Church Attendance

General Christian Theology
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Church Attendance

Post by Once Again »

What do you think? If it is not possible to attend a Biblical church (by this I mean conservative Anabaptist/Kingdom christian), is one better off spiritually to worship at home? Or should a person worship at a church that mixes the truth with false teaching? Is there a point where there is too much false teaching? Where would you draw the line?
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Church Attendance

Post by RZehr »

My observation is that as convictions grow, the less beneficial it becomes to be part of an unsatisfactory church. I'm not answering your question, just perhaps adding to the subject.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We advised Lucy in Northern Ireland to attend a local church rather than attempt to worship alone. We suggested a Gospel Hall which was less than 5 minutes walk from her home. I would always recommend that you know what you believe so that you can leave those things which don't feel right. We have no experience with this ourselves so can only express an opinion. but I feel brotherhood and church fellowship are more important than many of the smaller details.
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Once Again wrote:What do you think? If it is not possible to attend a Biblical church (by this I mean conservative Anabaptist/Kingdom christian), is one better off spiritually to worship at home? Or should a person worship at a church that mixes the truth with false teaching? Is there a point where there is too much false teaching? Where would you draw the line?
What does the Bible say?
Hebrews 10:25 wrote:... not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
If you think that the Kingdom of God consists only of conservative Anabaptists, I think you are missing out on a lot of the Kingdom of God. There is only one foundation, and it is not a particular denomination.
1 Cor 3:11 wrote:For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
And I think you can learn some important biblical truths in other churches that might not be emphasized in any one particular denomination.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

Bootstrap,

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions at what point they would leave a church that is going astray from Biblical teachings. A discussion of which groups fit in the kingdom christian category is a good topic, but I'd like to keep that discussion separate from this one.

Laura
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Once Again wrote:What do you think? If it is not possible to attend a Biblical church (by this I mean conservative Anabaptist/Kingdom christian), is one better off spiritually to worship at home? Or should a person worship at a church that mixes the truth with false teaching? Is there a point where there is too much false teaching? Where would you draw the line?
I/we have considered this seriously. We have yet to be a part of any congregation that doesn't emphasize the Bible- (well I should clarify- the Ancient Church of the Orthodox emphasize both written AND oral teachings of the Apostles and their successors so it is not 'Bible ALONE') but in every congregation we've been a part of under the broadest category of Protestant- (all denominations that started in the Reformation era and later, as new ones start constantly) we have come to the conclusion that while attempting at best to follow Scripture- EACH denomination has their own interpretations while fully using the Bible- each places emphasis on certain aspects of it, over others- so we have had to conclude that we will, if we chose to attend a protestant denomination of any that came out of the reformation era or later, we will have to accept that we will (and have) heard interpretations that disagree with each other-
where do you draw the line? heresy- and who determines heresy? I was told there are 'big' heresies and 'little' heresies- but Truth is important, to willingly sit under false teaching can be dangerous-
We are still trying to discern ourselves what to do- but to stay home? I know a brother in the Lord who does just that and chooses to listen or watch sermons via radio or online. He believes ALL denominations are somewhat apostate- or incorrect (of course that IS how new denominations seem to pop up- someone who thinks THEY will now start the right church)
When we do this we are missing out on fellowship and actually Scripture teaches against forsaking the assembling together of ourselves, of course this was when true Apostolic doctrine was more clear-- but it Scripture teaches against false teachers and doctrines- for me I guess if it starts really troubling/confusing me to keep hearing things that I know are incorrect, then I question the Holy Spirit being active in the Church- I don't know- the 'criteria' for drawing the line would be different for each person I think on what area of Scripture they deem most important to be correct on-
We see many denominations now 'split' over the homosexual/LGBT issues- people even saying the Bible has been misinterpreted all these years!
When we have been shown areas of 'heresy' and chose to sit under heretical denominations- I am concerned if we will be accountable for that-

These are the strangest of times in Christendom no doubt- I know as we get closer to the Second Coming of Christ- where the "Falling away of THE faith" precedes His Second Advent- it will be increasing more challenging to find congregations/assemblies that teach without 'guessing' some things here and there- and we can either accept that and chose fellowship or if it's that troubling, have home groups- I don't know
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Once Again wrote:Bootstrap,

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions at what point they would leave a church that is going astray from Biblical teachings. A discussion of which groups fit in the kingdom christian category is a good topic, but I'd like to keep that discussion separate from this one.

Laura
Laura:
Have you followed the thread "What is a Deal Breaker for You?" Some of the answers there are similar to what you ask.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Once Again wrote:I'm interested in hearing people's opinions at what point they would leave a church that is going astray from Biblical teachings. A discussion of which groups fit in the kingdom christian category is a good topic, but I'd like to keep that discussion separate from this one.
Sorry if I missed your point, Laura.

I'm not sure I have a black and white answer to your question. I am a member of a conservative Presbyterian church where people are really serving other people and take the Bible very seriously, but the theology is more Calvinist than I am comfortable with, and though we take a hard stand against gay sex, we remain part of a denomination that does not. When I joined, I was very clear that my theology is not Calvinist, and they had no problem with that. And they aren't hard line Calvinist, that would have been impossible for me. I think the hardest thing for me is that they baptize infants, they have a covenant understanding of infant baptism, and I think that strays from biblical teaching.

To me, having the right theological answers to every question really isn't at the heart of biblical faith. I feel like I am in a place where I can serve God, and that is more important to me. There are people with prison ministries, building Habitat houses, traveling to the Congo to foster a university and seminary there, providing free medical care at a clinic, mentoring missionaries, and raising support for a variety of missions. I am coordinating our work with two Syrian refugee families and teaching Sunday School, and there are people who can help me discern some other things I feel called to do right now that are in an earlier phase.

I can only join a church that takes the Bible seriously as our guide for life and faith. But I can be part of a church with some understandings I disagree with. There's a level of twisting that I could not tolerate, like the twisting people use to justify gay marriage or politicized right-wing activism. I suppose I look for a church that is mostly about the things the New Testament is mostly about, and a church I can grow in. And I look for a church where at least a significant number of people are taking their discipleship seriously.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I think one is better off worshipping with other brothers and sisters. Each group has its plusses and minuses. Non of us, and no congregation, is perfect.
0 x
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

Hats Off wrote:
Once Again wrote:Bootstrap,

Laura
Laura:
Have you followed the thread "What is a Deal Breaker for You?" Some of the answers there are similar to what you ask.

No, I hadn't that thread. I looked at it and it touches on things I've been wondering about. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Laura
0 x