"Good Friday" and Matthew 12:40

General Christian Theology
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

"Good Friday" and Matthew 12:40

Post by JohnHurt »

Christ said:
Matthew 12:(40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
If Christ died and was buried on Friday evening, and then rose on Sunday morning, how is that 3 days and 3 nights?

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: "Good Friday" and Matthew 12:40

Post by Neto »

JohnHurt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am Christ said:
Matthew 12:(40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
If Christ died and was buried on Friday evening, and then rose on Sunday morning, how is that 3 days and 3 nights?

John
It is an old argument, one with all sorts of explanations on both sides. A fellow translator of ours believed that the Passover meal with his disciples was on Wednesday, and that his death was on Thursday. Special days in the Jewish religious calendar were also called "Sabbaths', so it is very difficult to exactly pinpoint the exact timing. What we CAN know, is that it was God's timing in his over-all plan of salvation. It is more important for us to recall what he did for each of us, than to be fixated on the exact human time table. (Just my opinion, of course.)
4 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I would agree with Neto
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Neto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am
JohnHurt wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am Christ said:

John
It is an old argument, one with all sorts of explanations on both sides. A fellow translator of ours believed that the Passover meal with his disciples was on Wednesday, and that his death was on Thursday. Special days in the Jewish religious calendar were also called "Sabbaths', so it is very difficult to exactly pinpoint the exact timing. What we CAN know, is that it was God's timing in his over-all plan of salvation. It is more important for us to recall what he did for each of us, than to be fixated on the exact human time table. (Just my opinion, of course.)
If Christ was killed on Thursday, and buried Thursday evening, and arose Sunday morning, that is 3 nights and only 2 days. It still does not fit.

What we all believe to be the truth will not ever fit Christ's prophecy, because our belief could be based on the wrong assumptions, namely that Christ arose on Sunday morning.

If you open your mind to discover the truth of what Christ said in Matthew 12:40, and read the Resurrection passages in Matt 28 and elsewhere, then you will understand that the tomb was empty on Sunday morning, and Christ had already arisen the Saturday evening before.

It is very plain if you read the texts with an open mind, and listen to what they said, namely "He is not here, for He is risen" Mt 28:6.

If Christ was buried in the evening, then He had to arise in the evening, 3 days and 3 nights later, just like He said.

If He was buried on Wednesday at evening, then He arose on Saturday at evening.

But here is why our minds are closed:

If Christ really arose on Saturday evening, then there is no valid reason for worshiping Christ on Sunday. And there is no valid reason for the celebration of Easter on Sunday, which was established by the First Council of Nicaea.

That is why Matthew 12:40 is ignored, and we are asked to concentrate on what He did for us, and not to worry about the details of His Doctrines. We have all made the mistake of worshipping Christ, without listening to what He actually said or told us to do. Luke 6:46.

Thank you for your response. If you can come up with any scenario that puts Christ "3 days and 3 nights" in the heart of the earth, I am interested. It is something I struggled with for a very long time, and it finally opened my eyes.

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

NedFlanders wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am
Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
It’s not that easy

Latin
surgens autem mane prima sabbati apparuit primo Mariae Magdalenae de qua eiecerat septem daemonia
Prima = first effectively, sabbati = sabbath
Αναστὰς δὲ πρωῒ πρώτῃ σαββάτου ἐφάνη πρῶτον Μαρίᾳ τῇ Μαγδαληνῇ, ἀφ᾿ ἧς ἐκβεβλήκει ἑπτὰ δαιμόνια.
σαββάτου is Sabbath, πρώτῃ = first

This isn’t particularly clear what is being said, it’s clear that πρώτῃ is used as first in other sections.

As for day, it’s translated in for day or for Sabbath, but there is a specific word used for day as well…

There are a number of conclusions one can draw from this but it doesn’t exactly agree with either position if we accept that it says He rose on the first Sabbath. I’m not arguing that he did but it gets confusing. Every single example I can find seems suggestive that “first day of the week” is interpreted contextually not by words. You have to understand, I’m not a scholar or educated on Greek… I’ve pondered this though and spoken to a few people on it.
0 x
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

Did the disciples believe the first day of the week was right for worship? I think so. Why would they do that?
Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

NedFlanders wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am Did the disciples believe it was the first day of the week? I think so.
Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
That one too…
in una autem sabbati cum convenissemus ad frangendum panem Paulus disputabat eis profecturus in crastinum protraxitque sermonem usque in mediam noctem
᾿Εν δὲ τῇ μιᾷ τῶν σαββάτων συνηγμένων τῶν μαθητῶν κλάσαι ἄρτον, ὁ Παῦλος διελέγετο αὐτοῖς, μέλλων ἐξιέναι τῇ ἐπαύριον, παρέτεινέ τε τὸν λόγον μέχρι μεσονυκτίου.
There are some better suggestions here at least but again Sabbath is being used.
0 x
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

But what does Sabbath mean?
If it automatically means Saturday - I think that misses the whole point. If it brings a focus on God and resting from our own work it makes more sense.
Hebrews 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
But then again Christ spoke about another day.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

NedFlanders wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 am But what does Sabbath mean?
If it automatically means Saturday - I think that misses the whole point. If it brings a focus on God and resting from our own work it makes more sense.
Hebrews 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
But then again Christ spoke about another day.
It possibly also means week.

I’m of the opinion that evidence for Sunday meetings is slim but I’m content to accept that the church started doing so and it’s not wrong.
2 x