2/3 of Roman Catholic Churches in Baltimore to close

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: 2/3 of Roman Catholic Churches in Baltimore to close

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 pm More than one truth can be present.
Did the abuse scandals cost the Balt Archdiocese financially? Absolutely
Did they wait too late to do consolidation due to dwindling numbers? Unquestionably

Was this Archdiocese led well over the years? Heck no.

Did you know the unofficial but widely used nickname for the St. Mary’s Seminary has been “The Pink Palace”

It’s always been a bastion of the Catholic gay mafia.
I don’t appreciate that. It’s depressing… I do appreciate your willingness to not mince words but rather openly speak what you believe.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Did they wait too late to do consolidation due to dwindling numbers? Unquestionably

Did you know the unofficial but widely used nickname for the St. Mary’s Seminary has been “The Pink Palace”

Yes, I am well aware of this. The name I heard for St. Mary’s is St fairy. Bad leadership almost always has bad results.

Did a bit of thinking. It seems that the Latin Mass bastions have a far better attendance profile than many of the others. Where my Latin neighbors attend stays open, the parish that I attended as a child is closing. Go figure.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

The fact is any religion, regardless even of its truth, that ASKS of you is more likely to be supported than those that do not.
People want to believe in something that is worthwhile.

You strive through Marine boot camp precisely BECAUSE it is hard.

That does not mean harder is better, and a religious belief should keep upping the ante.
Mainline Protestantism that asks nothing produces nothing.
Namby Pamby feel good Catholicism will not last, for if there is nothing there, how long can nothing last.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This post strikes me as opinionated gossip rather than fact-based. Some additional information that is fact-based is essential to a complete picture as it were.
I do know individual priests from the Archdiocese of Baltimore and even some who graduated from St. Mary's. They are not homosexual and came to the priesthood as military men who became chaplains. A few are ex-Anglican and ex-Lutheran priests and are married; they converted and were accepted into the seminary to become Catholic priests.

As for whether the diocesan management had issues, that is for the judgment of God and the Vatican to determine.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:06 am
This post strikes me as opinionated gossip rather than fact-based. Some additional information that is fact-based is essential to a complete picture as it were.
I do know individual priests from the Archdiocese of Baltimore and even some who graduated from St. Mary's. They are not homosexual and came to the priesthood as military men who became chaplains. A few are ex-Anglican and ex-Lutheran priests and are married; they converted and were accepted into the seminary to become Catholic priests.

As for whether the diocesan management had issues, that is for the judgment of God and the Vatican to determine.

Feel free to provide any collaborating evidence otherwise based on historical sources, Jay is reliable and you are not.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:35 am

Feel free to provide any collaborating evidence otherwise based on historical sources, Jay is reliable and you are not.
The post from Jay is based upon hearsay off of the internet 20+ years ago. The records of the men who became priests as chaplains and converts are in the records of the Archdiocese and the seminary. As to whether Jay is reliable and I am reliable is up to God and the Vatican, not anyone's opinion. Opinions are not helpful. Facts are.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:59 am
The post from Jay is based upon hearsay off of the internet 20+ years ago. The records of the men who became priests as chaplains and converts are in the records of the Archdiocese and the seminary. As to whether Jay is reliable and I am reliable is up to God and the Vatican, not anyone's opinion. Opinions are not helpful. Facts are.
You are correct, opinions are not helpful and yours based on past historical records on Mennonet are less then reliable and outright fabrications in some specific posts. This is accepted as fact by many here. Hence why it makes total sense to challenge your opinions you are claiming as fact with no supporting evidence aside from your own written words.
I again agree
Opinions are not helpful. Facts are.
where are your facts?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

No it actually is up to the judgement of the courts of the state of Maryland.

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov ... _Abuse.pdf

They declared bankruptcy to avoid all of the civil judgments they would have to pay.

Ultimately, because they failed to judge themselves rightly, Caesar (the civil rulers) will judge them. He does not carry the sword in vain.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

JayP wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 am The fact is any religion, regardless even of its truth, that ASKS of you is more likely to be supported than those that do not.
People want to believe in something that is worthwhile.

You strive through Marine boot camp precisely BECAUSE it is hard.

That does not mean harder is better, and a religious belief should keep upping the ante.
Mainline Protestantism that asks nothing produces nothing.
Namby Pamby feel good Catholicism will not last, for if there is nothing there, how long can nothing last.
That is exactly my brother’s complaint. Go in, watch the show, head for the exits as soon as the benediction is pronounced.

He found out that our church is still full, an hour and a half after the service “you all must like each other.”
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:19 pm

No it actually is up to the judgement of the courts of the state of Maryland.

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov ... _Abuse.pdf

They declared bankruptcy to avoid all of the civil judgments they would have to pay.

Ultimately, because they failed to judge themselves rightly, Caesar (the civil rulers) will judge them. He does not carry the sword in vain.
The Catholic Church sex abuse scandals in Baltimore (and elsewhere) wasn’t really about gay priests or liberal priests.

What it was actually about was the Catholic Church leadership in the Baltimore Archdiocese and many other jurisdictions failing to address the problem of sex abuse of minors for decades from the 1960s up through the early 2000s and beyond. So this is a time period starting with Pope Paul VI and spanning the entire papacies of John Paul and Benedict and culminating with Francis at the very tail end. Essentially it was the Baltimore Archdiocese that recycled pedophiles for decades in and out of different jurisdictions to hide them from public view and avoid any accountability that would reflect poorly on the church. Much of the Baltimore scandal falls at the feed of Cardinal Sheehan and his successor Archbishop Borders who both notoriously recycled pedophile priests for decades and took every effort to cover up every report of abuse.

It was a complete and total failure of leadership from the pope on down.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr