preaching to them? Maybe I'm wrong.
Weird thought.
This is how I believed it- (and I hope/hoped it was right, out of compassion) all the times in my own reading- and to be honest I can't recall it brought up in a sermon- perhaps I've forgot if it was, and I always fell back on this understanding- that they were given an opportunity they didn't have before, like the Gentiles did-probably because why would Jesus need to 'preach' to them? If it didn't bring any new hope, then there was still judgement day as always. If it was to the saints waiting for resurrection- well He was setting the captives free, it says but why the need to preach first? Hm. Well I was just reading it, had heard it on radio, and didn't really agree with what I heard. But who am I? So I was asking here if any messages had been taught.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote:Jesus went to Hades to bring out the OT saints who were waiting for his sacrifice. On the other side of the gulf from them were those who had to stay behind. He preached to the captives, not to give them a second chance, but to explain to them what had happened. Whether he preached to the saved and the lost both isn't clear. He may just have gone to the saved side of Hades.

This may be the case- I was hoping for the 'second chance' understanding I admit.
0 x