Putting people on the hotseat, making it a fight

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Putting people on the hotseat, making it a fight

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm Oh, I'm not offended. Just pointing out what's going on. I understand you like to discuss what the Bible teaches about things that involve other people's behavior on MN, but some of us don't especially like doing that while pretending that we're not discussing specific people and their posting habits.

Discussing these type of things in the abstract seems pointless to me, as when it comes to actual practice it seems obvious that we are miles apart even when we agree in the abstract.
To me, this automatically does three things:

1. Puts people on the hotseat.
2. Turns it into a fight.
3. Takes attention away from actually discussing what the Bible teaches and what good looks like, according to the Bible.

Instead, it turns into a fight, people are asked to prove something specific about some particular person getting it wrong, etc. "Can you prove to my satisfaction that X is getting it wrong? If not, what right do you have to ask what the Bible teaches us to do". Completely opposite of looking at what the Bible tells us we should be doing.

So no, I won't do that.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Putting people on the hotseat, making it a fight

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm Oh, I'm not offended. Just pointing out what's going on. I understand you like to discuss what the Bible teaches about things that involve other people's behavior on MN, but some of us don't especially like doing that while pretending that we're not discussing specific people and their posting habits.

Discussing these type of things in the abstract seems pointless to me, as when it comes to actual practice it seems obvious that we are miles apart even when we agree in the abstract.
To me, this automatically does three things:

1. Puts people on the hotseat.
2. Turns it into a fight.
3. Takes attention away from actually discussing what the Bible teaches and what good looks like, according to the Bible.

Instead, it turns into a fight, people are asked to prove something specific about some particular person getting it wrong, etc. "Can you prove to my satisfaction that X is getting it wrong? If not, what right do you have to ask what the Bible teaches us to do". Completely opposite of looking at what the Bible tells us we should be doing.

So no, I won't do that.
I think there is a big difference between calling people out or disagreeing with them in the flow of a discussion thread on another topic. That seems fair game and is just part of the flow of a discussion thread. Versus creating a whole new discussion thread just to talk about some particular language or position that you want to call out in someone else. That seems gratuitous.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr