Which evangelisation method is most effective?

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Which evangelisation method is most effective?

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pmWhat are we calling success? Joining my church until death?
I am leaving that definition to the individual and his fellowship.
Max, what has worked best for the RCC?
As a fellowship at large the RCC tries to meet the needs of the community, e.g. Catholic ministries to the forgotten, the poor and the marginalised. Some who have come to Mass describe the sense of worship and presence of God that draws them. The Italian and Latino families often reach out to younger couples by inviting them to meals and making them feel a part of the family. Those who are drawn to the RCC mention these aspects the most.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Something I’ve seen missed is just simply inviting people to church services. Most people (where I live anyway) are so detached from what the Mennonite church is that they don’t even think they are welcome at any church services. My Mennonite raised brothers talk about the Spirit leading people but they also have almost no one they know coming to any services. My secret is: I simply do invite people! and we do have lots of visitors through that, they get more good gospel shared when they come.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pmI am leaving that definition to the individual and his fellowship.
Max, what has worked best for the RCC?
As a fellowship at large the RCC tries to meet the needs of the community, e.g. Catholic ministries to the forgotten, the poor and the marginalised. Some who have come to Mass describe the sense of worship and presence of God that draws them. The Italian and Latino families often reach out to younger couples by inviting them to meals and making them feel a part of the family. Those who are drawn to the RCC mention these aspects the most.
One of my coworkers son's (in his 20s) was just baptized into the Catholic Church the night before Easter. He was not raised going to Church but apparently a Catholic friend influenced him. He felt led to become Catholic- I would have loved to have known how it all transpired but my coworker didn't share details if she knew. Another young man at work goes to the same Church - I see him reading his Bible at lunch.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

NedFlanders wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm Something I’ve seen missed is just simply inviting people to church services. Most people (where I live anyway) are so detached from what the Mennonite church is that they don’t even think they are welcome at any church services. My Mennonite raised brothers talk about the Spirit leading people but they also have almost no one they know coming to any services. My secret is: I simply do invite people! and we do have lots of visitors through that, they get more good gospel shared when they come.
I think this is how it's mostly done at my church but I also believe the fact that our Pastor has a radio message helps. That's what caused us to first visit but we already were Christians. We are encouraged to give out the free New Testaments we have to give away & a as special tract.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I became a Christian during the Jesus Movement. What drew me in, was observing so many young Christians and their walk, their faith, their fellowship, their joy, their love & unity. Zeal. At the time, I "believed" but had not surrendered- I knew I was empty & void, needing Christ as Savior & Lord. So what "worked" at that time were many things, especially Christians bold in their faith & inviting people to hear. There were always invitations to respond to the Gospel message too.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

“Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one.”
This story comes to mind when thinking of evangelism. Sometimes those who evangelize will have a period or periods of discouragement as there are so many that need to be rescued and sin in the world might seem to be at a point that looks hopeless. But this story reminds me that if only one person is rescued through our part in their salvation, it is still very worth it to that person. God is still leaving the door open for more to be saved so until that door is closed, we are His means that He has chosen to use in rescuing the perishing.

Do we believe that and if so, what are the things keeping us from making a difference for that one ? Do we care ? I challenge myself with this same questioning.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit