Guided by Truth

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Guided by Truth

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to share our thoughts about being guided by the Holy Spirit and yet ending up with so many varied understandings of belief and practise in Christianity. As I was looking at the water baptism thread, this came to mind and I laid awake last night thinking about all the varied beliefs and practises that we get from the same scriptures. And some of these variations are not found in the scriptures or are of such a stretch of scriptures that they are very suspect.

For example, some believe one can take scripture in a 'simple' way but yet not always in a 'literal' way. And if the 'simple' way best represents their belief and practise then that is the correct way. Same goes for taking things in a 'literal' way. Scripture also says that the Holy Spirit will be our teacher and most would agree, I think, that the Holy Spirit does not teach one group of believers that this is what scripture means and another group that it means something else.

There are scriptures that support the belief that we can know truth and one that says the truth will set us free. There is also a scripture that says we 'now see through a glass darkly and only know in part'. Scripture that says that we need no man teach us as we have the anointing to know truth and yet other scriptures that point to the need for teachers.

There are scriptures that point us to being unified in our beliefs and practises and yet we have all kinds of splits and denominations with varied understandings and practises even of the same scriptures. And yet Jesus desire was that we be one as He and the Father are one.

So, everyone is welcome to share their way of understanding of why these differences occur when we have the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Guided by Truth

Post by steve-in-kville »

I do not mean to hijack your thread, but this has been on my mind a bit as well, or more along the lines of confusing an actual conviction for something when its maybe the flesh talking or simply a strong preference.

For example, when I was a young transplant, I worked for an EPMC owned woodshop. They were all about filing for exemption from social security taxes based on an alleged "conviction". In reality, they just didn't want to pay that extra tax. But they had themselves convinced it was a spiritual conviction.

Just my two cents.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:29 pm I do not mean to hijack your thread, but this has been on my mind a bit as well, or more along the lines of confusing an actual conviction for something when its maybe the flesh talking or simply a strong preference.

For example, when I was a young transplant, I worked for an EPMC owned woodshop. They were all about filing for exemption from social security taxes based on an alleged "conviction". In reality, they just didn't want to pay that extra tax. But they had themselves convinced it was a spiritual conviction.

Just my two cents.
It is interesting how you are able to know so much better than they what their motivation was.
0 x
steve-in-kville

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:58 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:29 pm I do not mean to hijack your thread, but this has been on my mind a bit as well, or more along the lines of confusing an actual conviction for something when its maybe the flesh talking or simply a strong preference.

Just my two cents.
It is interesting how you are able to know so much better than they what their motivation was.
Work with someone long enough, I'll figure it out.
1 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This is an interesting topic, Sudsy.
My experiences are that God treats us as individuals with individual needs, strengths and weaknesses. If God needs our skill set to further His Holy Will, He may call us in a way that is different from the call of others. Our God is a mighty God and His Sovereignty is a larger Kingdom than I think any of us can imagine. God's ways exceed our limited understandings and are often puzzling to the human mind.

God has so many different instructions in the NT as you pointed to here:
There are scriptures that support the belief that we can know truth and one that says the truth will set us free. There is also a scripture that says we 'now see through a glass darkly and only know in part'. Scripture that says that we need no man teach us as we have the anointing to know truth and yet other scriptures that point to the need for teachers.
I will add another if I may. I agree that God calls us to be unified with the Holy Trinity. Yet there is also this bit of a puzzler:
John 14
2 In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
Perhaps the answer is in the verse that precedes it?
John 14:1 “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.
At the end of the day and the end of my life, I have resolved to trust God to deal with it all and simply keep my prayer life alive so that I may know what God wants me to do. I am content to trust God deal with everyone else without the need of me jumping into the fray.

As always YMMV. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Just my two cents.
How do you know they didn’t do it out of conviction?

In today and age many people end up with less income if they are exempt from ss tax. Would you consider such people’s convictions more pure?
0 x
steve-in-kville

Short answer: they were like that in every aspect of their lives and business.... always trying to get around child labor laws, DOT regs, building permits, the whole nine yards.

That wasn't conviction. That was business. Don't have time to tell stories now. Maybe tomorrow.
0 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Just my two cents.
First I don't think you are hijacking this thread but rather making a valid point that 'convictions' need testing.

Yes, I think it quite possible that what we call a 'conviction' could be an application of a scripture that is rooted in what our flesh wants. And some of these 'convictions' are sometimes forced upon others if they want to be part of their group. Perhaps some of this sort of thing is the result of not really consulting the Holy Spirit in ways that we should go but rather just believing if something pops into our head that appears spiritually correct, then it is a conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Personally, I am more open to receive Holy Spirit guidance through another Christian if I see the fruit of the Spirit obvious in their life. When 'convictions' on truth are not supported by the fruit of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faith and self-control, then these 'convictions' could very well be from another spirit other than the Holy Spirit.

Scripture tells us to test the spirits to see if they are of God. I believe a false spirit(s) are always trying to get us off the truth of God and can be very appealing as satan himself masquerades as a spirit of light. 2 Cor 11:14. I believe it very possible that some of our interpretations of scripture are not God directed as we perhaps trust our own or someone else (perhaps even a pastor) thoughts and really don't seek to get confirmation of these 'truths' personally via the Holy Spirit.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit