Christ Preached to the spirits in hades-

General Christian Theology
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Christ Preached to the spirits in hades-

Post by silentreader »

Valerie wrote:
lesterb wrote:Jesus went to Hades to bring out the OT saints who were waiting for his sacrifice. On the other side of the gulf from them were those who had to stay behind. He preached to the captives, not to give them a second chance, but to explain to them what had happened. Whether he preached to the saved and the lost both isn't clear. He may just have gone to the saved side of Hades.

Note: Hades is merely the place of departed spirits. It contained both paradise and hell. When Jesus told the thief on the cross that "today you will be with me in paradise" he was talking about the same place.

There's a lot of mystery here, but that's my basic take on it.
This may be the case- I was hoping for the 'second chance' understanding I admit.
IMO, this passage isn't referring to 'normal' people like us.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:... yet in this case, I don't think that it was a mystery, because I think that Apostle Peter knew what he meant, and I believed the earliest days of the church there were conversations going about these things that were not recorded- and that his audience wasn't left in the dark about what he was talking about-
I agree that Peter knew what he was talking about, and so did his audience.

But since these conversations were not recorded, we no longer have them. And the churches that claim they have oral traditions and hidden knowledge should read what the New Testament writings tell us about oral tradition and hidden knowledge.

I think it's extremely unwise to approach the Bible with the assumption that we understand everything or that we possess hidden mystical knowledge not available to other Christians.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:IMO, this passage isn't referring to 'normal' people like us.
Clearly, anyone in hades when Jesus died and rose again had died under the Old Covenant.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

snip,

snip,

snip,

snip...
Last edited by lesterb on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:IMO, this passage isn't referring to 'normal' people like us.
Clearly, anyone in hades when Jesus died and rose again had died under the Old Covenant.
That's right, at least any godly people
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

Valerie wrote:Have you ever heard a sermon that explained these passages? Apostle Peter knew 'more' about this then what he says here, obviously Jesus would have explained all this to His disciples when He rose from the dead- spending 40 days with them they probably had a LOT of conversations- I heard a message recently (on radio, actually was my pastor) who wasn't sure who these spirits were, he confessed not knowing for sure-
What do you think of these passages? Have you heard them in any sermons explained?
1 Peter 3:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

And then 1 Peter 4:

Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
The explanation I've heard about these verses in 1 Peter 3 is quite simple, the passage says that Jesus was quickened by the Spirit, and that by that same Spirit He also preached in Old Testament times - I could imagine that Jesus preached before His incarnation, there are many Old Testament examples of the Lord manifesting in the flesh. For example the three men that visited Abraham, two angels them were angels and one of them was God, I think Christ. There is alot of mystery in this ofcourse, and we do not need to understand it all, but I don't think there are any second chances after this life, since Gods Word also says: Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Paul, I agree after this life we don't get second chances-BUT what is meant then by "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is eight souls, were saved through water"

The explanation that you were given and shared makes it sound like this was referring to Him before His incarnation, preaching-

but it says "For this reason, the gospel was preached also to those wo are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit-

Both of those passages seem to convey when Christ descended to the dead & I always heard, that was after He was crucified- during the time period before He rose-

What you just shard is similar to what our present Pastor shared- that this 'descension' and preaching took place during the period of the Old Covenant when He would manifest Himself as you convey- that was a new explanation to me- also Pastor Begg considred the 'spirits' to be angels which I hadn't heard that before either-

I consider that as soon as Christ yielded up His Spirit, on the Cross- that one of the astounding things that happened according to Matthew 27:52,53- that"and the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many"
Not sure if this ties in at all with this- anyway- just had been perplexed by the more recent explanation- and wondered if it was ever preached elsewhere- I don't recall our former pastor of 20 years speaking about it- probably being unsure.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:
lesterb wrote:Have you heard the song The Little Boy From the Carpenter's Shop?
No, is there a way I can online? I assume it has something to do with this-
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9lHUhSl3M8
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

https://lbauman.ca/cornerstone-melodies/
About halfway down the page.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Valerie wrote:
lesterb wrote:Have you heard the song The Little Boy From the Carpenter's Shop?
No, is there a way I can online? I assume it has something to do with this-
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9lHUhSl3M8
Thank you, what a fascinating song- never heard anything that spoke of this before-
0 x