The Danger of Reactionary Theology

General Christian Theology
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

The Danger of Reactionary Theology

Post by MattY »

I listened to this podcast episode recently, part of the History of the Christian Church podcast series by Lance Ralston. He talked about Pietism, with some interesting comments about where Pietists went too far. It goes along with what I have been thinking lately about the danger of reactionary theology. This happens when Christians overemphasize certain points of doctrine or practice as a reaction to an error. They may be coming out of an institution, group, or theological system that taught the error, or they may think the error is threatening to encroach within their own group, or they may simply be quite appalled by the error for any number of reasons and wish to completely avoid it and track a different path. When this happens, ironically, an error often occurs in the opposite direction of the original error.

Here are some relevant quotes from the episode.
So the theological pendulum swung in Scholasticism way out toward a purely academic philosophizing. Then in the Reformation swung back toward Scripture as the basis of Faith and practice.

By the middle of the 17th C, Protestant dogmaticians defined the fundamentals of saving faith in such elaborate detail no one but an advanced scholar could hope to know them.

What came eventually to be called Pietism began simply as several uncoordinated efforts on the part of pastors to get their people to live out what they claimed to believe.

Pietism never became an established church or denomination. Rather, it was a movement that infiltrated most of the Protestant groups of Europe and aboard. It was the Pietistic urge to walk humbly with God that launched may of the distinctives that have marked a vibrant Evangelical Faith. Things like Bible printing and distribution, foreign missions, orphanages & schools, hospitals & ministries for the disabled & elderly. Pietists did all they could to fulfill the commandments to love God & others, and to carry the Gospel to the lost.

But, and here’s where the swinging pendulum ran too far with the Pietistic reaction to Protestant Scholasticism—In the move to prove true faith changes lives, some Pietists embraced the slogan “Life, not doctrine.” Instead of a balanced Both/And, they advocated an Either/Or that pitted theology against behavior.

Orthodoxy & Orthopraxy were divorced.

This indifference to doctrine saw Pietism becoming an unwitting ally to the Enlighten-ment’s attack on the Central Truth claims of Orthodox Christianity. Then it helped fuel the sentimentalism of the Enlightenment’s own pendulum swing into Romanticism.

With Pietism’s emphasis on the individual experience of conversion and a personal walk with God, the sense of Christian Community took a massive hit as well. Jesus wasn’t just the Savior of the world, He was now a PERSONAL Savior; the Savior of ME, rather than US. So, one of The Gospel’s greatest attractions, the priority & reality of restored love for God and others that had been so appealing since the first days of the Church, was diluted. Under a maturing Pietism, Christianity went from being a Faith that called people into community through a mutually shared life, to more of an individualistic focus on one’s personal experience of conversion & a daily walk with God.

So, some might ask – Why are we talking about Pietism in a series on Heretics and Heresy?

Good question.

Pietism itself isn’t heretical, not even close. But its history reveals an important truth the wise will glean. In emphasizing one thing, there’s the tendency to de-emphasize another. When balance is lost to the swinging pendulum of trends in human society, a door is opened to errors that can do great harm.

Pietism’s emphasis on personal conversion and the individual’s walk with God became an unwitting ally to the Enlightenment’s assault on historic, orthodox Christianity. It helped pre-position hundreds of thousands for the sentimentality, emotionalism, and anti-intellectualism of Romanticism.

Pietism is one of many reminders that a good thing can become a bad thing when it’s not carefully made to be a balanced thing.
I think this is an excellent reminder/warning.

We can see in history the results of overreaction and overemphasis in other theological movements as well.

I note that Anabaptism itself has at times had a similar aversion to theology/doctrine and also tended to just focus on life or behavior. Anabaptism is different because it's more focused on results and community than Pietism, which was more individual and experience-focused. But the point is the same: Orthodoxy & Orthopraxy, not one or the other.

Luther reacted to the errors of Catholicism - corruption, dead works, ritualism, and so on. In many ways, he did not go far enough - ecclesiology, relationship of the Christian to government, persecution of heretics, etc. But in his soteriology, he reacted strongly to Catholicism, and in the process, overreacted - going so far as to say, "Sin boldly." Now, that may have been hyperbole, and Luther said many other things that were different. But his theology tended toward overemphasis on justification and less on newness of life in the Holy Spirit. Whether he intended it or not, that's what happened in Lutheran churches.

Calvin also overreacted, with similar results to Luther. Instead of Catholic works and penance doctrine, he emphasized total depravity, so that in his theology, people have no free will to choose to follow Christ; instead, everyone was unconditionally chosen or damned from the beginning of creation.

Menno Simons and the Anabaptists reacted to the magisterial Reformers because they did not separate the church from the state and did not try to set up a pure church filled only with true believers. But in their emphasis on purity and church discipline, they ended up arguing over tertiary matters and excommunicating each other, damaging their witness to the watching world. Menno even excommunicated the Swiss Brethren for not accepting his strict views on excommunication.

Pelagius overreacted to moral corruption in the 5th century church. Born in Britain, he took his faith seriously, lived an ascetic life like many others around him, and became a monk. Then he went to Rome for further study, and was shocked by the lack of morality in the church there. His concerns were more pastoral than theological; he was worried about people being apathetic about their own sins. So he said everyone has the natural ability to not sin, without needing any supernatural enabling by God. Just look to Christ's example and choose not to sin. His theology made Christ into merely an Example and not truly a Savior.

Augustine had been a pagan, and not just any pagan but a rank sinner, prior to his conversion to Christ. His theology also came from his own experience. He didn't reform by his own self-will or a vow to do better. In his view, he had been completely in the power of sin until God's grace rescued him, and so he owed it all to God's mercy. He referenced Romans 7, "Who will free him from this death-laden body, if not your grace, given through Jesus Christ our Lord?" So like Calvin, he found no place for free will, overemphasized human inability, and taught double-predestination.

Fundamentalism overreacted to liberalism and tended to lack grace and humility, made too many debatable questions into essentials of the faith (or devolved into constantly arguing about what the essentials and non-essentials are), and tended to set up too many man-made rules and boundaries, especially in the conservative Mennonite case.

Related to that, J.S. Coffman began in the late 1800's to preach about his list of ordinances (which is where conservative Anabaptists today get our list of 7 ordinances). There was a desperate need for more Biblical teaching and awareness of why Anabaptists practiced what they did, and Coffman's teaching helped. But it tended to lead to the elevation of certain commands over all others and a sort of mystical ritualism as a result. Coffman himself commented later, “The Virginia church and conference has done much legislating to keep our people down out of the world in dress and other things, but in spite of all the keeping down they have done, their young men are now more conformed to the world than ours at Elkhart where we do not legislate much, but do some teaching on this point, and instead put our young people to work and have them contend for these principles…. They have tried too much to do by force of law what grace alone can do. What is it worth to keep people down in any sense if they submit only by constraint? We are in the dispensation of grace, and I shall never again help to legislate on outward forms as I did once in the Virginia conference when I did not know better. But I shall work harder in another way for the same principle.”

How about me or you? Some of us may have tendencies to react against standards in the church from our youth; some react against things we see in the broad evangelical movement, and so on. For example, if we overreact to Calvinist or evangelical theology, we may end up saying things about our own works and abilities that are contrary to what Menno Simons himself said here. Can we take care not to have a reactionary theology?
3 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Danger of Reactionary Theology

Post by Josh »

Pelagius overreacted to moral corruption in the 5th century church. Born in Britain, he took his faith seriously, lived an ascetic life like many others around him, and became a monk. Then he went to Rome for further study, and was shocked by the lack of morality in the church there. His concerns were more pastoral than theological; he was worried about people being apathetic about their own sins. So he said everyone has the natural ability to not sin, without needing any supernatural enabling by God. Just look to Christ's example and choose not to sin. His theology made Christ into merely an Example and not truly a Savior.
Or at least that’s what Pelagius’s accusers claimed. He also claimed Christianity included non-resistance and took literally Jesus’ statement that a rich man can’t enter the kingdom of heaven; Augustine wanted to promote just war doctrine, and was successful in denouncing Pelagius as a “heretic”.

I would say the person who follows Jesus’ teachings is the one who knows him as Saviour.
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I think this is a great topic. Finding the truth is hard to do. Reacting to falsehoods or damaging theologies or lies is not a guarantee to find truth.

However, I find that topics like this, when covered in a podcast, are almost always done by Protestant bros, almost always reformed bros, who have almost no desire to critique their own tradition. If this podcast is including Pietism in their podcast about heresies, are they willing to cover Luther or Calvin in the same podcast, to highlight their false emphases, excesses, and reactions? All the reformers actually had fairly Biblical doctrines written until they started reacting against the anabaptists, and then they all went off the deep end into false doctrine and preaching. Would this podcast include an episode on reformed-leaning evangelical churches who lean so heavily on the importance of "right (read: Reformed) doctrine" that they talk about having a "saving knowledge" of Jesus, hinting strongly at a modern gnostic heresy?

I really appreciate a nuanced position that looks at the positives of each tradition within Christianity. One person told me they heard the idea that each denomination had a "charis"... a gift, a thing they bring to the church universal. I myself know where my convictions and limitations lie, but I can also "see the good" in many traditions outside my own. I certainly would try to put effort into emphasizing the good they did while addressing the bad, but including a heterodox movement in a podcast on heresies seems like an uncharitable move.
4 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

MattY wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pm
I think this is an excellent reminder/warning.

We can see in history the results of overreaction and overemphasis in other theological movements as well.

...Can we take care not to have a reactionary theology?
MattY, I agree: it is indeed an excellent reminder and warning as well as an excellent topic.

Personally I have found that Newtonian physics' "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" can also be applied to the state of human behavioral psychology. Which begs the question: If in taking care to avoid reactionary theology, are we creating a paradigm that in itself will be reacted against?

The Holy Trinity and Christ's Sacrifice for us are the central core of our collective Faith. Likewise I too, have wondered at various points in my life how in history man has made such a dog's breakfast of that simply professed theology. Then I am reminded that God perfects all of the dog breakfasts we make of our lives and discipleship. He is much wiser than all of us combined.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Menno even excommunicated the Swiss Brethren for not accepting his strict views on excommunication.
MattY, I just want to say that thus sentence made me laugh out loud.

Luther also "excommunicated" Zwingli and the reformed church in Geneva because they couldn't agree on the metaphysics at play in the Lord's Supper.

And speaking back to Menno Simon's, a reactionary theology he had was the "divine flush" theory of the incarnation. A protestant reformer was reacting against the Roman theology of the immaculate conception (the idea that Mary was sinless), and described Jesus as having Original Sin. Menno reacted against this theology and posited that Jesus wasn't exactly conceived of Mary, but that Mary was just a vessel for carrying Jesus, and contributed nothing material to his conception. The incarnation of God passed through her like water passes through a pipe, but Jesus was not, properly understood, incubated in her womb as with a normal child.

I think these days a good number of Anabaptists and Kingdom Christian's like David Bercot are very reactionary against assurance of salvation, or eternal security, or once-saved-always-saved, whatever you want to call it. This theology has a lot of nuance and is very Biblical, but imo Bercot and the Mennonites/anabaptists/Kingdom Christiand in his camp tend to react against a strawman of this theology instead of seeking to understand and elaborate a well-thought-out biblical expression of the doctrine of salvific security.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Assurance of salvation and Reformed/Baptist style “eternal security” aren’t really the same thing at all.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MattY wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pmCan we take care not to have a reactionary theology?
Just a note to say that I really appreciate this topic and your OP.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MattY

Post by MattY »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am
Menno even excommunicated the Swiss Brethren for not accepting his strict views on excommunication.
MattY, I just want to say that thus sentence made me laugh out loud.

Luther also "excommunicated" Zwingli and the reformed church in Geneva because they couldn't agree on the metaphysics at play in the Lord's Supper.

And speaking back to Menno Simon's, a reactionary theology he had was the "divine flush" theory of the incarnation. A protestant reformer was reacting against the Roman theology of the immaculate conception (the idea that Mary was sinless), and described Jesus as having Original Sin. Menno reacted against this theology and posited that Jesus wasn't exactly conceived of Mary, but that Mary was just a vessel for carrying Jesus, and contributed nothing material to his conception. The incarnation of God passed through her like water passes through a pipe, but Jesus was not, properly understood, incubated in her womb as with a normal child.

I think these days a good number of Anabaptists and Kingdom Christian's like David Bercot are very reactionary against assurance of salvation, or eternal security, or once-saved-always-saved, whatever you want to call it. This theology has a lot of nuance and is very Biblical, but imo Bercot and the Mennonites/anabaptists/Kingdom Christiand in his camp tend to react against a strawman of this theology instead of seeking to understand and elaborate a well-thought-out biblical expression of the doctrine of salvific security.
Agreed with all of this. Appreciate the interaction. I also just want to ask, is a divine flush similar to a royal flush? ;)
2 x
Almighty, most holy God
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
MattY

Post by MattY »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 am Assurance of salvation and Reformed/Baptist style “eternal security” aren’t really the same thing at all.
Agreed. (Reformed "perseverance of the saints" isn't really the same as Baptist "once saved always saved" either, but without proper teaching by Reformed leaders, it can be the same on the popular level, as I've observed by coworkers who think they're Calvinist talking about it. I disagree with both).

But then it should take careful teaching not to discard the former while refuting the latter. I remember reading one of Bercot's books, and while I don't remember exactly what he said (I don't think I own the book), I remember thinking he went too far in his discussion about assurance, even though he didn't outright deny it.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Josh

Post by Josh »

I personally prefer the Old Order view of a “hope of salvation”, and I think it gets a bad rap, mostly due to overexcited evangelists who were busy trying to convert OO people back in the days of tent revivals.

I wish they would have some self introspection at where their churches ended up… some of which obvious are it in the grace of salvation of Christ anymore, or at least if we believe what the scriptures say about those who won’t enter the kingdom of heaven.

Nonetheless, I feel it’s acceptable for Anabaptists hold either a hope view or an assurance view and we should both respect each other.
1 x