Evil and Violence

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Evil and Violence

Post by Sudsy »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm I think the attention we pay has to do with our understanding of belonging to another Kingdom as ambassadors of that Kingdom.
Do you think that the attention paid to MN's political threads demonstrates an understanding as belonging to another Kingdom?
Not when I participated in that Politics sub forum but since I have locked it out, I don't know if things have changed any. Personally, I believe attention paid to politics is primarily a hindrance to furthering the Gospel of the Kingdom and often gets Christians warring against each other.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 pm

In a republic and a democracy, you are as responsible as anyone else for what the government does with your money. Even if you choose not to vote or engage. That is the nature of living in a democracy.
Taxes are not my money. If the government does anything with my money against my will I'm not responsible for it.
The government is the people that you and your fellow citizens elected. You have just as much culpability in the decisions that they make as some cook on a Navy vessel does when it comes to the decisions that his military leadership makes.
Which is exactly zero culpability.

I don't think the cook on a Navy vessel is responsible for what the military leadership does.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm I think the attention we pay has to do with our understanding of belonging to another Kingdom as ambassadors of that Kingdom.
Do you think that the attention paid to MN's political threads demonstrates an understanding as belonging to another Kingdom?
Not when I participated in that Politics sub forum but since I have locked it out, I don't know if things have changed any. Personally, I believe attention paid to politics is primarily a hindrance to furthering the Gospel of the Kingdom and often gets Christians warring against each other.
Thanks for the response. I agree that what we pay attention to is a sign of what we truly value and believe. I do pay quite a bit of attention to politics, but I also don't claim that I'm not a political person. I also don't claim to be a conservative Mennonite and would have some substantial disagreements about what the Kingdom of God might look like.

As someone who is adjacent to conservative Mennonites, but also an outsider looking in, it does feel jarring to me when people who claim to be non-political spend so much time talking about politics.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Outside of Mennonet and plain news, I don’t read news.

Naturally I have no clue about all the conflicts in the world.

I don’t really think we need to know about all the wars going on nor do I think that we need to advocate the USA to intervene in all these conflicts.
The conflicts the media cares about don’t deserve extra attention over the conflicts I don’t know about outside of the fact we know about those ones the media is focusing on.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm
Thanks for the response. I agree that what we pay attention to is a sign of what we truly value and believe. I do pay quite a bit of attention to politics, but I also don't claim that I'm not a political person. I also don't claim to be a conservative Mennonite and would have some substantial disagreements about what the Kingdom of God might look like.

As someone who is adjacent to conservative Mennonites, but also an outsider looking in, it does feel jarring to me when people who claim to be non-political spend so much time talking about politics.
I certainly am not completely free of politics but am glad I can escape much of discussions around it with this feature to not get involved with it here.

My wife and I are fascinated and sometimes discouraged by how Christians are so taken with a Donald Trump and his many unChristlike ways and how he resembles more and more what I think scripture describes as the coming anti-Christ who will deceive many professing Christians. We have to be careful though to not despise him but rather desire his salvation from the deceptive strongholds of satan in his life.

I share your surprise at the attention some Anabaptists give politics especially with what I understand to be non-involvement. Some would never vote but they seem to be more aware of politics than unbelievers and also many other Christians. Something don't add up here, to me.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 pm Thanks for the response. I agree that what we pay attention to is a sign of what we truly value and believe. I do pay quite a bit of attention to politics, but I also don't claim that I'm not a political person. I also don't claim to be a conservative Mennonite and would have some substantial disagreements about what the Kingdom of God might look like.

Are you sure it’s not just jarring that they have political views that are different than yours?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm I certainly am not completely free of politics but am glad I can escape much of discussions around it with this feature to not get involved with it here.

My wife and I are fascinated and sometimes discouraged by how Christians are so taken with a Donald Trump and his many unChristlike ways and how he resembles more and more what I think scripture describes as the coming anti-Christ who will deceive many professing Christians. We have to be careful though to not despise him but rather desire his salvation from the deceptive strongholds of satan in his life.

I share your surprise at the attention some Anabaptists give politics especially with what I understand to be non-involvement. Some would never vote but they seem to be more aware of politics than unbelievers and also many other Christians. Something don't add up here, to me.
Being a conservative Anabaptist doesn’t mean being ignorant. I don’t watch or follow professional sports, but I still know what the Stanley Cup is or that the Cavs keep scoring 100+ point games or that the Patriots get the #3 draft pick.

It is interesting how those who don’t agree with plain Anabaptism often sit in an ivory tower, judging plain Anabaptists for not living up to their expectations that they themselves don’t even come close to meeting. It is analogous to those who complain that the Amish have drivers, yet who themselves own expensive cars and drive a great deal.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm That is why we have 318 posts here about Gaza in the past several months compared to none about Sudan.
None at all? Really?
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 pm There are lots of comments along the lines of "why doesn't the US do this or that thing in response to Gaza"
I would find it rather odd if there were lots of comments about "why doesn't Argentina do this or that thing in response to Gaza"
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm That is why we have 318 posts here about Gaza in the past several months compared to none about Sudan.
None at all? Really?
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 pm There are lots of comments along the lines of "why doesn't the US do this or that thing in response to Gaza"
I would find it rather odd if there were lots of comments about "why doesn't Argentina do this or that thing in response to Gaza"
My mistake, there was one thread from November about the Sudan war with 4 posts by GaryK asking why no one was talking about the war in Sudan. Which kind of actually supports my point: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6263

And no, it isn't odd that people ask "why the US doesn't do this or that thing in Gaza". They do so because they recognize that the US actually has agency and responsibility in Gaza. Which was also my point.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 pm Outside of Mennonet and plain news, I don’t read news.

Naturally I have no clue about all the conflicts in the world.

I don’t really think we need to know about all the wars going on nor do I think that we need to advocate the USA to intervene in all these conflicts.
The conflicts the media cares about don’t deserve extra attention over the conflicts I don’t know about outside of the fact we know about those ones the media is focusing on.
Imo, you are on a better track than some of us in obeying the Philippians 4:8-9 text. Trying to keep tract and have opinions on how this world operates can be a major distraction to keep us from maintaining an eternal perspective on life and rob us of real peace of mind, imo.

This reminds me of a church my aunt and uncle attended in Michigan (I won't be more specific) and they had a committee in their church that went and watched movies in the local theatres to provide the church a list of those they thought would be OK for the church members to go see. As if, it would be giving up too much in life to not go see the 'good ones'. We can often find excuses for the things the flesh wants to participate in but God knows our hearts and really what we are up to. Quite sobering when I think about it.

I do believe as Jesus modeled that there is a being in this world yet not of this world. We can become so withdrawn from worldly events and sinners that we are no spiritually good (not bringing others to the Kingdom) and we also can be the opposite of being so part of worldly stuff that the same outcome occurs. I believe Jesus demonstrated that when the primary focus is on His Kingdom the things going on in this world have little interest. A simple existence and knowledge of this world is plenty so our time and efforts can be put on eternal goals. Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit to guide and empower us to live above these earthly, temporary things and to enable us to further His Kingdom.

Some of us, self included, need constant reminders of what is best to ignore in this world (as it is really much of the same throughout history) so we can keep our focus on what scriptures tell us not to ignore and where to set our minds on, Philippisans 4:8-9. I like how verse 7 puts it - And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.'

So, if I'm obeying correctly I will not be rattled by the goings on in this world and will experience this peace that is beyond understanding.
0 x