Calling people evil or demonic

General Christian Theology
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Calling people evil or demonic

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?

What is the results of watering down language? Let’s say someone is actually evil and demonic, but we don’t know, so we call it “bad” or perhaps “less than ideal” or maybe something else that minimizes the fact.

We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
Can you think of an example of Jesus calling someone demonic?
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:16 pm

Isn't the phrase "Brood of vipers" another term for "seed of the serpent," or "Satan's off-spring", namely the children of the Devil? I see very little difference between pointing out demonic behavior and calling someone "Satan's offspring".

Jesus did not water down his condemnation for evil people. Calling people a "brood of vipers" in today's world would not be politically correct and would bring on much condemnation and outrage. But isn't that the problem today? Whenever exposing evil, the person doing the exposing is accused of not being Christlike. Why is it when evil is pointed out, those pointing it out, get targeted? I believe that the killing of the unborn and mutilating gender confused children is evil. I believe that these evils come out of the abundance of hearts filled with evil. Yet when I mentioned that Biden pushes those evils, it seems to have upset people.

As Christians we need to decide, will we cuddle evil with nice sounding politically correct words or will we point it out for what it is. I agree that we need to project our words with kindness, something I fail to do at times. But I will call "evil" for what it is.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:16 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?

What is the results of watering down language? Let’s say someone is actually evil and demonic, but we don’t know, so we call it “bad” or perhaps “less than ideal” or maybe something else that minimizes the fact.

We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
No. But people in his day did.

And if it exists today, if people are/can/behave demonic, then (a) maybe we should know what it is, and maybe (b) we should be free to identify it as such.

If it does exist, what is served by pretending it does not?

Of course if there is no such thing as demonic behavior at all, and it is just functionally slinging pejorative language around, then we don’t have to know what it really means at all.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:09 pm boot,
Grace clarified her words.
In response to her clarification, do you agree some words, actions, policies, such as mutilation of children, esp for carnal goals, and/or efficient extermination of unborn human life, as gov policies, promoted+paid with public funds, are evil?
Good question.
It could be a poll question. So as to avoid anyone feeling they’re being unfairly targeted.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Grace

Post by Grace »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 pm
Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:09 pm boot,
Grace clarified her words.
In response to her clarification, do you agree some words, actions, policies, such as mutilation of children, esp for carnal goals, and/or efficient extermination of unborn human life, as gov policies, promoted+paid with public funds, are evil?
Good question.
It could be a poll question. So as to avoid anyone feeling they’re being unfairly targeted.
Interestingly the question was not answered.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:25 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 pm
Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 pm Good question.
Interestingly the question was not answered.
no, but another thread was started.
i doubt i’ll start a poll. it’s too depressing to think any member would not recognize whosesale evil openly celebrated.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm
And if it exists today, if people are/can/behave demonic, then (a) maybe we should know what it is, and maybe (b) we should be free to identify it as such.

Of course if there is no such thing as demonic behavior at all, and it is just functionally slinging pejorative language around, then we don’t have to know what it really means at all.
How about assuming it exists and responding as Jesus did.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:35 pm
One of my non-Mennonite employees once pointed out to me that I have a tendency to "make suggestions" or give strong hints such that people from my background understand it as a directive but he hears it as a mere suggestion. He said my communication would be more effective if I would adopt a more direct communication style. I think he was right.
I have had to learn the same thing; simultaneously, some of my (Mennonite background) associates need to be told directly to do certain things instead of “making suggestions”. It depends on the topic, I guess.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm For Christians who believe in the fruit of the Spirit and the fruit of the flesh, when is it appropriate to call someone evil or demonic? When does that look more like living by the fruit of the flesh?

What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
My view is probably not shared by some here but the way I see it is, we are only qualified to speak evil of others if the Spirit is truly leading us in what we say and we ourselves are in a sin free state. Jesus was as He was without sin and never acted in a sinful way. Jesus was often not gentle with the Pharisees but when they were going to cast stones at the woman caught in adultery, Jesus said to go ahead if you are without sin in your life. Then Jesus acted very gentle towards her as He revealed more to her about what He knew of her past life.

I believe we can point to acts that are sinful but not in a judging way on those who do these acts. 'Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged'. And in Philippians 4:4 we read - 'Let your gentleness be evident to all.'

So, although I fail in this area at times, I believe we can point out sinful ways but I believe we are crossing the line of judging others who do these sins and in so, are sinning ourselves.

Well, going to the Salvation Army this morning so I better get dressed. Will chat more later.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:53 am
RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm

How about assuming it exists and responding as Jesus did.
Doesn’t seem the wisest. Go around doing Mark 5:8 like Jesus did. When we don’t even know.

Story:
One time a man followed my Grampa home from church. Grampa went in the house and pretty soon there was a knock on the door. Grampa let him in and it wasn’t clear what the guy wanted. Eventually it came out that the man thought Grampa possessed and the man was there to cast it out of him.
Grampa shrugged and told the guy, “Alright, start casting then.” Then guy eventually left.
2 x