ESV Translation on 1 Corinthians 11

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: ESV Translation on 1 Corinthians 11

Post by Josh »

For the record, I don’t think the Christian has to have a unique appearance.

I do think it can happen sometimes simply by living a quiet, simple, and modest life.

The Bible does not teach we need to make sure to wear identical clothing styles to our neighbours.
3 x
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Josh wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:25 pm For the record, I don’t think the Christian has to have a unique appearance.

I do think it can happen sometimes simply by living a quiet, simple, and modest life.

The Bible does not teach we need to make sure to wear identical clothing styles to our neighbours.
I agree. However, there's a lot to be said for a cohesive group identity. Like that reddit article that postulates (given the current birth rates) that eventually there'll only be Amish and Orthodox Jews (with a few million "religiously confused Reform Jews) in the USA. Nice dream...
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:24 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:25 pm For the record, I don’t think the Christian has to have a unique appearance.

I agree. However, there's a lot to be said for a cohesive group identity. Like that reddit article that postulates (given the current birth rates) that eventually there'll only be Amish and Orthodox Jews (with a few million "religiously confused Reform Jews) in the USA. Nice dream...
I agree - there really is a lot to be said for a cohesive group identity. The way that is expressed will be different in different groups.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One thing I really appreciate in Holdeman circles is that the Holdeman group identity is very strong, yet it is also open to invite any believers who wish to become members of the church.

Once in Israel, I met with a Ukrainian lady to visit who is a church member and lives there. We didn’t share a language fluently, so her son came along to translate. It was near Christmas time so she wanted to get out the hymn book and sing “Beautiful Beautiful Star” (there is a Ukrainian language version of our hymn book). It was a delightful time.

The group identity is stronger than ethnic ties. The historic Holdeman ethnic groups are Flemish, Frisian, Swiss, and Haitian, typically found in Canada, Kansas, Ohio, and Haiti, but no one group really predominates. This lends a character where our identity as Christians and then as Mennonites becomes more important.
0 x