Denying Grace

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Denying Grace

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: I agree that we are also called to strive - but there are probably just as many texts telling us to leave things in God's hands, trust in him, etc. It sounds like a paradox, but I think both halves are essential. And I think it's easy to focus on just one half of the equation.
And typically I will focus on one half while Sudsy will focus on the other half, even when we agree that that both halves are essential. It is simply a function of who we are - we both need to focus on the other half of the equation as well.
I think the half we focus on the most has a lot to do with our church environment. Those who grew up in a strict rules based environment, imo, tend not to speak much about the necessity for the Spirit's enabling power to live an obedient life. It often sounds to me like dogged determination through choices we make and little is said about the supernatural involved in making those choices. On the other hand, those who have more of a background where the Holy Spirit is talked about often and the need for constant fillings, focus more on the need for on-going Holy Spirit fillings to be capable of obeying. This is where I lean but mainly due to my personal experience of failing too often when I lean on my own power to make right choices. And where I see either of these that appear to be the focus, it is not the focus but either acting religious to fit in or being swept away with emotionalism.

I agree we need both to strive and to rely on God's power. You might view our bigger challenge to be one of not striving enough to obey while I might view that the bigger lack today is in having a relationship with God through the Holy Spirit that causes us to desire to obey. For me, it is a difference in 'having to' or 'wanting to' for it is God who works in us both to will and to do what He desires. By 'letting go and allowing God', l am surrendering to His work in my life. He has begun this work and He will complete it. My striving is more in allowing Him access to do His work.

Good topic. Would love to hear more of your and other's thoughts.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit