The Great Dechurching

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

The Great Dechurching

Post by Bootstrap »

Interesting take on why fewer and fewer Americans go to church.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... op/674843/
Nearly everyone I grew up with in my childhood church in Lincoln, Nebraska, is no longer Christian. That’s not unusual. Forty million Americans have stopped attending church in the past 25 years. That’s something like 12 percent of the population, and it represents the largest concentrated change in church attendance in American history.
The Great Dechurching finds that religious abuse and more general moral corruption in churches have driven people away. This is, of course, an indictment of the failures of many leaders who did not address abuse in their church. But Davis and Graham also find that a much larger share of those who have left church have done so for more banal reasons. The book suggests that the defining problem driving out most people who leave is … just how American life works in the 21st century. Contemporary America simply isn’t set up to promote mutuality, care, or common life. Rather, it is designed to maximize individual accomplishment as defined by professional and financial success. Such a system leaves precious little time or energy for forms of community that don’t contribute to one’s own professional life or, as one ages, the professional prospects of one’s children. Workism reigns in America, and because of it, community in America, religious community included, is a math problem that doesn’t add up.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart

Re: The Great Dechurching

Post by barnhart »

I read somewhere the post 2000 de-churching is greater in numbers than the combined totals of the "great awakenings".
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I read the same thing.

If present trends continue, the only churchgoers left will be some traditionalist Catholics, Oneness Pentecostals, plain Anabaptists, and other assorted fringe groups like JWs.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Later in the same article:
The problem in front of us is not that we have a healthy, sustainable society that doesn’t have room for church. The problem is that many Americans have adopted a way of life that has left us lonely, anxious, and uncertain of how to live in community with other people.

The tragedy of American churches is that they have been so caught up in this same world that we now find they have nothing to offer these suffering people that can’t be more easily found somewhere else. American churches have too often been content to function as a kind of vaguely spiritual NGO, an organization of detached individuals who meet together for religious services that inspire them, provide practical life advice, or offer positive emotional experiences. Too often it has not been a community that through its preaching and living bears witness to another way to live.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Pray, hope and do not worry. St. Pio of Pietrelcina.
Social media does enjoy bleeding headlines. If every faithful Christian believer were to spend more time serving the Lord in real time and less time doom scrolling, a substantial change would continue: revival will continue to grow and the mass media and social media would still deny it is happening.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 am Pray, hope and do not worry. St. Pio of Pietrelcina.
Social media does enjoy bleeding headlines. If every faithful Christian believer were to spend more time serving the Lord in real time and less time doom scrolling, a substantial change would continue: revival will continue to grow and the mass media and social media would still deny it is happening.
You know, Max, that Atlantic article is neither social media nor “doomscrolling”… it is simply talking about a very serious reality. We need to be honest when revival is not growing.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I think many have quit going to church because there isn't any or much of the supernatural evident in these churches or those that are calling certain activities supernatural works of God, these occurrences are very suspect and in many cases, I believe, are fraudulent. Doesn't seem like the term 'born again' is used much or when it is used, the dramatic changes that being 'born again' bring, just don't show up.

In my early years in Pentecostalism and Evangelical Baptism, there was expected dramatic new beginnings in people's lives immediately. It wasn't a matter of saying the sinner's prayer, soon get baptised and join the church and yet not really having a new life in relationship with God. And some will go on like this their entire life never experiencing life in the Spirit but being quite faithful to what the local church expects of them to stay a member.

Today, I think, the younger generation does not see any drawing to this way of church life. Those churches that have a drawing for younger people are often those using all kinds of activities that have little to do with growing spiritually but rather cater to our fleshly side. They may stir the emotions for the moment and that is about it.

Guess I sound pretty negative about the situation but scripture does say - 2 Timothy 3:1-5
But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.
I especially think the last two I bolded is quite like many churches today. They may look the part of being a Christ follower to varying extents but there is no supernatural power evident in that form of godliness. And the last phrase says to 'avoid such men as these'. So perhaps the 'come out from among them' is not the world, as Jesus didn't do that, but rather come out from among this phony Christianity when and where we can.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pmToday, I think, the younger generation does not see any drawing to this way of church life. Those churches that have a drawing for younger people are often those using all kinds of activities that have little to do with growing spiritually but rather cater to our fleshly side. They may stir the emotions for the moment and that is about it.
Having taught for a decade in Texas during the time that much of this was happening, I would say that it also has a lot to do with the politicization of the church and church-driven culture wars. That just alienated a lot of young people who might otherwise have stayed in the church but drifted away when church became more about politics than any sort of Christian idealism. Young people are naturally idealistic and when churches abandon that they lose interest. I'm talking about basic Christian idealism as reflected in, for example, the Sermon on the Mount. Which is at its heart a message of love, compassion, and selflessness. And is about forgiving others and caring for the poor and marginalized.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pm In my early years in Pentecostalism and Evangelical Baptism, there was expected dramatic new beginnings in people's lives immediately. It wasn't a matter of saying the sinner's prayer, soon get baptised and join the church and yet not really having a new life in relationship with God. And some will go on like this their entire life never experiencing life in the Spirit but being quite faithful to what the local church expects of them to stay a member.
Dramatic, immediate changes are wonderful. But they are not the only way God works. Recently I heard a testimony from a young woman who was transformed from a teenager who hardly knew what church was to a wife and mother who has a passion for spiritual growth -- Bible study, prayer, fellowship, singing, nurturing her children. She's not perfect yet (who is?) but she has made dramatic changes. It's no less miraculous that it happened over several years instead of immediately.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pm In my early years in Pentecostalism and Evangelical Baptism, there was expected dramatic new beginnings in people's lives immediately. It wasn't a matter of saying the sinner's prayer, soon get baptised and join the church and yet not really having a new life in relationship with God. And some will go on like this their entire life never experiencing life in the Spirit but being quite faithful to what the local church expects of them to stay a member.
Dramatic, immediate changes are wonderful. But they are not the only way God works. Recently I heard a testimony from a young woman who was transformed from a teenager who hardly knew what church was to a wife and mother who has a passion for spiritual growth -- Bible study, prayer, fellowship, singing, nurturing her children. She's not perfect yet (who is?) but she has made dramatic changes. It's no less miraculous that it happened over several years instead of immediately.
But what you are describing is "churching" as opposed to "dechurching"

"Dechurching" as described in this article is people grew up in a particular church or denomination and have since drifted away. The question is why does THAT happen.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr