Bad theology on mental health spoken to

Post by joshuabgood »

Well worth a watch...also a big amen to his thoughts on "common grace."

3 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bad theology on mental health spoken to

Post by barnhart »

I approve this message. Be wise, some will say all mental health struggles can be solved by rebuking the devil, or applying more discipline and some will say they can all be resolved with medication. But remember Jesus commonly didn't distinguish between the spiritual and the physical, his healing usually included both components.
2 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

barnhart wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:08 pm I approve this message. Be wise, some will say all mental health struggles can be solved by rebuking the devil, or applying more discipline and some will say they can all be resolved with medication. But remember Jesus commonly didn't distinguish between the spiritual and the physical, his healing usually included both components.
Those are the passages where I strongly prefer the KJV translation over more modern English ones, where what is translated as "made whole" in the KJV is rendered as "healed". Both are accurate, but "made whole" does better at confronting the Western tendency to separate the physical from the spiritual. Both the people of Jesus' time, and, incidentally, traditionally animist tribal people like the Banawa already know that man is one being. It is the Western thought that creates a dichotomy (or, in the Western church, a trichotomy).

EDIT:
I do want to make clear that I do not deny the existence of disorders that are solely either medical in nature, or spiritual in nature. And then there are others that are the two causes, intertwined. But Jesus is powerful to heal ALL of these, to make the person whole.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Grace

Post by Grace »

I agree 100% with what is being said in the video. I know of a young lady who was extremely wounded by the thinking promoted by John MacAurther. She went though a rough patch in her vulnerable teen years and was labeled as demon possessed. In her adult years she stabilized and is doing well.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Is MacArthur gradually getting more extreme or was he always this way and I didn't notice.
0 x