The Cary Grant syndrome

General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

The Cary Grant syndrome

Post by RZehr »

I stumbled across this while looking up the pink mafia that JayP mentioned today in the other thread. I thought that this “syndrome” might be found in places beyond just the Catholic church.
Cary Grant was five times married and four times divorce. When asked why, he said his ex-wives thought they married Cary Grant. They were in for a rude surprise.
They married the image, not the man. They wed Cary Grant, but woke up to Archie Leach.

Catholics, especially converts to Rome, reflect this mentality. They don't convert to the church of Rome; rather, rather, they convert to an idea. They don't convert to the Roman Catholic church; rather, they convert to Roman Catholic theology.
They begin and end with an idea. And they stay inside their idea. That's why Catholicism is appealing to philosophically-minded types like Bryan Cross, Philip Blosser, and Michael Liccione.
By the same token, that's why they're impervious to factual disconfirmation. Philosophy is all about ideas. Abstract ideas. They superimpose their idea on the institution.

It makes no difference how great the mismatch between the ideal and the real, for the idea always matches the ideal, and it's the idea of Catholicism that's etched on their spectacles. They don't go to church; they go to their concept of church. They attend their mental construct.

http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2015/03/ ... e.html?m=1
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: The Cary Grant syndrome

Post by Soloist »

There is unfortunately a lot of truth here with seekers and Mennonites too.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 pm There is unfortunately a lot of truth here with seekers and Mennonites too.
I thought so.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Yes, sounds exactly like people who want to convert to the Amish, thinking they are walking into a Currier and Ives lithograph.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 pm There is unfortunately a lot of truth here with seekers and Mennonites too.
I thought so.
Some NMBs arrive with a notion,driven by what they seeking . We perhaps were blessed, as we went through the back door and had no clue what to expect.
2 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

In my experiences, I think this syndrome can be found in quite a few of life's choices: whether it is getting married; choosing a church; choosing a town or state in which to live; choosing a vehicle; choosing a college; choosing a job; etc.

I call it the "honeymoon vs reality" syndrome.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God