Operation Reconquista - Reviving the Mainline Protestant denominations

General Christian Theology
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Operation Reconquista - Reviving the Mainline Protestant denominations

Post by RZehr »

While the majority of Mainline Protestant churches have been hijacked by secular liberalism, there is a strong minority of churches in each Mainline denomination (PCUSA, TEC, UMC, ELCA, RCA, UCC, ABCUSA) that have remained faithful. We encourage evangelical Christians to join, strengthen, and revive these non-liberal Mainline churches. Since liberal churches tend to die out, the conservative minority will eventually become a majority if we keep it strong. This is how we will recapture these institutions.

https://www.operationreconquista.com/
I just found this. Anyone know anything or have thoughts on it?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Operation Reconquista - Reviving the Mainline Protestant denominations

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm
While the majority of Mainline Protestant churches have been hijacked by secular liberalism, there is a strong minority of churches in each Mainline denomination (PCUSA, TEC, UMC, ELCA, RCA, UCC, ABCUSA) that have remained faithful. We encourage evangelical Christians to join, strengthen, and revive these non-liberal Mainline churches. Since liberal churches tend to die out, the conservative minority will eventually become a majority if we keep it strong. This is how we will recapture these institutions.

https://www.operationreconquista.com/
I just found this. Anyone know anything or have thoughts on it?
So basically a minority of conservatives in liberal mainstream congregations plan to wait out the more liberal elements that are the majority in those churches and assume they will just all go away in a generation or two?

I mean maybe....

Or maybe they should just get on with their lives and join churches that are more to their liking.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

One thing that puzzles me is that while the small-town or country main-line congregations still sing hymns, many of our Mennonite congregations go for the latest buzz. The lyrics of some of these new songs are OK, others are OK theologically, but are extremely poorly written, with weird wording that is obviously pushed to attempt to match the meter (with an "oh, oh!", or ooo, ooo, or whatever thrown in to take up the space they couldn't figure out how to fill with real words). Others are of questionable theological accuracy or value, or are so vague it's hard to make a fair judgement. Those are possibly the most dangerous ones, because the meaning is to a greater degree up to the people hearing them. (Example: "My sins they are many, his mercy is more." If it said "My sins they WERE many" a person could assume that the writer didn't intend to say that "I just keep on sinning at full speed, but Jesus mercy is greater than all of the sins I can manage to pile up, so I'm fine - It'll make no problem for me at the Golden Gates, no need to worry about my continued sinning.")

Other than that, and off topic, is a thought I've had recently. This is that
given that the main culture thinks we're on the strange side, what with the rather plain lifestyle and dress, etc.,
a question: Are we missing out on reaching the people groups who are actually somewhat in the same boat in respect to how the greater culture regards them?

For instance, Muslim people, and Orthodox Jewish people, who both maintain lifestyles that are also out of step with the major society.

Now, switch gears a bit, and let's think of how we can very possibly help the Amish who are spiritually on the same page as we are - with genuine faith - could we not do more to see the entire Amish people come to that same place, IF, instead of think of their areas as "a good place to put an outreach congregation", what if we worked with the Amish ministers, deacons, and lay people who have that living faith, to bring that message to those who have not yet been confronted with it?

I DO know a number of Old Order Amish ministers (and deacons and lay people) who are, it appears to me, fully engaged in the Christian life, not by "works of the law" but by "works of faith, through the Holy Spirit". But I also know of some districts that appear to be untouched by this. Can we help the ones who have "passed through the Narrow Gate" to reach their own people?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I have respect for believers who stay rooted where they were planted but I can't get on board with the militaristic, conquering language. If it were presented as long-term faithfulness, I would appreciate it more.
0 x